Classifieds Section Changes

stomp

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned elsewhere, the advertising income that Channel 6-8 generates is less these days and expenses are more. The Classifieds Section was meant to be a perk to frequent contributors of content or those providing financial support to Channel 6-8. However, it's my opinion that the Classifieds are often used by those seeking only to sell their goods, for free, to those in the Channel 6-8 community. Additionally, ads are often for firearms and related items, which are frowned upon by my key advertising partners, and result in no related advertising income on that content. So, I've decided to make the following changes regarding use of the Classified Section.

• Those that have the Channel 6-8 R.O.C. designation can continue to use the Classifieds Section for free to sell small ticket items (<$100) and post "wanted" ads, etc. .
  • For other Classified users, or those wanting to sell bigger ticket items like boats, trailers, ATVs and the like, there is now in place an option to purchase "PromoThreads" in the Classified section. I've introduced some advertsing packages that enable this new capability and have restricted some permissions in the Classifieds Section in support of these changes. The current options are shown below.1671459545637.png
  • A new "Ads Manager" menu item allows you to access the Ad Packages above and create threads in the Classifieds Section.
    1671459963959.png
  • Payment options are PayPal or e-transfer
  • Existing ads in the Classified Section will remain as they are for a month.

A lot of code and configuration changes underpin this advertising function and there are likely to be some issues. Please start a conversation with me if you have questions about these changes or notice issues with function.

Last edited:
what about items going for free? If we post an add that requires payment will you let us know or do we have to set it up in advance?

thanks

You are in the ROC group @Outdorman , so your ads for freebies should, themselves, be free. You should select the ROC package with zero cost.

That's ok with me @Truck26 .
I completely agree with Stomp, there are far too many dead ads that keep getting recirculated for years. I feel sorry for Admin trying to maintain over 300 pages of old adds some well over a decade old. I just need a delete button so I can take down my old adds promptly.

That is a good idea.
I completely agree with Stomp, there are far too many dead ads that keep getting recirculated for years. I feel sorry for Admin trying to maintain over 300 pages of old adds some well over a decade old. I just need a delete button so I can take down my old adds promptly.
I've done a bunch of clean-up of old/stale ads today. Literally thousands of threads were processed and lots of stuff apparently sold. I will create a CRON job to automatically archive threads that have been marked "SOLD".

So will we still be able to advertise firearms for sale?
I believe if you pay the additional fee. One of the reasons I chip in to the site is because of the great classifieds section, even though I seldom use it. I believe this will kill off the classifieds pretty well. But, it’s a private site with one boss so it is what it is! Still a good site otherwise!

As long as what's being transacted is legal, then no issues @trky chsr . I got cheesed off at a lot of the sellers that I saw, rightly or wrongly, as selling lots, but otherwise making little or no contribution to the site. Over the years, whenever I asked some sellers about paying a bit for their ads, it almost always went badly. I didn't consider the benefits to buyers and that lurkers actually enjoyed seeing what was for sale.

As long as what's being transacted is legal, then no issues @trky chsr . I got cheesed off at a lot of the sellers that I saw, rightly or wrongly, as selling lots, but otherwise making little or no contribution to the site. Over the years, whenever I asked some sellers about paying a bit for their ads, it almost always went badly. I didn't consider the benefits to buyers and that lurkers actually enjoyed seeing what was for sale.
Sounds good Stomp, thanks. I'm fully supportive of the changes, don't blame you at all. TC

The benefits to buyers is you are shopping with a reputable(??) clientele. When you buy or sell from a 68 member I feel a lot safer than if the same add was on kigigi. If you sell a lot of items and don't cough up a couple of bucks for Stomp to pay the bills then I won't miss you. You still have the option of being an annual contributor and sell for free for anything under $100. For the cost of a couple of coffees (Starbucks) you get to sell for free. If you sell a boat or a car, you should consider the $20 as a finders fee, which is WAY less than selling a boat on consignment.

STOMP for Prime Minister !!!!!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks