Enjoying my morning coffee โ˜•๏ธ out at Fanshawe Lake & Dam. March 8,2022. ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Ž

Red Hering

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I went out this morning with my morning coffee โ˜•,DFD2C86C-0150-4F78-BD83-EEB741364680.jpeg to have a look to see the spring runoff happening right now,at Fanshawe Dam & Lake. Hopefully the thames river will be fishable again soon for walleyeโ€™s,once the thames river has become safe to do so. Some photoโ€™s,(the first two),before the flood,and now during the flood happening now below Fanshawe Dam. The last two photoโ€™s are much further downstream,from around the same time. Before the flood & now,during this flood.A couple of videoโ€™s from today as well & Enjoy!! ๐ŸŽฅ popcorn ๐Ÿฟ ๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜‰ Be Safe to All, & hopefully walleyeโ€™s on sometime soon,for any anglerโ€™s that are planning on getting out to fish for walleyeโ€™s on the thames river. ๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

Attachments

• 99C6A9DA-2590-4C3D-B609-0CAB67ECBBC9.jpeg
    99C6A9DA-2590-4C3D-B609-0CAB67ECBBC9.jpeg
    601.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 7B6AC18F-0808-4937-A7C5-1ABCBA0BE7DD.jpeg
    7B6AC18F-0808-4937-A7C5-1ABCBA0BE7DD.jpeg
    583.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 8CA016A6-E36E-4EF2-B851-4D936058A1EC.jpeg
    8CA016A6-E36E-4EF2-B851-4D936058A1EC.jpeg
    490.7 KB · Views: 65
  • DBB2DE98-1DEC-4591-B719-4D72BB9340E6.jpeg
    DBB2DE98-1DEC-4591-B719-4D72BB9340E6.jpeg
    605.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2504.MOV
    46.3 MB
  • IMG_2499.MOV
    61.6 MB
lol ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿคฃ @hvyhaul ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ Go Big or Go Home!! โ˜•๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜‰ I hide behind my truck,when nature calls. lol ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚
Great photos Red! Thanks for posting. The BEST photo by far is the attire your wearing! The way they are playing right now they can beat anybody! P.S. Red- I do the same thing you do when nature calls- only its on the 403-trailering down the highway to either Prt. Burwell or Bruce. in the wee hrs. of the Morn.

Only a week left until the Ban is on the Thames river..Damn !
Damn is right @NIK1 ๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿ‘Ž just about when the walleyeโ€™s are starting to show up in our โ€œneck of the woods,โ€ east of Kiel Bridge in Chatham,all the way up to Fanshawe Dam. ๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿฅบ I thought about starting up a petition to see if the walleye sanctuary could be shut down for only the one month instead of two months on the thames river,east of the Kiel Bridge,starting after March 15/22. There are millions & millions of walleyeโ€™s in Lake Erie,and I think that having just the one month closed instead of two months,wouldnโ€™t really devastate the walleye population in Lake Erie,and who knows,the perch population could even rebound back in Lake Erie,if anglerโ€™s were allowed to fish the extra month on the thames river,and harvest some of the over abundance of walleyeโ€™s. Enjoy the walleye season everyone what is left of it,before it closes after March 15/22. ๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

Damn straight Red..I remember a way back when the Ban was first implemented it used to be only for one month,March 15. to April 15th..Excellent wally fishing then.May15th is just too darn late except for the odd straggler and resident fish.Those were the days...

Damn straight Red..I remember a way back when the Ban was first implemented it used to be only for one month,March 15. to April 15th..Excellent wally fishing then.May15th is just too darn late except for the odd straggler and resident fish.Those were the days...
For sure @NIK1 those were the days!! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ There was a walleye tournament on every year back then,run by the Delaware Lions Club usually on the long Easter weekendโ€™s. Something needs to be done about cutting back a month of this walleye sanctuary!! I am all for sanctuaries,but this one needs to be changed by a month,due to the amount of walleyeโ€™s out in Lake Erie. Now also with the way the gas prices having gone sky high & still climbing each day,there will be no way that a lot of us will drive too far and walleye fish,on the west side of the Kiel bridge and downriver etc.,from there,where of course it is open all year around for walleye fishing.

For sure @NIK1 those were the days!! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ There was a walleye tournament on every year back then,run by the Delaware Lions Club usually on the long Easter weekendโ€™s. Something needs to be done about cutting back a month of this walleye sanctuary!! I am all for sanctuaries,but this one needs to be changed by a month,due to the amount of walleyeโ€™s out in Lake Erie. Now also with the way the gas prices having gone sky high & still climbing each day,there will be no way that a lot of us will drive too far and walleye fish,on the west side of the Kiel bridge and downriver etc.,from there,where of course it is open all year around for walleye fishing.
Red my friend most of the walleye that come up the Thames are from lake st Clair.mind you I got two one year tagged that were from lake huron.

Another FYI post, true story, have witnesses. About 30 years ago, I caught a huge late-summer walleye, guestimate at 10 lbs, near EC10 on Long Point, with a metal "ring" tag in its lower jaw. I removed the tag, released the fish (just fine), and returned the tag as per instructions stamped on it. Months later, I got back a nice letter response that this fish had been tagged at Delaware Ontario the previous spring, made it all the way to Long Point. WOW, quite a trip.

Red my friend most of the walleye that come up the Thames are from lake st Clair.mind you I got two one year tagged that were from lake huron.
Good to know @dave w ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚ about most of the walleyeโ€™s are migrating from Lake St. Clair. I had the Detroit River walleye run in my head,and I just assumed that a high percentage of the walleyeโ€™s migrated from Lake Erie & kept on going through lake st. clair,and right up the thames & other riverโ€™s flowing into Lake St. Clair. Congratulations on catching 2 tagged walleyeโ€™s on Lake Huron. ๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿ‘Š I only caught one walleye,(photo),so far out of Lake Huron a couple of yearโ€™s ago,while I was trolling for coho salmon,but my walleye was not tagged. @dave w did you by chance call in the number on the tag,to see where the walleye originally came from,such as the hatchery,etc.? I am just curious & thanks in advance my friend. Be Safe & tight lines!! ๐Ÿšค๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

Attachments

• 5D4CFD37-C0E5-4E81-B37F-9F3DB88CCAA4.jpeg
    5D4CFD37-C0E5-4E81-B37F-9F3DB88CCAA4.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 6
  • B6B6177C-968C-4FE8-A9D5-FA10DE7CF060.jpeg
    B6B6177C-968C-4FE8-A9D5-FA10DE7CF060.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Wow.....Stackman just brought up a wonderful memory for me. I was part of a 4 man team that put that jaw tagg in his walleye 37 years ago. The Delaware tagging sight was a one year experiment to compliment the lower Thames study at Jeanette creek.
Funding was pulled the next year. We only managed to catch and that about 500 fish in total. That compairs to the 7000 fish per year the lower Thames team could manage.
Just makes that tagg return that much more rare.

I have caught tagged walleyeโ€™s out of Fanshawe Lake Conservation Park back in the late 70thโ€™s into the early 80thโ€™s. These migrating walleyeโ€™s were caught by the MNR in the spring at Jeannettes Creek near Lighthouse Cove,(lake St.Clair),& the walleyeโ€™s were then released upriver from Fanshawe Lake at Plover Mills. During the Delaware Walleye Derbies that we used to have back then as well,the Ministry of Natural Resources would have a oxygenated release tank setup at the Delaware Legion,for anyone who wanted to donate their walleyeโ€™s,after it was weight for the Delaware Walleye Derby,that they had caught,and these walleyeโ€™s were later released as well,at Plover Mills above Fanshawe Lake. Just a little more history & I am hoping that I have this right,and correct me if not. Be Safe & Tight lines & Walleyeโ€™s ON!! to All!! ๐Ÿšค๐Ÿ›ถ๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŽฃ๐Ÿ˜‰

Reactions: Jay
Another FYI post, true story, have witnesses. About 30 years ago, I caught a huge late-summer walleye, guestimate at 10 lbs, near EC10 on Long Point, with a metal "ring" tag in its lower jaw. I removed the tag, released the fish (just fine), and returned the tag as per instructions stamped on it. Months later, I got back a nice letter response that this fish had been tagged at Delaware Ontario the previous spring, made it all the way to Long Point. WOW, quite a trip.
That is amazing @stackman1 & congratulations on such a great walleye catch with a tag & released!! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‰ Even back then 30 yearโ€™s ago the walleyeโ€™s were around in long point bay,(EC 10 buoy marker),and now they are being caught more regularly,but mostly in the outer bay of long point,usually around โ€œthe elbow,โ€ etc. But,@stackman1 I still want to see a photo from 30 yearโ€™s ago of around that 10 pound walleye!! lol ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿคฃ & I am just kidding of course my friend!! ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜š๐Ÿ˜Š See you on the thames river soon for walleyeโ€™s?? ๐Ÿ˜‰๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

Lpgar, thanks lots for your memories, very cool to hear your side after all these years. Yeah, Red, I also participated in those Delaware Derbies to stock Fanshawe. I should be on the river in next few days, maybe a little high and dirty yet, Sydenham here in Strathroy is borderline today.

Lpgar, thanks lots for your memories, very cool to hear your side after all these years. Yeah, Red, I also participated in those Delaware Derbies to stock Fanshawe. I should be on the river in next few days, maybe a little high and dirty yet, Sydenham here in Strathroy is borderline today.
Yes,@stackman1 a little high yet for sure!! We will keep in touch my friend!! ๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚

Red i remember a lot of the taged walleye made it back downsteam over the dam and were being caught for a few years below the dam. Enough of the walleye remaind in the lake to call home and start a fair fishery. I agree with you on the season 1 month is long enough to be closed.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks