Off Topic cormorants

good post for a rainy day, subject has crossed my mind a bit since it was originally posted, but kept my mouth shut because on a outdoors forum, point out any flaw,s in the idea, and you become peta?
Let's be clear, I hate them, they stink, if I was duck hunting and it was a slow day, yey, let me see if I can make the shot.
But lets be real, first the public's concerns over safety, real or perseaved, lot more rec boaters than hard core outdoors men, "there eating my fish guys"?
Second, are you going to spend the dollars on expensive non toxic shot to blast them with no return, I'm not, but if you are, wish I had your budget?
Last thought, wasn't part of the cancellation of the spring bear hunt due to public pressure from seeing orffinned bear cubs starving? No offence to bear hunters, I don't hunt them but I get baiting to ID sex's and such and controlling population's.
What I'm getting at, how long before a vid hits UTube of starving baby corms falling from the nest after the adult's were culled if a hunt took place?
You, I, may be hard enough to deal with it, social media today won't, just saying

I have visions of anchored for perch with perch gear and a twelve gauge hoping for a fly by.Think I read this as the rule(anchored is the must to shoot from a boat)l do notice these birds fly fast and low,that means a lot of pellets skipping across the water.Not sure yet if I like the idea yet.Think make it legal to destroy eggs at nesting sites for a few years and see if it helps would be a safer event.Either way we have to many and something needs to be done.Nice long season also.

I have visions of anchored for perch with perch gear and a twelve gauge hoping for a fly by.Think I read this as the rule(anchored is the must to shoot from a boat)l do notice these birds fly fast and low,that means a lot of pellets skipping across the water.Not sure yet if I like the idea yet.Think make it legal to destroy eggs at nesting sites for a few years and see if it helps would be a safer event.Either way we have to many and something needs to be done.Nice long season also.
Hunting and fishing..... simultaneously ???? love it.

Honestly I can’t see anything good coming from this. The protest would be huge. Has scandal written all over it. 50 per day, just to dump them? Animal rights will have a field day vilifying the outdoors industry. As for cormorants eating fish....well that’s what they do, so do ospreys, bald eagles and loons (yes I realize it’s a numbers thing). But is there any concrete scientific evidence that they are indeed affecting fish populations (I’m actually asking)? I just have a bad feeling about it. Not to mention, areas that are particularly affected, such as Hamilton harbour, would they realistically have droves of people down there blasting away throughout the summer? Something doesn’t add up. Almost seems like they’re floating the idea to appease groups like OFAH, them waiting for the backlash just to call it off and say “We tried”

There is no more danger to the public than during hunting season for ducks !
The picture in the article should show a cormorant with a 12 inch rainbow trout in it's mouth, which I have seen at Owen Sound. These scientists assume those hunting are idiots or what?

Duck season is in the fall and winter when there are far less boats on the water and practically nobody on beaches or walking the shoreline. The proposed cormorant hunt would take place during the peak of "fishing, boating and beach" season. Nobody is calling hunters idiots, but it's reasonable to assume there will be more hunting related complaints and accidents when you have many more people sharing an area where shooting occurs.

The 50 bird limit is a big issue and will likely cause the most controversy as animal rights groups will claim hunters are going to wipe out the birds, even though it's not true. I think a lower limit would of 10 would make it much easier to get this passed with less opposition and changing the limit to 50 a year later wouldn't even draw any attention.

The antis will whine regardless whether it's 50 a day or just a single bird. Just this park photo from the article which looks like Hiroshima after the bomb should tell everyone these garbage cans need to be eradicated quickly by any means possible. :(

Cormorants are encouraged to nest on the ground in Toronto's Tommy Thompson Park. This area used to be filled with trees before they were destroyed by the bird's feces. (Natalie Nanowski/CBC NEWS )

The antis will whine regardless whether it's 50 a day or just a single bird. Just this park photo from the article which looks like Hiroshima after the bomb should tell everyone these garbage cans need to be eradicated quickly by any means possible. :(

Cormorants are encouraged to nest on the ground in Toronto's Tommy Thompson Park. This area used to be filled with trees before they were destroyed by the bird's feces. (Natalie Nanowski/CBC NEWS )
View attachment 13102
I’m not denying there are issues. But you can’t open up a 50 bag limit on birds for culling purposes when the vast majority of the problem colonies lie within Canada’s most populated centres, it won’t work, and legally can’t. Correct me if I’m wet it you can’t hunt within city limits anyway.

View attachment 13102
And just as a side note, us humans cause infinitely more damage than that in an hourly basis (collectively)

hmm 50 a day at how much a shell
even reloading it os going to be expensive
with Canada Geese its 5 a day I believe but what is the possession limit

There is no more danger to the public than during hunting season for ducks !
The picture in the article should show a cormorant with a 12 inch rainbow trout in it's mouth, which I have seen at Owen Sound. These scientists assume those hunting are idiots or what?

Come on, mid August, there's 100's of times more people on the water then mid Oct? Please explain how that's going to work? What about the family picnicking at Potahalk and the Corm culler's open up? hopefully they don't catch any stray lead, and they can just explain to their kids, their just sportsmen having fun killing?
Plus, can any on here say there willing to drive to the lake, pay a ramp, pay the fuel cost, spend the cash on that expensive non toxic shot, gather up shot birds, truck them home and bury them?
Do you really believe MNR, and more so politicians when they sell this shit, we're with you? well there talking in front of the outdoors crowd, shoot em? wonder what tune they sing in front of the general population?

if people are trespassing at Pottahawk when the legal club members do any shooting who is to blame
if I set up to shoot befor some one decides to come in and fish they are at fault and breaking the law.
same as I cannot go into some ones fishing area and start shooting

if people are trespassing at Pottahawk when the legal club members do any shooting who is to blame
if I set up to shoot befor some one decides to come in and fish they are at fault and breaking the law.
same as I cannot go into some ones fishing area and start shooting
Really? I’ve fished many times during hunting season with hunters around, on lakes during duck season and in rivers in the fall during deer season. But unknowing pedestrians in major cities is different. Again, I am not against this but there would have to be crazy regulations to the point that hunters won’t bother making it ineffective. Have they tried other means than culling?

@DSfishy… Pedestrians in major cities??? I realize this is a touchy subject for you but do you really think they will be shooting cormorants on city street corners? No gun hunting will be allowed in the city and never has so that's not even an issue. Crows are open all year and considered a pest with no bag limit so a 50 cormorant bag limit means nothing. No hunter in their right mind is going to spend anything to shoot them just like very few will for crows. The ministry will have to come up with another solution because a cull will not work for the reason stated so stop worrying that the sky is falling. You won't get shot while fishing unless it's intentional by someone who's fishing spot you invaded. LOL!!! ;)

@DSfishy… Pedestrians in major cities??? I realize this is a touchy subject for you but do you really think they will be shooting cormorants on city street corners? No gun hunting will be allowed in the city and never has so that's not even an issue. Crows are open all year and considered a pest with no bag limit so a 50 cormorant bag limit means nothing. No hunter in their right mind is going to spend anything to shoot them just like very few will for crows. The ministry will have to come up with another solution because a cull will not work for the reason stated so stop worrying that the sky is falling. You won't get shot while fishing unless it's intentional by someone who's fishing spot you invaded. LOL!!! ;)
Obviously I’m aware it won’t be on city streets, I meant recreational people sharing the same areas, perhaps pedestrians was the wrong choice of words. However if this was going to work it would have to be centred toward the Golden Horseshoe where the vast majority of the population of birds occurs. If you read my post you would have noticed that I stated that I am comfortable fishing during hunting season. And to your comments, you are essentially agreeing with me that something needs to be done but culling isn’t the answer. No hunters I know would be willing to spend time any money shooting something they can’t eat.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks