deer creek?

Rankulizer82

Hi everyone my buddy asked if I wanted to join him for a day of fishing since he is camping @ deer creek. I have heard of crappie and gill fishing there in the winter but was wondering if there are any bigger fish out there like bass or pike to fish for now? I have a lil jon boat is it a no gas engine lake or am I allowed to bring the 15 horse ? Thanks for any info

I don't believe you allowed a gas motor but you never know. A fellow kayaker on another forum was just there last Saturday and caught some largemouth bass and rock bass so there are larger critters in there. I understand there are some trout to be caught if you know how also. TC

No gas. No pike but lots of species to choose from.

no gas motors, there some nice trout in the deep areas if you have a fish finder you can find the deep drop off areas ,I slow jig right on the bottom with a worm tipped jig will get you some brown trout and perch ,,,Dutch

There are some nice bass in there . Stacked up in weeds. Try by the dam area for trout. Rainbows and browns. Spawn sack or salmon eggs work well. As for the no gas motor rule...it's completely ridiculous. You can't even run your electric motor in there if you have a gas motor attached . After being told it was fine if you just run your electric I purchased a season pass as a alternative for when it's too windy on the lake. On the second visit they informed us that you can't even have a gas motor attached to your boat in case you are feeling frisky and decide to waterski in there . Offering the keys and fuel tank to the outboard was good enough on one outing but they changed their mind again . You can remove the motor and leave in it truck on shore if really want . That was the third visit. Upon reviewing the website it states only boats equipped with electric motors are allowed. Guess the minn Kota is a gas engine now. Long story short after 2 months I finally got my money back for the season pass. There is a alternate access if you have permission as its on private property. As for deer creek , iam done with it as long as Helga the super intelligent arm wrestling champ is stationed there. Try waterford lakes,Little lake or mill pond for better results and less hassle

Reactions: Rex
Well, them's the rules and have been for a long time. They used to allow you in with a gas motor attached, but after multiple incidents of people firing it up in the back they decided not to continue that practice. The place is jam packed and over crowded on weekends during the summer as it is, and being the small, pristine, clear water reservoir that it is (and pretty unique for the area) I have no problem with them limiting access and doing their part to try and preserve the beauty of the place. I have seen pictures of monstrous browns in my grandfathers photo album from there from a long time ago...nothing like today.
I have been fishing that place since I can remember as a child. I lamented when they changed the open and close dates to a tighter window, limiting boat access even further before May 24 and after Labour Day. Now, as a kayak angler, I have come to love it. The crowds disappear, along with them the citiots who have no consideration or understanding of rules of the water, written and unwritten. They treat it like an amusement park, and then leave their garbage for the rest of us to clean up on Monday. That place is near and dear to my heart, and fishing it in solitude when the fall colours are in full bloom, the bass are fat and active, the crappie are on the move and the trout are firing on all cylinders is one of life's little pleasures. Getting out in a bass boat once a year during Fish a Thon is cool treat, but I am glad that it doesn't get pounded by 20 big boats every weekend that the wind blows too much down at the point.

I love deer Creek. I have had a pass there for years. My son swims, while I fish it's great. I don't know why anyone would need a gas motor there. You can swim across it. Why ruin a great quiet spot.

Well, them's the rules and have been for a long time. They used to allow you in with a gas motor attached, but after multiple incidents of people firing it up in the back they decided not to continue that practice. The place is jam packed and over crowded on weekends during the summer as it is, and being the small, pristine, clear water reservoir that it is (and pretty unique for the area) I have no problem with them limiting access and doing their part to try and preserve the beauty of the place. I have seen pictures of monstrous browns in my grandfathers photo album from there from a long time ago...nothing like today.
I have been fishing that place since I can remember as a child. I lamented when they changed the open and close dates to a tighter window, limiting boat access even further before May 24 and after Labour Day. Now, as a kayak angler, I have come to love it. The crowds disappear, along with them the citiots who have no consideration or understanding of rules of the water, written and unwritten. They treat it like an amusement park, and then leave their garbage for the rest of us to clean up on Monday. That place is near and dear to my heart, and fishing it in solitude when the fall colours are in full bloom, the bass are fat and active, the crappie are on the move and the trout are firing on all cylinders is one of life's little pleasures. Getting out in a bass boat once a year during Fish a Thon is cool treat, but I am glad that it doesn't get pounded by 20 big boats every weekend that the wind blows too much down at the point.

Couldn't agree more with this entire post. :eek:)

I to grew up there swimming every day in the summer holidays ,we lived in Langton and my folks owned the restaurant ba ck then ,dad drove the ambulance in town ,the good old days ,,,,,every day after the lunch time rush mom would tle us to deer creek for a swim ,we would spend the afternoon swimming and fishing .great place Dutch

I to grew up there swimming every day in the summer holidays ,we lived in Langton and my folks owned the restaurant ba ck then ,dad drove the ambulance in town ,the good old days ,,,,,every day after the lunch time rush mom would tle us to deer creek for a swim ,we would spend the afternoon swimming and fishing .great place Dutch
Are you talking Harvey Deegs or in Langton itself?

there are a select few that put to much pressure on the browns in Deer Creek...its unfortunate...but its true...i wish some people would understand the word conservation.. on a personal level......just to mention we use to have a few good local resident trout spring fed creeks.. and not too long ago...I don't even bother fishin them anymore as i heard of guys fishin them out of season (yes poaching) and way to much pressure being over fished..its just a memory now..i know a couple of my older buddies quit fishin the spring for browns and specs and switched over to turkey hunting...and now there numbers are starting to drop in some places

Last edited:
I see people I believe to be poaching there all the time. Even know of one fellow who holds 'status' and heads in there to take what he wants when he wants. Trout in that place can be like shooting fish in a barrel at times, in the right places. So can the crappie. Extended pressure on the relatively small population is just a bad thing all around, especially when it becomes condensed into one small area.

I grew up right in Langton ,back then my folks called the restaurant the RED STAR ,,,,BOB Nack took over from mom and dad when we moved to Norwich ,,dad had a small gun shop in the restaurant back in those days ,,this is going back 30 plus years ,,,,Dutch
Are you talking Harvey Deegs or in Langton itself?

I have been fishing that place since I can remember as a child. I lamented when they changed the open and close dates to a tighter window, limiting boat access even further before May 24 and after Labour Day. Now, as a kayak angler, I have come to love it. The crowds disappear, along with them the citiots who have no consideration or understanding of rules of the water, written and unwritten. They treat it like an amusement park, and then leave their garbage for the rest of us to clean up on Monday. That place is near and dear to my heart, and fishing it in solitude when the fall colours are in full bloom, the bass are fat and active, the crappie are on the move and the trout are firing on all cylinders is one of life's little pleasures. Getting out in a bass boat once a year during Fish a Thon is cool treat, but I am glad that it doesn't get pounded by 2 the 0 big boats every weekend that the wind blows too much down at the point.

Then the rules should be consistent and not change from day to day and week to week. If if wasn't for me being good good friends with the directed on the long Pont conversation area(s) I probably would not have gotten a refund. He explained they are going to update the rules next year and make it clear but said the local supervision won't tell you that in hopes of getting season pass funds. He also said they are worried about guys who will fish it out and not catch and release . Guys in decent size boat with electric motors and have a dozen rods loom like they know what they doing .

That place is near and dear to my heart, and fishing it in solitude when the fall colours are in full bloom, the bass are fat and active, the crappie are on the move and the trout are firing on all cylinders is one of life's little pleasures. Getting out in a bass boat once a year during Fish a Thon is cool treat, but I am glad that it doesn't get pounded by 20 big boats every weekend that the wind blows too much down at the point.

I hope to see you out there sometime this fall. I used to live in Pinegrove and fished there quite a bit. If you happen to see a guy with a big hat in a yellow Tarpon paddling around that will be me. TC

I grew up right in Langton ,back then my folks called the restaurant the RED STAR ,,,,BOB Nack took over from mom and dad when we moved to Norwich ,,dad had a small gun shop in the restaurant back in those days ,,this is going back 30 plus years ,,,,Dutch
I'm going back 1970 to 76. Harvey and Dorothy used to put our food on the grill as soon as we walked in the door a lot of Saturdays back then. Been a few years since I've enjoyed a summer daybreak or evenings troll. Maybe next year.

Then the rules should be consistent and not change from day to day and week to week. If if wasn't for me being good good friends with the directed on the long Pont conversation area(s) I probably would not have gotten a refund. He explained they are going to update the rules next year and make it clear but said the local supervision won't tell you that in hopes of getting season pass funds. He also said they are worried about guys who will fish it out and not catch and release . Guys in decent size boat with electric motors and have a dozen rods loom like they know what they doing .
Was always clear to me - no gas motors on your boat. Not sure where the confusion arose...

whats the price for a seasons pass at deer creek?

Was always clear to me - no gas motors on your boat. Not sure where the confusion arose...
Confusion arose when the you were allowed to have a gas motor attached to your boat if you didn't use it. Then they requested you leave your fuel tank. Then they requested to leave your keys then it was must take it off. Then Helga stated you could run propane outboards as a alternative. Confusion also arose when these questions were asked prior to paying 70 plus for a season pass. At that time it was fine . I know some guys who pull their outboard off now there just to say they can . The season pass did cover waterford north and little lake where gas motors are fine (up to 9.9) but there you can still have your motor attached just use your electric to putt around.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks