Ever catch a Bass in the winter?

Bassassin

Trky chsr wrote he saw a few Bass under the ice today. I always wondered why I've never had or only heard once about Bass being caught under the ice? I know they go into some type of hibernation and their metabolisms slow of I remember correctly. Anyone catch a bass in the winter? I know they're in there and trky saw a few today.

I catch alot of bass in the winter, both Large and Smallmouth. Not at all uncommon to hit a dozen or more largemouth when chasing panfish. They can be surprisingly aggressive under the ice actually. I usually know when a largie comes in on my vex as they dart around quickly and chase baits more aggressively than a panfish.

Josh

Last edited:
Yes I've caught them through the ice.
In Cassels Lake in late December when still in season and also once at Woodstock in Pittock (not in season).

Josh. What depth are we talking about?

Cheers, Clark

Anywhere from 3'-15' chasing Gills and Crappies up to 25' fishing for perch for Largemouth. Smallies are usually deeper, get them anywhere from maybe 12'-40' usually when fishing for 'Eyes.

Josh

Caught a 5lb bass in Constance lake, near Ottawa. Drill a hole close to shore, dropped my line down. Less than 18 inches of water under the ice, so pulled my line back up and had a 5lb bass on it. Took a quick picture and back down the hole.

Attachments

• 23789_104506936239154_3961757_n[1].jpg
    23789_104506936239154_3961757_n[1].jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 36
I have caught a couple in the bay at St Williams, in close to the shore in the weeds the ones I have caught were really slow moving and would suck the minnow into there mouth and then spit it out just like some big perch do, so I would wait until they did it again and then set the hook, then they would fight pretty good, but I always released them because they are out of season.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks