Deer Creek

live to fish

hey all I am looking for some info on Deer Creek decide to change my plans and go there on Sunday and try it out I have fished there once during the spring. I am wondering what guys use for bait there and how thick the ice is? Any info would be great thanks

Tight lines Live to fish

Last time I fished it the trout were on. Fish deep . If I remember right there was 38 to 40 feet of water in one spot. A foot off bottom with something bright.....hope I didn't give away too much info...

I've heard the pan fishing can be good there too but I've never tried it since I got the bay at my door step

Deer creek is mostly full of rock bass. There are a few crappy there as well. Trout bite, but you have to toss them back. Deer creek is nice because it doesn't have the wind, but it doesn't really have the perch either.

Thanks all yeah trout are closed but hey nice crappie or sunfish are just as good as perch to me crappie I think are actually better then perch in some ways

You guys may be right.l about the trout. I know there were stocked from the same strain as Waterford trout pond and that was or is open all year for rainbows and browns. Learn something new everyday. There are some crappie in deer creek but I never had much luck with numerous. Always caught more bass through the ice there than crappies

@jerk bait that's alright if I can get out and just do catch and release that is fine by me just wanna get out once more before I leave for 2 weeks what do u use for bait when u go there?

I have not fished there but I started hittin pet stores this year and grabbin 100 wax worms for like $10 and stickin em on a glow teardrop and had lots of fun on the ice this year on small ponds

@jerk bait that's alright if I can get out and just do catch and release that is fine by me just wanna get out once more before I leave for 2 weeks what do u use for bait when u go there?
We used bright color power bait salmon eggs. Nothing fancy. I heard some guys will use real salmon roe in bags which should work even better. Brighter was by far better. A small jigging rap took the other fish.

catching an OOS fish by accident is one thing....targeting them is a whole other story! Illegal and unethical....trout season is closed in SW Ontario with very few exceptions. And now that everyone here is aware of that fact I hope the rules are followed.

And yes the bows in Deer Creek are stockers but I believe the Browns are all naturalized fish, a rarity for an impoundment in Ontario....all the more reason to respect them a little more.

Josh

All Show and No go @ Deer Creek today.......
WP_20150221_16_47_57_Pro__highres1_zpsxxhwv5ki.jpg

The crappies will likely be suspended over the deep basin near the dam right now. Hopefully you've got a sonar, drill holes and keep moving and maybe you'll be lucky enough to find a school...... The action won't last long, they'll keep moving. Drill in a circle outwards if they move off.....there's some huge ones in there!

Josh

The crappies will likely be suspended over the deep basin near the dam right now. Hopefully you've got a sonar, drill holes and keep moving and maybe you'll be lucky enough to find a school...... The action won't last long, they'll keep moving. Drill in a circle outwards if they move off.....there's some huge ones in there!

Josh
Thanks Josh yeah I got a flasher and a underwater camera so hopefully I'll find them

catching an OOS fish by accident is one thing....targeting them is a whole other story! Illegal and unethical....trout season is closed in SW Ontario with very few exceptions. And now that everyone here is aware of that fact I hope the rules are followed.

And yes the bows in Deer Creek are stockers but I believe the Browns are all naturalized fish, a rarity for an impoundment in Ontario....all the more reason to respect them a little more.

Josh
There are quite a few places around here that trout are open ALL year or have extended seasons which could include first ice my friend. The Browns is questioned were stocked at one time the same as the Browns in Waterford etc. They may be natural reproducing now , not sure on that. The question of unethical is a fair one but it could be a question of outdated laws. A prime example is the eastern basin bass fishery of lake erie where ontario residents have a dictated season and new York residents have a open season all year to fish the same population. It's up for debate ....on another day.

Josh
Hi Josh. There are quite a few areas in SW Ontario that have extended or open year round seasons. Good example is parts of big creek. The unethical question is a fair one but the question of outdated laws is as well. A example would be the eastern lake erie bass fishery. Ontario has a dictated season where new York residents can fish year round for the same fish population with no negative affects recorded as per New York State. That is a debate for another day though. I guess I should have been more clear and up front but I do possess a legal and valid aboriginal person status card for this area and Canada. I also possess a valid ontario sportsman licence as 95 percent of my fishing is pure sport catch and release. Nobody agrees with respect to the fisheries more than me but if I wish to take a trout to feed myself or my family I am well within my right. Please let's not start a debate on native rights vs non native rights etc and let's enjoy what's left of the hard water season.

any bass in dear creek? i drive by all the time on the way to long point and always wondered if deer creek had bass. not for ice fishing but maybe a summer outing! thanks for any info!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks