did someone plug all the holes in lake erie

highhopes

I know we had some rain this year but I never seen the lake this hi in a long time there is no beach today in burwell just crashing waves not good for the small stores no beach no people

Muricans must have stopped stealing all of our water out of the Mississippi and the oil companies must have stopped fracking... so many people that I have had discussions with that have those opinions, just want to laugh in their face now...

Precipitation is definitely a big factor, as well as prolonged and more widespread ice cover the past 2 winters, greatly reducing evaporation. And the St Mary's river has been more or less flowing at full tilt the past couple summers. They're not holding back Superior much at all.

Josh

Muricans must have stopped stealing all of our water out of the Mississippi and the oil companies must have stopped fracking... so many people that I have had discussions with that have those opinions, just want to laugh in their face now...

I was once told by a very educated as well as intelligent Murican relative once that they only draw American water from the Great Lakes.

As far as high water levels, we have had this place for 20 years and the water is up to the break wall and a foot deep. No way I can wade out and fish like I usually will do this time of year. We always have had a fire pit on the beach and some years, especially in the fall when levels are lowest have had 40 feet of beach. The only plus is we don't have stinky Green Algae this year.

There are rocks that are about 2"s under water that are usually 3 feet above normal lake levels. High water around here makes boating for those not native to the area very iffy. Actually I personally have never brought my own boat closer than 100 yards from our property. Too many rocks and reefs. There aren't enough Javex bottles to mark them all. Just last week someone Bass fishing out back took out a bottom end on a new 200HP 4 stroke. I was waving them off and they politely waved back. They powered up and hit the throttle, smashed into what is usually a small island before they got on plane. Too late, man that has to hurt. I'm glad they weren't doing 50 when it happened.

Last edited:
Someone on here mentioned how its about time for another storm to make a 'new cut' in Long Point. The water level seems to be cooperating with that plan!

Ooooops my bad ! I have spouted off about the "old cut" late 1830's and the "new cut" early 1860's and was eye witness to the big storm of 1985 that wiped out part of Hastings Ave. Friggin scarey day that was ! Josh is right about water level conditions but we should be peaking now and then it's all down hill. Should make things easier for the duckhunters in the Fall.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks