Downrigger opinions

DaveJ

Went to the boat to drop off some equipment and put the downriggers on. Older white Cannon mags. Neither would work..no power. They are direct to batteries which are 100% charged and on floats. Ill test the riggers at home, check wiring etc but I've had some issues in the past so might be time for replacement.

I've always run Cannons and I like them, and I have the swivel mounts already on my Trophy..but am open to change especially considering Canons are next to impossible to get due to supply interruption.

I've heard Scott's are really good, Canadian made, lifetime warranty..opinions? Need to get mine running or replaced fast

I love my scotties. Canadain made and best warranty on the market.
However, I did see this today that might interest you.

I’ve owned cannon, walker, Scotty ( currently have ) and used big johns a bunch. The cannons I had were my favourite. My Scotty’s feel huge compared to the cannons and I’m not a big fan of the unpowered drop. Like you, I was looking for cannon’s but lack of supply pushed me towards the Canadian made Scotty’s. My Scotty’s are good, just preferred the cannons

Have Scottys, have used Cannons.

Personally like the Scotty as I control how hard the descent stops.

Not much I can do on do about the stop and bounce on the way up. The auto-stop bead passes through the sensor and everything comes to a halt. 🌻

I have Cannon Mag 5's on my boat and as much as I think they're great downriggers, my next ones would be Scottys. The problem with the Cannons is with the 250 fpm accent rate, the stop when they reach the surface is quite violent. I use snubbers above the ball which helps some but still.................

The cannons I did have were my very first electric riggers. I bought them used probably 20 years ago now. Mag 5’s. They didn’t have auto stops and weren’t super quick or jerky coming up like I guess the newer ones are. I liked my walkers too. They were tournaments with the awr. I would have kept them except I sold them with the boat.

I run the Cannon Mag 10’s and yes they do have a violent stop for which I didn’t like in the retrieval mode. I made up a heavy nylon cord approx 18-20” long and it attaches to the rigger cable and the cannon ball on the other end. Now when it comes to surface and stops the cannon ball is still below water surface and the shock load is dramatically less.

Cannons are nice, I’ve used them on a few boats. I do like Scottie’s, but they are unnecessarily huge in my opinion. I have used them on several boats and they certainly work well. I have walkers, and have had for many years without issue. If I had to spend money again, I’d go cannon or walker as they work and they’re smaller in profile!

Have Scottys, have used Cannons.

Personally like the Scotty as I control how hard the descent stops.

Not much I can do on do about the stop and bounce on the way up. The auto-stop bead passes through the sensor and everything comes to a halt. 🌻
Hwyhaul, I use blue snubbers with 12 or 10 lb balls on high speed Scottys and the bounce is minimal. I set the autostop beads so the weights are still in the water after the cable is brought by a retrieve line and the release is clipped to a swivel just above the snubber. Seems to work ok. 2106 is heaver then 1106 but some features are nice. Thats the other option DaveJ may consider. I got mine from Poco Marine in BC last year, they were on sale and the shipping of a pair was about $55. Had to wait a few weeks b/ c of that flood they had.

I have Scotties and love them. I put a 6 foot track on both sides this year and added 3 dual axis rod holders on each side and got rid of the Scotty rod holder bases.
If I am to ever replace the Scottie’s it will be riggers made by Magnum Metalz see link
A buddy of mine has these riggers and they are great and have a small foot print compared to a lot of other riggers.

Thanks for all the replies and pms. I just tested the riggers in the shop and both are 100%. I think I got the battery plug connections reversed...I didnt think it made a difference other that running the motor retrieval switch backwards but wrong...so an easy cheap fix. Think Ill run these for this year but look around for season end sales for next year!

After running a Charter Business for many years I have had most riggers. I started with Big John. then went to Walker then to Cannon on my next 3 boats and then to Scotty. I have since retired from the chart business and have down sixed my ride to an 18' Legend. I have Walkers on this boat. In my opinion all riggers have their ups and downs (pun intended) but I find not one is better or worse than another as it is what you get used to.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks