Donation Dollars 💰Put to Work

If I ever get/got a freeze I just do/did a reload/refresh unless it says that "longpoint.on.ca" is not responding, then I just wait.

Not happening now, but I have to admit, it did get a little frustrating at times in the past., especially when authoring a post. :eek::banghead:😠😤

Same here, when opening other post’s pictures. But, of course, now that the doctor is watching it, it does not want to do it :).

OK, @Bentrod ,@Richardscott999 and @Tyler0420 , I think I'm going to have to go back to the Donations well and buy a solution to this problem.

Problem Statement
Some images randomly download incompletely leaving an incomplete image.

Hypothesis
What do anglers like to do (amongst other things)? They like to:
  • fish!
  • take pictures of their fish
  • clean their fish (well, maybe not so much)
  • eat their fish
  • drink beer
  • share their fish pictures and stories on the Interweb
What doesn't an angler like to do?
  • resize their fishing pictures snapped from their modern phones to a proper size for sharing on the Interweb.
Experiment
The screen shot of the fish finder screen in the Fishing Report above was a whopping 7.2 megabytes (MB) in size (for the older crowd, that is a little over 7 3.5 inch floppy disks). For demo purposes, I resized it, to a new size 25.9 kilobytes (KB), making it 99.7% smaller!! Also included was a "medium" resize that is 98.8% smaller. Looks pretty good to me.

20200709_163613_huge.jpg
Original Width:5312 pixelsNew Width:400 pixels
Original Height:2988 pixelsNew Height:225 pixels
Original Filesize:7,515.6 kbNew Filesize:25.9 kb
99.7% Savings in Filesize

So, back to incomplete downloads, I'm guessing your iPhone and iPad are smart enough to say that no one in their right mind would download a photo that large and are bailing, or losing interest in waiting, or you're running out of bandwidth when pulling these huge image files.

Proposed Solution
Buy an add-on to the forum software that automatically compresses photos to a reasonable size as they are uploaded to Channel 6-8. There may be apps/approaches you could use on your phones to do this at source to save you bandwidth when uploading pictures as part of the beloved "live" reports..
Use the forum software settings to control the maximum image dimensions to keep uploaded image sizes and dimensions reasonable.

Attachments

• 20200709_163613_medium.jpg
    20200709_163613_medium.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200709_163613_small.jpg
    20200709_163613_small.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
For my phone I use this.

PHOTO Editor

Downloaded from play store for zero $$.

Does everything I need simply and quickly.

My LG ThinQ takes huge pictures, mid teens, so no way can they be uploaded properly.

My opinion, user obligation, not the forum's.

Appreciate the sentiment @hvyhaul , but the old Webmaster was (again?) asleep at the switch on this one. A while back, as smartphone usage was exploding, I pretty much removed all restrictions on file upload size. People were *disappointed* that the couldn't simply upload their pix from their phones. What I also removed, for some God-only-knows-why reason, was a setting for the maximum photo dimensions allowed by the site, so 6-8 was storing some whoppers. I've now re-set those max photo dimensions which trigger the current forum software to resize the photos to something more reasonable for Interweb viewing.

For my phone I use this.

PHOTO Editor

Downloaded from play store for zero $$.

Does everything I need simply and quickly.

My LG ThinQ takes huge pictures, mid teens, so no way can they be uploaded properly.

My opinion, user obligation, not the forum's.
@hvyhaul, when you're on Wifi, please try blasting up one of those huge LG photos as a test. Now, if you're using cellular , all that data has to go over the air to the 6-8 server, but the image will be smaller subsequently.

@stomp, by your description the iPhone / iPad do not have any fisherman genes... bail out? In their right mind? give up? Never!!!!

Some restrictions might not be working yet.

Attachments

• B6C013FC-1227-429C-B79D-A6A70E485FA4.png
    B6C013FC-1227-429C-B79D-A6A70E485FA4.png
    819.3 KB · Views: 11
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks