Dum question on salmon trolling reels

The tip is very sensitive. You can see the walleye head shakes even if they don’t release the riggers on Erie. I can keep the drag a little tighter because it’s long and the flexible which absorbs the kings head shake.

Crap… turning 50 in a few days so got myself something sexy…. Got the “Canada fishing reels” mooching reel (2:1 retrieve) thanks to a posters recommendation here, and an “Islander 10’6 premium series” mooching rod.. all should show up 2nd week in April.

If I like em, I will post a review, if not…. The girlfriend will ban my internet privileges…

Damn

I've run mooching reels on the riggers for years and simply do so for the enjoyment of a one-to-one fight. I run the fenwick moochers with my older abu reels and some islander mooching rods with my islander reels. they are all good and fun, the islanders are just nicer to run as everything about them is more precise. I enjoy the level winds on the dipseys and board rods but will never replace the moochers on the riggers.

Rockin, keep your eye out on the Cabela's site as they have had the Fenwick moochers on sale a # of times over the past couple years.

I’ll keep my eyes open for sure.

I have been contemplating one of Wayne’s reels but I have to spend some money on the truck plus I want to upgrade my head unit to the new Simrad NSX that is hopefully in stock shortly plus some new tracks.

Those are mooching reels aka knuckle busters. I have two of them in my boat and are used as my rigger rods. It’s a great way to fight salmon. Lots of different manufacturers out there. Buy a cheaper set up if it’s something you want to try before investing big $$$. Lots of good mooching rods around the $150 mark. Lots of used Shimano mooching reels out they to use as a starter.
If you want a great mooching reel check this one out and it’s made in Ontario
The mailman showed up just in time for the Bronte boat launch to open in a week!

Can’t wait to try this thing out. May even work for walleye!

Attachments

• 2DAF6896-48DB-4A32-A0C7-96988AD7CA5B.jpeg
    2DAF6896-48DB-4A32-A0C7-96988AD7CA5B.jpeg
    249.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 8E0BE264-B02A-40FD-84DA-BE1BA7E8AB37.jpeg
    8E0BE264-B02A-40FD-84DA-BE1BA7E8AB37.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 39
I agree with Porkpie. Silly antiques. Ya you can ride a unicycle and get there but I'll take the 10 speed. Sure you can convince yourself that harder is better but not really. I've used them on the West coast and wished I had my level winds. My BC buddy brags about his Islander reels and I think what a waste. Give me 5:1 when the salmon runs at the boat and a decent drag rather than burns from palming the reel. That said you can get cheap Shimano mooching reel and find out for yourself. Watch you knuckles cause they hurt.

It's just a personal preference. The mooching reels are alot of fun for some and an antiquated PITA for others and I respect that. I personally find the fight to be alot more fun and am not overly concerned about losing the odd fish though can't say that's been any more of an issue than off the level winds.

I would say as many have that you should start with a cheap setup to ensure its right for you.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks