Fishing Report Elbow to Shoal, multiple nights early June

Fish Chaser

Been out 3 times over the past week, totals for the trips were 8 Lakers with the biggest being 20.5lbs, 2 bows (biggest 10.5lbs) , one smaller coho and a 5lb walleye
Been trying varying depths with lakers coming right of bottom and the bows and eyes down 30feet
Check out Backlash Angling's latest video for some Laker Action and subscribe for future content!

Nice, Fish Chaser! I guess the LPB stocking program for Lakers outside the Shoal is paying some dividends. That 20 pounder was likely hatched before the program started.

LlThe Laker reintroduction has been ongoing for over 30yrs. Unfortunately in that time they've found no signs of natural reproduction. Erie sure does grow them big tho!

Josh

LlThe Laker reintroduction has been ongoing for over 30yrs. Unfortunately in that time they've found no signs of natural reproduction. Erie sure does grow them big tho!

Josh
If a angler were to catch a lake trout in lake erie what would or could be a telling sign of a natural reproduction fish?

If a angler were to catch a lake trout in lake erie what would or could be a telling sign of a natural reproduction fish?
Look for all funs intact. I believe they clip all the Erie stockers. Notice the missing adipose on the OP's post 😉

Edit: Looks like they clip or implant a CWT (coded wire tag). If neither are present it could be a naturally spawned fish.

Heres some reading on the Erie Lakers

Look for all funs intact. I believe they clip all the Erie stockers. Notice the missing adipose on the OP's post 😉

Edit: Looks like they clip or implant a CWT (coded wire tag). If neither are present it could be a naturally spawned fish.

Heres some reading on the Erie Lakers
Thats what i was always lead to believe,about the fins being clipped.
In july of 2019 I hooked the smallest lake trout I had ever seen Caught or caught my self for that matter. This particular fish caught my attention becouse of the small size and it having all its fins. I had taken only1 picture of it just before buddy cut into it (not the best pic) but showing the usual "missing/clipped fin"20190713_000901.jpg. I thought that maybe 1slipped by the guy at the hatchery with the clipper but then I caught another laker the same size a week later at same location which also had all its fins(no picture, quick release after seeing it had all its fins).
The first small laker was kept do to severe gill damage from the hooks of RRF the second was released unharmed.
Both fish came from the waters off nanticoke.
I'm not saying these are 100% wild reproduced fish becouse I don't know enough about them to make such a call but found too interesting that both these small fish had all there fins intact when all other Lakers I have caught were always lacking a fine between the dorsal and tail.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks