Colchester Easter Weekend

Joey D

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I’m considering traveling to the west end to fish for walleye on the Easter weekend. Is that too early for this area?

I’ve never fished the west end any time of year but thought it might be worth trying this year to hold me over until the Central Basin heats up.

I’m assuming that the Detroit river would be a better bet for late April but I don’t have a trolling motor and I’m not a big fan of crowds.

Any tips or suggestions for Colchester/Leamington area would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Joe

That’s where I’ll be. Water clarity and temperature dependant. The hogs will be making their way out from the river after dumping their eggs! I called ahead last year for April 22nd. Ramp wasn’t opened or serviced but was useable, sans drift wood from the flood..... see ya out there!

It’s pretty shallow down there regardless (out of colchester) I don’t pay as much attention to the depths at that end as much as I do the water clarity and the posts from the satalite pictures. Predominantly worm harnesses trolled slow but I usually put at least one (depending on numbers in the boat and lines out) crank bait out... sometimes it pays off. April is pretty early for the big water in my opinion but there are some hogs to be had. May will be rocking down there though. Good luck

Thanks, @willisride. What kind of depths are you fishing in that part of the lake? Are worm harnesses the go-to?

If you go @Joey D best of luck and let us know how you make out. ?:)
It might be worth hauling my boat down that way,and not having to wait for the walleye’s to show up this way in June-maybe,around the Port Glasgow to Port Burwell area of Lake Erie.Hopefully the fishing is good in the Colchester area & good luck @Joey D if you do get a chance to fish in the Colchester area,& it would be nice to hear from @big rod as well for some input for the Colchester area,who knows that area very well!! ???(y):)

When we go down that way its been way to long since my last trip down.lol.We normally try to get 2 days of fishing like leave early Saturday morning and stay over a night before fishing again the next day and then heading home.As mentioned above BigRod normally teases us with some famous wheelbarrel shots of his catches.

ya thats pretty early...the green mile marker off colchester is a classic first place to try...traveling west down to holiday beach from colchester was a good early spot...when we use to go we usually went off leamington...water depths we fished were 28ft to 34/36ft...going that early body baits usually work good...bottom bouncers and also riggers & inline planers ...ya post spawn bite wormharnesses are usually a sure thing..
2nd option if erie water is rough or dirty...is tremblay beach 12 fow mud flat and surrounding area at the mouth of the Thames lighthouse cove..still a bit early for post spawn pics..
we always went in June...we usually start LSC may victoria weekend...I like going in june...the fish are there and hungry and for post spawn quality...

good luck.. you should be able to find and score some fish...find some minnows and you can bottom fish perch too

colchester has an annual spring fishing derby...can anybody refresh my memory of the location of the helicopter pad...where was that...

Last edited:
I follow a guy on social media who has been fishing the West end of Lake Erie for the last 2 days, they have been doing very well with some giant Pics. Looks like there is lots of boats out there as well.

Thanks @Tcat I just wondered if its still out there..We use to pick up fish around there too...

Last edited:
ya i did mention lighthouse cove an option.. mouth of the thames is a great spot for spring walleyes...just a word of caution...you have to be extremely careful of the trees...in the thames river.. the mouth... the channel and the southeast corner of LSC...ya the wash out of thames river trees every spring...you need to drive slow...the floating debris is dangerous at fuller throttle..theres a couple good free boat launch options...jeanettes creek & lighthouse cove...theres downtime for this spot too waiting for the water to cleanup..the fish to stackup with rising water temps from the rivers warmer spring rains..

Too true. That place is a menace, stuff is always changing locations through the season as well. Stay safe!

ya i did mention lighthouse cove an option.. mouth of the thames is a great spot for spring walleyes...just a word of caution...you have to be extremely careful of the trees...in the thames river.. the mouth... the channel and the southeast corner of LSC...ya the wash out of thames river trees every spring...you need to drive slow...the floating debris is dangerous at fuller throttle..theres a couple good free boat launch options...jeanettes creek & lighthouse cove...theres downtime for this spot too waiting for the water to cleanup..the fish to stackup with rising water temps from the rivers warmer spring rains..

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks