Detroit river walleye run

fish4fun

I will start with I am a complete newbie to the Detroit river......never been before. So I have a few questions and I was hoping to get some pointers.

1.) what month does it typically start? March or April ? I know it's temperature dependant, not calendar dependant.... Just looking ball park guess.
2.) best launch to use? ( coming from london area) also don't mind paying for a good ramp and parking.
3.) the border issue..... Should you buy both Ontario and Michigan fishing licence ? Or is it easy enough to stay on the Ontario side and catch fish.

Thanks in advance ...... Can't wait to get the boat back out...... Should not have put it away this year.

1) April would be better but yep temp dependent. Generally right after ice out in the spring.

2) marina on riverside drive, can't remember the name, good access, Good ramp, close to downtown and good fishing, City Marina maybe?

3) if you have a good gps it's easy to watch the line, without it there are so many bends in the river you wouldn't be able to use landmarks, the border isn't just in the middle it's all over the place.

Thanks, for the suggestions , i do have good GPS, I was just wondering if for some reason or the other it made sense to have both licences as you might have to fish the U.S. Side to get action some days..... Like I said I have never been, and it would be my luck that that I would go down with just an ont license, and on the U.S. Side, non stop action..... I was stuck on ontario and could not chase the eyes...... I could be completely wrong and worrying over nothing. Thanks again

If the river gets muddy due to heavy rains and wind, the US side clears up sooner than the Canadian side due the bend and slightly stronger currents on the US side. We used to buy our MI licenses all the time but since they are so easy to buy online, we just wait until we're ready to go and only buy them if needed. The last couple of years, there has been plenty of good fishing on our side so it wasn't necessary. You are usually fishing fairly close to shore so the border doesn't come into play but you do get close when you're fishing at the North tip of Fighting Island & it's easy to cross by accident. No biggy if you drive across but you don't want to be caught fishing on the wrong side.... Here is the link to Michigan DNR for licenses: http://www.mdnr-elicense.com/Welcome/Default.aspx

Guys usually start fishing in March but it's more difficult to catch fish so you may be best to wait in mid-April when the water gets over about 45F.

There are three launches that I use:

1) Upper River - City Marina at the top end of the river-nice facility if you want to fish up there
2) Mid River- McKee Park ramp on Chewitt St (right under the Ambassador Bridge on the downstream side)-free ramp & okay for boats under 18' or so
3) Lower Mid River - Lasalle Boat Launch (right behind TD Bank) - good ramp & parking but gets pretty busy

Do a search on here and you should find some more info from the last few years....I will post some links if I have time later.

Never been but reading here boat control is key to keep the presentation as vertical as possible. Also it's important to stay in the boat when on the river, according to @stomp . I have been wanting to go for a few years, good luck.

So many fish in there for a month anyone can catch them, just keep your line vertical by back trolling. I'm no expert like big rod but most if the time we are close to the Canadian side I don't fish the American side. I'm talking within 50 feet of shore 75tops

Never been but reading here boat control is key to keep the presentation as vertical as possible. Also it's important to stay in the boat when on the river, according to @stomp . I have been wanting to go for a few years, good luck.
Yes, line perpendicular to the water and staying in the boat were a couple of the many things @big rod taught me on the "D" and I miss his charters. If I'm lucky enough to fish down there again, I hope some of the lessons stuck. I imagine controlling the boat might be the hardest thing to do.

Watch your insurance some policies don't cover your boat before April 1
Saying that only one year so far that I fished in March
I launch in lasalle fishing starts close to ramp
Either back toll or use electric motor to keep your line vertical the key word is VERTICAL
Lasalle ramp is closed to the public may 7 unless in the walleye derby
See you out there I can't wait to get jigging

Yes read fine print on policy I sank my boat during duck hunting season not covered I then got coverage for twelve months on the water for 50 dollars less per year

I thought the river had a very strong current, that actually looks rough at times. How do you manage to fish it?

It not as bad as the St Clair River but it's fairly strong, you just kind of go with the flow and it's not too hard.

It's fairly quick you don't really notice unless you go by a buoy or are fishing close to shore
Everyone is going the same speed in the drift

Ok guys, the time is here. I am picking the boat up Tuesday, and heading to the D on Wednesday to give it shot.( as long as the forcast holds that is). The only question I have now is, what launch sells minnows? I think I'm going to try to go to either lasalle or amherstburg. Taking #3 Hwy from st thomas. I think a minnow on the jig head is the way to go. We do have some frozen salties we are planning to take as well, but I think live bait would be better. Thanks, and I'll post my results .

The only Launch that has minnows (or had the last time I was there) is Cooper's Marina in A'Berg but you better call first to make sure. The other places I know of are Wally's Bait and Strictly Fishing on Sandwich Street in Windsor just South of the bridge. Most guys are using Fin-S rubber minnow with a stinger hook and tipped with a real minnow. It sounds like things are just getting rolling down there.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks