Dum question on salmon trolling reels

FlyingViking

Hey guys,

Seen a bunch of videos from bc where they use the round “fly reel” type of reel. Does or have any of you folks used them or can maybe even suggest a combo if they are worth it?

Just looking to run one on my boat with 3 of the usual line-counter types at the same time..

Wast of money? Do they add to the experience??

Shimano mooching reel is nice even though its plastic body. I use it for salmon, the drag is fantastic. Had it paired with shimano triton rod but last year got a mooching rod , shimano technium very nice, landed a huge lake O stager on it - no problem. I cant justify dropping close to a grand on islander reels though they are fancy looking.

Those are mooching reels aka knuckle busters. I have two of them in my boat and are used as my rigger rods. It’s a great way to fight salmon. Lots of different manufacturers out there. Buy a cheaper set up if it’s something you want to try before investing big $$$. Lots of good mooching rods around the $150 mark. Lots of used Shimano mooching reels out they to use as a starter.
If you want a great mooching reel check this one out and it’s made in Ontario

Hey guys,

Seen a bunch of videos from bc where they use the round “fly reel” type of reel. Does or have any of you folks used them or can maybe even suggest a combo if they are worth it?

Just looking to run one on my boat with 3 of the usual line-counter types at the same time..

Wast of money? Do they add to the experience??
Centre pin reels are fun to use on salmon/rainbows super smooth drag. A few runs and jumps will show you why you spent 500-750 for a good combo. $1,500.00 + if you are fighting bonefish tarpon or barracuda…..
Walleye to me not so much. But 1:1 retrieve gives you good cranking practice.

Centre pin reels are fun to use on salmon/rainbows super smooth drag. A few runs and jumps will show you why you spent 500-750 for a good combo. $1,500.00 + if you are fighting bonefish tarpon or barracuda…..
Walleye to me not so much. But 1:1 retrieve gives you good cranking practice.
Oops I’m getting old. Bought a nice BER put it on a 10’6” st croix mooching rod for $600.00 ish. That was 12 years ago It’s still going strong. But would set me back $1,500.00 now. Glad I bought lots of gear before I retired.

Sold on the idea now. Thanks guys.. gonna post in the classified section for a good used combo. I think it will be fun

Sold on the idea now. Thanks guys.. gonna post in the classified section for a good used combo. I think it will be fun
Did a salmon charter off the west coast of Victoria Island a few years back and the captain said that's what pretty much all the charter boats use out there. Wife and I hooked up on 57 coho on a 6 hour tour. The centre pin reels at 1 to 1 ratio are an awesome and fun reel to fight salmon. If I fished for salmon more often I would definitely consider having a few in the arsenal.

one to one on the retrieval, do your wrist exercises.....
Not sure how big the islander mooching spool is but it looks much smaller compared to shimano or daiwa. Wayne from Mississauga who makes Revolution float reel is now selling a mooching reel with a 2:1 retrieve ratio. But I think the way it is designed you cannot palm the reel like other mooching reels and it is also close to 1K pricewise.

Not sure how big the islander mooching spool is but it looks much smaller compared to shimano or daiwa. Wayne from Mississauga who makes Revolution float reel is now selling a mooching reel with a 2:1 retrieve ratio. But I think the way it is designed you cannot palm the reel like other mooching reels and it is also close to 1K pricewise.
I reached out to Wayne in email… the 2:1 idea got “2 thumbs up” from my wrist after a lengthy discussion with my wrist

Wayne is no longer in Mississauga as he is down in Belle River I believe. The link I posted is of Wayne’s mooching reel. Dan the Fisher on YouTube has one check it out.

Most of the mooching reels like the Rapala Shift have a large spool that you waste lots of line so I started putting a backer on and then the 30lb big game and then leader.

1645625379313.pngI Had a pair of these..Abu Diplomat 420s. Ran them years ago up in Owen Sound for big kings. They were OK..handled a ton of line, decent drags..but the 1:1 ratio was just a PITA . Sold them a couple years ago..maybe shoulda kept them??

View attachment 54836I Had a pair of these..Abu Diplomat 420s. Ran them years ago up in Owen Sound for big kings. They were OK..handled a ton of line, decent drags..but the 1:1 ratio was just a PITA . Sold them a couple years ago..maybe shoulda kept them??
Buy all you can. If you like it keep it. If you don’t like it give it away. This helps me avoid impulse purchases.
We all owe our executor an exciting job selling all the accumulated toys.

I will be the dissenter here. I have twice tried mooching reels. Once years ago, and I decided they are more hassle than they are worth. I then tried an islander about 5 years ago, thinking maybe I just didn’t like the cheap shimano that I’d had previously. There was no real difference to me. I find them tedious and far prefer level winds. Your mileage may vary, but I converted my Loomis mooching rod over to a twist baitcast rig that I use for skein fishing for kings and bottom bouncing the Niagara. I won’t be repeating the mooching reel thing again.

I have had a lot of fun putting a bait caster on a noodle rod, the fight is hilarious, everyone thinks you have a giant on the line.

I don’t have a mooching reel but use the Fenwick 10ft medium mooching rod which is awesome. Light sensitive for walleyes on Erie with backbone for the big kings on Ontario.

Natural sports has them. $125. I love them. Med and med heavy in 10 ft. I think med is perfect. Great fight from a 2 lbs walleye to 25 lbs king. For a very thin blank, it has very stiff backbone. I use the convector with them. I might get the Diawa mooching reel next year.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks