Fishing Report Extra Virgin's perch rig

I am curious about this rig- are the beads heavy? Like brass or something? Or plastic? The long shank hooks look great. I will have to find some, as my perching can use all the help I can get!
@Octavius Brine I just had another look at my own rig’s that I own,and the beads aren’t heavy & they look like that they are made of plastic. There are all kinds of different coloured rigs out there to buy,and like @Extra Virgin had mentioned, that @ANGLING OUTFITTERS ( one of @stomp sponsors), does sell them there. But also as well is,which colour bead’s would work the best? 🤔 Therefore,experiment with different colours,such as bright colours for stained water,and natural colours,for clear water,etc. Tight lines to All!, and Perch,etc., ON!! 🚤🎣🐟🐟👍🙂

Attachments

• IMG_1745.jpeg
    IMG_1745.jpeg
    412.7 KB · Views: 37
Thanks @Red Hering I will keep an eye out for some of those! I can see why they must work well, with the hooks sitting nice and straight up, and able to turn freely around the main line but held in place by the beads. I like it.

Thanks @Red Hering I will keep an eye out for some of those! I can see why they must work well, with the hooks sitting nice and straight up, and able to turn freely around the main line but held in place by the beads. I like it.
You’re welcome @Octavius Brine 👊👊 and I am glad that I and @Extra Virgin could help you,and perhaps,others as well! 👍 It is definitely a great design for sure,and I am glad that @Extra Virgin had gotten me onto these rig’s a few year’s ago! Here’s hoping 🤞 for an ice fishing season on long point bay later. Tight lines & Perch ON!! 🚤🎣🐟🐟👍🙂

Attachments

• IMG_2155.jpeg
    IMG_2155.jpeg
    462.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Here's the info I posted years ago

I'll try to stop by Lambeth some time to re-stock Steve with more perch rigs

Here's the info I posted years ago

I'll try to stop by Lambeth some time to re-stock Steve with more perch rigs
Sounds great @Extra Virgin 👍👍 and will you stop by my place as well,on your way to Lambeth? 🤔 lol 😆 I would love to come along with you to Lambeth,if you like,for I haven’t been to Lambeth for awhile,and I will check out the perch rig’s there. Please let me know,buddy! 👊👊 👍🙂

Attachments

• IMG_3621.jpeg
    IMG_3621.jpeg
    548.7 KB · Views: 18
Last Wednesday I was just going to start a Thread on Jamie Bruce’s from Kenora Youtube Video Link (How To Speed Scan on Garmin, Humminbird, Lowrance AND How to Install Side Imaging Transducer) when I see I had an Alert from Jamie @Extra Virgin

This Thread totally caught me by surprise and I appreciate what has been said about my “Perchin’ Rig”. I am honoured and humbled @Red Hering @Dmanwithnoname @Brokenwing

When I came out with this Rig so many years ago I wanted to put out a Perch Rig that was not only effective but had quality components such as using 20lb Seaguar Red Label Fluorocarbon, quality Snaps and Swivels, Beads for attraction but also a Perch Rig that saved a lot of small Perch from swallowing the bait with less damage.

Why use 20lb test, shouldn’t Perch Rigs be finesse? Perch are sight feeders and have perfect eye vision even in low visibility, so you don't have to worry about fancy presentations or finesse techniques. Perch certainly are not line shy most of the time. Perch will race to your bait because they are so competitive. In sum cases finesse tactics may be required.

Before Fluorocarbon, I belonged to the school that considered a Perch brain about on par with a flatworm and unless they are really not into biting, I just never believed that line size and colour mattered.

Due to the way Fluorocarbon is made being a dual layer, or in the higher quality line a triple layer construction Fluorocarbon line tends to be stiffer than Monofilament and using a heavier pound test line this Rig will be literally Tangle Free.

THE DROPSHOT “PERCHIN RIG”

“The most sensitive and reliable rig”

IF @stomp ACCEPTS MY OFFER, I will make up 36 (MSRP $126) of these Rigs in various Perchin’ Colours but I won’t tell what Jamie’s favourite colour is (Metallic Burple) to maybe give away on special Stomps Fishing Forum Member Draws or to raise a few $ for a favourite cause. Stomp PM me on how I get these Rigs sent to you when I get them made up.

HOOK CHOICES: They are made with both Gold Light Wire Aberdeen and Matzuo Sickle Red Chrome Octopus/Beak Hooks in Size 2 (the most popular requested Size) but also I have Hook Sizes 4's and 6's.

Eagle Claw L2B Red Octopus Hooks in Sizes: 6, 4 & 2 This thin wire, chemically sharpened needle point Octopus bait hook known for its durability and strength. L2B is the long shank version similar to the Gamakatsu Octopus hook. Excellent for drop shotting. Offset!

Several years ago I gave away 3doz Rigs to a certain local Annual Lake Erie Perch Derby but did not receive as much as a Thank You, so I never sponsored another Ontario Perch Derby again.

Sumthing I learned many years ago. On a Winter trip to Icefish for Walleye on the Thames River at Prairie Siding I saw a couple of American’s hocking in Silver Bass one after the other. I can’t recall what Lure or Bait they were were using but I have not forgot the technique/method they used to catch them. As I stood there watching them and looking for tell tale bites on their on their Ice Rod Tips and seeing none, I finally asked how they caught them. They were using the old Fluorescent Stren Yellow/Gold coloured Mono. I was told to watch the slight movement in the line which I barely saw but was effective in catching bite light Silver Bass.

As Perch fishermen know, sumtimes Perch literally will pull a rod out of your hand and at other times they are just sucking at your bait (especially the Jumbos) which in an instant can steal your bait without you knowing it. The well known Bait Bandits!

Besides using a Drop Shot Rig for Perch consider using Hi Viz Mono or Braid but know this. The thicker you use the more visibility you have. I learned that lesson years ago. No need to fill your Reel with all Braid. If all your Perch fishing is say no more than 35ft load up with that and a few extra feet. Braid is not cheap to purchase so you can load up several Perch rods with Mono backing.

Why not take all the advantages you can to detect and catch bite light Perch along with other tricks to catch those Erie Bandits.

Remember: Half Minnies work great, the Perch love the blood and guts.

Attachments

• WHY USE THE DROP SHOT PERCHIN RIG.png
    WHY USE THE DROP SHOT PERCHIN RIG.png
    239 KB · Views: 13
  • THE DROPSHOT PERCHIN RIG.jpg
    THE DROPSHOT PERCHIN RIG.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 11
  • Hi-VIZ BRAID.jpg
    Hi-VIZ BRAID.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 12
  • HI-VIZ MONO.jpg
    HI-VIZ MONO.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Berkley TransOptic and Big Game Solar Collector (Bright Green).jpg
    Berkley TransOptic and Big Game Solar Collector (Bright Green).jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 16
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks