Dunnville Help

I made it down today. The ice in the main part of the river is good anywhere from 5-6 inches and might grow some with the colder temps, closer to shore the ice was not as thich. One spot I checked might have been about 3 inches. Vis wasn't too bad and a bit of current today. I landed one small one about 12 inches, lost 5 and 3 of them felt like they had some good weight to them and missed at least 7 hits. My first time out in this area and so it was a bit of a learning process. I might be heading back down Sunday afternoon to try the for the afternoon and early evening bite. Good luck to anyone who makes it out this weekend. Please post results if you make it out.

I was out there before the thaw at the start of Feb. I fished 25fow by the dam, and i found it was best for like for a hour or so around 8. Landed 3 missed a few all within a hour. They do bite all day but its very very light hits if you can even call it a hit, just felt like a little extra weight on the up jig. I was bouncing a glow jigging rap imitation (got it at bass pro not sure the brand) tipped with a minnow. Biggest caught was a 21.1258912592

I am getting my gear ready now as I will be making my way to Dunnville in the morning.
I wish everybody that makes it out tomorrow the best of luck and please stay safe on the ice!
Tight Lines to all JW?

My Dad and I fished 7am- 1pm today. 17 to 11 fow. Marked a few, no bites. Used everything in the tackle box. Talked to others that caught limits. Was nice getting out today.

We went today with no luck. First time on the river, the pressure cracks were a little concerning on 4” of ice. Lots of people coming off with fish.

No open crack like on the lake but just cracking. Sounded like thunder and you could feel the ice moving. I’m sure it was fine but being new to the river it wasn’t relaxing so we cut it short. I hope it was new ice forming but wasn’t sure if it was the moving water underneath or the wind shifting it. There were a lot of people pulling up lines when it started. I like to have more than 4” under me on a good day so today tried my nerves.

I would love to hear some more experienced anglers opinions on this.

No open crack like on the lake but just cracking. Sounded like thunder and you could feel the ice moving. I’m sure it was fine but being new to the river it wasn’t relaxing so we cut it short. I hope it was new ice forming but wasn’t sure if it was the moving water underneath or the wind shifting it. There were a lot of people pulling up lines when it started. I like to have more than 4” under me on a good day so today tried my nerves.

I would love to hear some more experienced anglers opinions on this.

I've been reassured noisy ice is good ice.... silent ice is bad ice... I just about needed to change my pants the first time the hut we were in on old cut shook with thunder behind it.

Sorry for the late reply @rockin-steelhead I wish I had good news to report but I don't. I never made it out Sunday morning, my wife started coming down with something during the night so I figured I best put my gear in the basement and stay home for the day. Now I'm praying that the ice on the Grand will survive these warm days ahead of us so I can actually get out and try for those elusive Grand river eyes that keep avoiding me.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks