Off Topic Dinghy and lakes advice

m1dn

Hey everyone,

Newbie here.
Started fishing 2 months ago.

Got a 11ft dinghy and a 1982 johnson 9.9 ( all tuned and cleaned up, oh my god this is so much fun ) recently and started going around local smaller lakes ( Belwood, Conestogo, etc ).
Was hoping to try Erie or Huron few times this year.

I inflate/deflate dinghy every time, so looking for recommendations on decent or even free spots to possibly inflate, launch the boat and up to what wind would you recommend to go out on this setup?
Also, could anyone recommend good spots to try out on both lakes? ( Driving from Waterloo, don't mind 2h drives )

P.S Until when it would be reasonable to fish on boat and then give it a pause until ice comes out, November-December? Or would you rather be done with a boat around October and switch to waders/shore-fishing until ice? Don't mind the cold, need to get out sometimes!

sounds sketchy to be honest.
and I wouldon’t be on the lake in soemthing like that much pass September when the nights start getting cool.
Really have to pick your days when the lake is going to be really calm.
im not sure where to get compressed air to inflate it near the lake sorry.

Go to Port Maitland there is a free launch there you can work the river and mouth and if it looks safe go out to the lake. If you go there I would stay in the bay close to the mouth of the river for safety sake Olso look at Crystal beach just off launch stay closer to shore and drift east good bass fishing there and sheephead you might get a few walleye there I would not venture to far out on the lake erie can go crazy stupid at the drop of a hat good luck

I used to run a 12.6ft inflatable for 5 years with a 20hp motor with a hard floor. I would only go out to turkey point inner bay and Port Maitland when the winds were less that 8 kts. Any stronger winds made things sketchy! I stayed close to shore unless the water was calm. I kept the boat on a trailer to save time with all the setup and tear downs. Like the other guys said....winds pickup fast without notice so I wouldn't venture too far from shore.

Light and/or offshore winds and you'll be fine on, the bigger lakes.....I don't see any reason to not fish right until freeze up. I've fished out of a pontoon, rafts, canoes, kayaks and tinners every month of the year. Be smart and prepared and theres nothing to really fear imo. A dingy is a more stable craft than a most. Having a backup source of power like a minn kota is a good idea. 2 strokes can be extra finicky in cold weather. And wearing a floater suit is a very good idea! Just be cautious, know the limits of your craft and always have a plan incase of breakdown...

Josh

I used to live by the ocean. Even you have a big boat or a dingy, watch out the weather that 's the most important part. Dingy is more stable. Now I have a 14 foot dingy on a trailer, I could go any where if the weather is calm.
You can launch at Turkey point beach, Port Ryerse, Port Dover to fish along north shore

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm not planning to get too far from shore, bays and close to rivers is what i was thinking

Ahhhhhh...with all due respect I don't think an 11ft dinghy with a 9.9 has any business out on the great lakes open water. Maybe buzz around just outside the harbor but not out in bluewater

I've owned a few small inflatables in the past and they should be used as tenders as designed and not to be used in open water, one thing to bear in mind when using it alone sitting at the stern inflatables can be flipped end over end coming off a wave heading into a strong wind and I always put the gas tank up in the bow aside from that I kept my 12' achillies in my fiver for years for fishing in inland lakes or bays and it was great for getting into those shallow hidey-holes,,, use it as intended and be safe!

Red Green: And now the Man's prayer, I'm a man,
but I can change, if I have to, I guess. GOPR0002-1.jpg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks