Dipsey question

ya gilfisher there are alot of 14 inch spikes where we had to sort for on friday and were released unharmed..the riggers were quick and effective to do that...our largest was 6 lbs while boxing the 2 to 3ish lb range...it sounds like you got the doghouse to contend with to mount and operate downriggers..

next season...those spikes will be a target size...
Yes mick i have a lund rebel 1800 xl and to mount the riggers i would have to mount on a support frame of some sort which would take up to much room by ladder area and where kicker motor is..i assume thats what you mean by doghouse area...i guess i should have bought the tee hee model lol...and yes those spikes will grow up cant wait!!

just to clarify gilfisher, the old doghouse quote is referring to the inboard motor with cover that takes up all the room in the back of the boat...now that you detailed a ladder on one side and kicker on the other leaves you no room off the back to mount riggers..

back in the day mid 80s for me we never used leadcore..the majority used downriggers..and the guys that didn`t have riggers used the pink ladies trolling plates..and just as popular we made and used double planer boards running crank baits like hotlips for targeting walleye...Ya I made 2 sets but don`t use them today ..I use the inline boards...
I do run leadcore, and longlining with it for walleye is very effective, but it also is alot of work running the full ten colours, there is a little fun flatlining horizontally just above surface water with larger fish...but with all these small pickeral this season and now there deep they are no sport at all. Thankfully my newer fishing buddy is burning the leadcore in with the spikes fairly quickly...and we can tell right away when the leadcore loads up with a spike so there is no dragging and or drowning...sure glad to have the riggers firing this week...

Thanks for all the replies. Lots of information. Typical replies from the "68ers". I will, weather permitting, give them a wash this week

How much o
I have the 1650 rebel xs new this year and went with the Lund down rigger brackets ant the 4 in cannon swivel bases. Takes no room in the boat but was a not cheap investment.
How much of an investment if you dont mind me asking...and any pics of setup..thx gil

I'll post a picture Gil, Thats what I have on my Lund Sport Track.
They advise no longer than 2' arms and I use mine on a 45 degree.
I'll go out now and take picture. post soon.

d6oVaNW.jpg

iH7Y0eX.jpg

Me6UCsa.jpg

DfiIvFI.jpg

This is the angle how I run them.
L0UGEC4.jpg

Last edited:
I also only run 8 LB cannon balls. The Big Jons are the older Elec so I don't want to push them, like myself can't do what I use to:eek::LOL::LOL:
I bought them at Bay City Marine, if I remember I paid $85.00 each but don't quote me.:), the brackets that is, riggers and swivels are another cost. Don't want to tell the wife:blackeye::blackeye::LOL:
If you go there I'd call first Gil to see if they are in stock.

Last edited:
My Lund is the older model the gunnel is a little wider, my buddy has a newer rebel and his gunnel is a little narrower.
So I don't know if that has any baring on it.
He wants to get riggers on his Rebel. If you're out Wednesday you'll see him following me around and maybe wearing one of those Tshirts.:LOL: he has the winning Perch Festival boat Lund

My Lund is the older model the gunnel is a little wider, my buddy has a newer rebel and his gunnel is a little narrower.
So I don't know if that has any baring on it.
He wants to get riggers on his Rebel. If you're out Wednesday you'll see him following me around and maybe wearing one of those Tshirts.:LOL: he has the winning Perch Festival boat Lund
Thx dave im going to look into it a bit more...last time i was in baycity i dropped 30G..lol...i told my wife i was going to shoppers to get lotion for poison ivy..i came home 3 hrs later with new boat lol..I dont think i will be out wed..im back to work grr...Oh just remembered i had my kicker installed bells and whistles etc ..for at least 2 months before my wife noticed it..lmao...Well if i do decide to install riggers i wonder how long it would be until she notices lol...Im getting quite use to sleeping in the doghouse its not that bad really lol

Thx dave im going to look into it a bit more...last time i was in baycity i dropped 30G..lol...i told my wife i was going to shoppers to get lotion for poison ivy..i came home 3 hrs later with new boat lol..I dont think i will be out wed..im back to work grr...Oh just remembered i had my kicker installed bells and whistles etc ..for at least 2 months before my wife noticed it..lmao...Well if i do decide to install riggers i wonder how long it would be until she notices lol...Im getting quite use to sleeping in the doghouse its not that bad really lol
That Bay City is noted for putting customers into the doghouse, I have a big screen in mine now.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I had the same issue with my Lund Alaskan...but didnt like the sport trak bases..so I welded up my own. They bolt onto a threaded plate under the top of the side storage compartment so are easily removable. There is no weight on the gunnel itself...super stable.

If you'd like something similar let me know--we could easily make up a set for you.

a4cc093a77a66bf0f8775c145b7d3d16.jpg

I had the same issue with my Lund Alaskan...but didnt like the sport trak bases..so I welded up my own. They bolt onto a threaded plate under the top of the side storage compartment so are easily removable. There is no weight on the gunnel itself...super stable.

If you'd like something similar let me know--we could easily make up a set for you.

a4cc093a77a66bf0f8775c145b7d3d16.jpg
Thx for your in put dave j...im going to look at all options...

I put hydro and water in my doghouse
Incase its for the longer duration and cold weather
Lol
Luckily my wife loves to fish

IMG_0120.PNG IMG_0118.PNG Hard to see but you can get plates that go in the track system of the Lund that you can mount your down rigger to
I have this on my lundpro v
As you can see by the holes in front of the plate , my boats previous owner Bob Izumi mounted a piece of berts track system so he could use the boat in a walleye episode at the bay of Quinie but it got in the way of the sliders opening up so I removed them and went with this set up

IMG_0118.PNG

Last edited:
Those lund mounts are around 40 at marina shores. I cut the inside 1/2 off and mount my rod holders on them. Works great. The plastic ones break almost lost the rod last time I used the plastic ones.

Like so price was 63 per

Attachments

• IMG_20170830_160950.jpg
    IMG_20170830_160950.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20170830_161034.jpg
    IMG_20170830_161034.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 25
View attachment 6192 View attachment 6190 Hard to see but you can get plates that go in the track system of the Lund that you can mount your down rigger to
I have this on my lundpro v
As you can see by the holes in front of the plate , my boats previous owner Bob Izumi mounted a piece of berts track system so he could use the boat in a walleye episode at the bay of Quinie but it got in the way of the sliders opening up so I removed them and went with this set up

View attachment 6190
Thats a slick setup!!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks