Crappy Day at Burwell

SonsOfPerchin

Was looking forward all week to chasing eyes today and even bought some new line and swivels for leaders.. Got out at 630 and the weather man lied. Waves were 2+ft with some coming over the bow. We stuck it out and they were biting. Got 6 first hour 3 went back in the water then a line snap?. 5 min later another pole went off then snap ?. 10 min after that my boy reals in a walleye and soon as it got in net line on that pole snapped ?. After inspecting everything somehow swivels were gradually cutting the line. Just went to Angling outfitters to get swivels that will work properly and some more spoons I finally got a couple of the famous 6 8 stickers

Weather man is a dyk. I buy sampo swivels even though they are stupid $ for just those reasons. Took a while for me to figure out that saving a couple bucks then ruining a day out doesn't make sense. i'll buy cheap rods but not cheap reels, cheap lures but not cheap swivels.

waves coming over the bow..wow..
lures are way to expensive to be loosing...i bought 2 shiners & a redfin yesterday from our local tackle shop..
the price $53
just to mention about swivels...not sure about others ..I use a quality ball bearing stay lock swivel..they do prevent line twist running certain spoons..
better luck next time out..

waves coming over the bow..wow..
lures are way to expensive to be loosing...i bought 2 shiners & a redfin yesterday from our local tackle shop..
the price $53
just to mention about swivels...not sure about others ..I use a quality ball bearing lock swivel..they do prevent line twist running certain spoons..
better luck next time out..
Thanks Mick and that's the type of swivel I bought today.

yes sir...we all live and learn...that one should work good... remember to keep it locked..

& I run 17lb mono and tie a 4X wrap improved clinch knot to the stay lok swivel..

Last edited:
I'll 3X the Torpedo ball bearing snap swivels, best I have ever used. I don't like big swivels and these are smaller and much stronger than all others I have used in the past. I paid $16.50 including tax for a pack of 10 size 2 at Dixie Dairy Bar in St. Thomas.

First time I ever had a issue with swivels cutting line but that's what I get for buying gear at Canadian tire

I retie all my stuff a couple of times a season now.

I lost too much gear the first couple of years on Erie. LOL :eek::banghead::(

Also slide my leaders across my lips looking for nicks regularly, and I check the rod eyes for nicks/chips/cracks, braid just loves those things.

I use a form of Palomar knot and it hasn't failed yet.

CYA on the water tomorrow, good luck.

years back sampo brand bb swivels were good too...I haven't seen them on the shelf for long time..

Sorry to hear about your luck ,Sons ofPerchin .We didn't hit the water until 8am and it was wavy for most of the morning but then the wind died and it was flat We limited out on eyes.Running dipsy on 3 119 back.and 6 and 7 leadcore.Running monkey puke blue spoons.
Fow?

Was looking forward all week to chasing eyes today and even bought some new line and swivels for leaders.. Got out at 630 and the weather man lied. Waves were 2+ft with some coming over the bow. We stuck it out and they were biting. Got 6 first hour 3 went back in the water then a line snap?. 5 min later another pole went off then snap ?. 10 min after that my boy reals in a walleye and soon as it got in net line on that pole snapped ?. After inspecting everything somehow swivels were gradually cutting the line. Just went to Angling outfitters to get swivels that will work properly and some more spoons I finally got a couple of the famous 6 8 stickers
Fow?

Some of the waves were coming over the bow of your boat?? WOW!! :oops: & Yikes!! :eek:Now that’s a “good walleye chop!!” :eek: @SonsOfPerchin ;) It’s great to read that you still did well under those conditions & what depth of water were you fishing in:unsure: if you don’t mind me asking,or were the fish scattered? :unsure:Thanks in advance & lets hope that the weather man will be more accurate in the wind forecast for the rest of this week & beyond!! Tight Lines & Fish ON!!?:cool:

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks