Dipsey question

Red Gator

I have used dipseys a few times and have yet to catch anything on them. Dragged the same baits on riggers and dipseys at what I think was the same depth and only riggers caught fish.
Does the colour of the dipseys matter? Any suggestions are appreciated

Hi Red most guys use #1 dipsys in clear,black,or copper finishes.I laminate the chart and it is very important to know where your dipsy is on the divecharts.There is two sections to the chart one for the ring and one without.Also pay close attention to what guys on here report.If they say #1dipsy on 3 that is the setting,back 150 to 160ft that will be your depth.Check your reel tension ,not to tight.Try your lure for say 20 minutes change it or let out 10 more feet your choice.Hope this helps.

Red Gator.....I had much the same experience as you describe when I first used a Dipsy. When using them for walleye I found that they are only advantageous using the #3 setting and at least 90 feet back. Colour can be advantageous with salmon but with walleye I prefer to use black. Typically on #3 setting I expect more walleye action with the dispy if fishing the same depth and using the same bait as I would with a downrigger. Today for example we caught 4 on the riggers, 4 on the dipsy's and 10 off the lead core. Not a scientific result because we ran spoons on the dipsy's and Ripplin Redfins on everything else.

Red Gator.... I have 6 dipsys, 4 different colours. A friend and I ran 3 different colours today and one downrigger, all of them caught fish. If I remember correctly, the hottest dipsy today was a #1 UV green on 0, I think back 60 to 80 ft, I wasn't setting that one.

The hottest location was the downrigger, 47 down 30 to 35 ft back. Almost got tiring the number of times dropping it down and having it fire immediately, but in a good way.

I don't think the dipsy colour matters as much as having the right lures running at the correct depth. The chart helps, but to help, I tested all my counters against a 100 ft tape measure, marked each reel with a number and now have a 100 ft =??? ratio to work from. None were accurate.

42 caught, 12 kept, 2 for 3 rainbow, and I think 5 sheephead which were a total surprise as I thought 2.9 was too fast for them.

I can't keep fish off mine.
On my outtings I haven't bothered with leadcore as I'm too busy with just 2 lines.
I've been slamming fish before I can even get the rod back in the holder
One dipsy is gold and other is white with blue pokadots I think with a snubber and around 8 foot leader. #3 setting with 155 and 160 out pulling rippling red fins in 54 to 60 for
Try just getting your line out deeper. You should have atleast 140 + out
Friday I landed 30+ fish in less than 2 hours on this set up

#3 setting
Purple or dark in colour dipsy
And 180 ft back
Mixed veggie colour spoon
Couldn't keep the fish off the line

I can't keep fish off mine.
On my outtings I haven't bothered with leadcore as I'm too busy with just 2 lines.
I've been slamming fish before I can even get the rod back in the holder
One dipsy is gold and other is white with blue pokadots I think with a snubber and around 8 foot leader. #3 setting with 155 and 160 out pulling rippling red fins in 54 to 60 for
Try just getting your line out deeper. You should have atleast 140 + out
Friday I landed 30+ fish in less than 2 hours on this set up
Maybe you should take Dan and me out for some lessons. LOL

UV Green on 0, 60 to 80 back
Copper on 3, 140 to 155 back
Yellow with some orange stuff on 3, 160 back
Clear and green snubbers, 6 ft floro leaders

Lure of the day by far

Michigan Stinger Red Chicken Puke

Have faith, it will come together for you. I consider myself very fortunate, I had a few mentors give me hands on insight right from the get go.

Doesn't matter the color. Bait is way back from the driver or Dipsy anyway, you can't go by the chart because of speed and turns are a factor.
Make any sort of a turn and the driver crashes deeper or bottom. Speed 1.2 to 3.5 big difference in depth. Thats why you get a hit on a turn, she crashed(y);):)

Last edited:
Also.... what length is your leader.... I generally use 7-8'

I use about the same. I will measure out and see. I maybe even close to the 5 or 6 foot length
Maybe you should take Dan and me out for some lessons. LOL

Honestly i wouldnt mind. I'm always looking to get atleast 3 people on the boat including myself with a sport licence. Just makes it more worth my wild to make the drive and so on. Kinda alot of work to go out and get a 2 man limit in 30 min of fishing

I just use chart as a guide
Last couple times didn't even make a turn
Started at 58 fow set auto pilot to south
Stopped fishing at 61 fow
Pulled rods and went in

Just measured and only running 4 foot leader + the 12" snubber. I guess less than most but not going to change it as it's doing me very well

Attachments

• 20170827_122330.jpg
    20170827_122330.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 33
I use dipsys all the time...not a fan of deadcore just had to add that in there lol...anyway the chart i find gives you a starting point but its not accurate like FF said speed and turns will raise and lower your baits quite a bit...I run 2 off port side #3 setting 164ft line #0 setting 142ft line...starboard #3 setting 158 ft line..And a #1dipsy (smaller one)..#0 setting 300ft line on the starboard shoot...very important to keep at least 20ft of line difference between the two dipsys on port side always have more line out on the #3 dipsy....now at 1.5 to 1.75 mph on sonar..they will run down at 65 to 75 fow ..the one off the shoot will be at 55 to 60 fow......with this spread i troll in a slow zig zag pattern to fluctuate the depths of baits ..when i turn i always turn into starboard side putting pressure on the port side dipsys which run closer together....this to avoid any tangles...learned the hard way lol....As far as colours go I use flat black and and dark purple...to much flash colours will spook the not so aggressive walleye..but when they hungry it dont matter....earlier in the season when the walleye are suspending higher in water column i adjust accordingly to amount of line out to raise the baits etc......hope this gives you a starting point lol...oh one more thing when the eys are suspending higher in water column i run a 30 or 40 jet on the starboard side shoot..because i want that 300 ft of line out far beyond the dipsy spread to avoid tangles...hope this helps cheers gil

skipping the dipsey ontop of the water with your little pickeral behind is not my idea of fun...

riggers have been not stop this week...running short leads down 47 and 53 and 57 for bigger fish where they stay deep right to the boat

at least you get thumping head shakes running straight mono off riggers...but i guess not all of us can afford downriggers

i do have one wire dipsy rod, that i use occasionally for rainbows...black divers & copper spoons work glasgow to wheatly

riggers are my goto for bows too..if the majority are up high..3 colour off inline boards is my best method

take a black magic marker to your bright colour divers...and now there black...

Last edited:
skipping the dipsey ontop of the water with your little pickeral behind is not my idea of fun...

riggers have been not stop this week...running short leads down 47 and 53 and 57 for bigger fish where they stay deep right to the boat

at least you get thumping head shakes running straight mono and riggers...but i guess not all of us can afford downriggers

i do have one wire dipsy rod, that i use occasionally for rainbows...black divers & copper spoons work glasgow to wheatly
i slowly real in my fish to avoid harming fish blow bag etc...i never have a problem with skipping dipsy atop of water dragging little ones...now i troll alot slower than you guys in the west which plays a part in the skipping issue..I release all eyes under 2lbs almost all are healthy when released any that are not i keep...Id like to have riggers on my boat but i find it takes up to much space...I like to feel the fish fight which is why i like to fish...and for that reason i avoid deadcore at all costs ..id have just as much fun reeling in a 10 lb anchor lol...the fish down in the east ive been getting lately are averaging 4 to 8 lbs ..with the odd hog and a few dinks

ya gilfisher there are alot of 14 inch spikes where we had to sort for on friday and were released unharmed..the riggers were quick and effective to do that...our largest was 6 lbs while boxing the 2 to 3ish lb range...it sounds like you got the doghouse to contend with to mount and operate downriggers..

next season...those spikes will be a target size...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks