Cell phone reception

cmac

Hi all, the assumption is 98% of the membership have cell phones which they take with them on the boat. Do you have reception on the lake? I am with Telus (15+ years) and as soon as I approach the ramps, I lose all reception and nothing at all on the water. I don't use a data plan with my phone, I use a lap top with internet stick for that. If any members have good reception on the water, please let me know who your provider is...Bell, Rogers etc.
Thanks in advance,
Mike

Thanks simps88, I knew one of the major players provided service on the water though wasn't sure which one. I will look into that today. Thanks again for your quick response.

cheers!

I also use Bell. Good reception on Erie, Huron & St Clair. But beware the dreaded "roaming" icon on your phone.....the American towers reach out into our lakes pretty far!

Looks like Bell is the big winner today. Thanks again guys for your input...and honesty...a true display of the character of 68!
cheers!

i am with telus have have great reception out on the water, Nanticoke - burwell. I can phone, text and check the radar from it without a problem.

I am with Rogers I get great reception out on the lake
But I find I have poor reception when I'm in certain areas on land...
make sense much?

I just got off the phone with a senior client care rep with Telus explaining to her my concerns with reception and the desire to cancel my plan. She asked, how is the reception at home (BC)? Excellent!! full bars whether on the flats or in a valley nestled between 2 mountains. She indicated Telus owns the towers on the west coast and if a tower went down it is fixed religiously with in 48 hrs. depending on accessibility. In SWO, however, there is an alarmingly high rate of towers down and not repaired which Telus rent, not own, 2 between Fingal and Chatham, she stated try to get good service in that area and 1 right around the corner from me, Southdale and Fairview (St. Thomas). This tower, she indicated, has been down for 8 years! This tower services St. Thomas, Union, Port Stanley, Port Bruce and the north shore of Erie in the respected corridor. Your service will be limited at best and nothing we (Telus) can do about it unfortunately. That explains 2-3 bars when sitting on my back deck by St. Joe's high school. Derkd9, for this reason you may experience unexplainable service interruptions...weak signal strength. At the end of the conversation, she did concede Bell subscribers will experience better reception then Telus subscribers. But, not to be out done, as I have been a client for too many years, she offered me a complete top of the line premium package, inc. phone, for what I am paying now if I chose to stay with Telus. Hmmmm...try and get that degree of customer service from Rogers. Something I wasn't expecting though, of course, I took her up on the offer as that is a win-win situation across the board ,however, I still need reception on the water so I will venture out this afternoon and pick up a simple Bell package for that purpose alone.
So, again, thanks for the input folks and I hope some of the above information she surrendered can shed light on the reception concerns we are experiencing around here.

cheers!

For the price we pay for cell phone service now a days, downed cell phone towers are completely un acceptable. Pisses me off to hear that.

I have good service on Telus all over the lake except around Port Glasgow but my buddies Rogers had no reception down in that area either. Could be the towers that are down as CMAC says are shared or something.

G.Mech, you have service on your phone with Telus on the lake? e;g;, 10 miles out? What make/model phone do you use if you din't mind me asking?

I'm not sure if you guys are aware but Telus runs off of bells towers, I'm with public mobile (cheapest company you'll find) with good service. I switched from bell, they are a 3rd party company off Telus, which is off bell. I switched from bell and have zero issues anywhere same service. Lake to lake all is well. I would guess you have a phone issue more than anything.

I have a Telus plan with no data on my phone. I have great reception out on the water and yes far from shore. I have newer phone Acadel Idol,, ( miss my Samsung) but it does the job when needed. I drop more messages in Ingersoll ( hometown ) than I do on the water. From Long Point to Burwell.

G.Mech, you have service on your phone with Telus on the lake? e;g;, 10 miles out? What make/model phone do you use if you din't mind me asking?

Yes, I fish offshore all over the lake and have good service on my Crackberry Classic other than in the Pt Stanley - Pt Glasgow area which is a little sketchy at times. Leamington, Pelee Island areas are fine as are Port Bruce, Port Burwell, Nanticoke, and Pt Colborne areas. I have always had great customer service with Telus as well and have a number of business accounts with them.

I just got off the phone with a senior client care rep with Telus explaining to her my concerns with reception and the desire to cancel my plan. She asked, how is the reception at home (BC)? Excellent!! full bars whether on the flats or in a valley nestled between 2 mountains. She indicated Telus owns the towers on the west coast and if a tower went down it is fixed religiously with in 48 hrs. depending on accessibility. In SWO, however, there is an alarmingly high rate of towers down and not repaired which Telus rent, not own, 2 between Fingal and Chatham, she stated try to get good service in that area and 1 right around the corner from me, Southdale and Fairview (St. Thomas). This tower, she indicated, has been down for 8 years! This tower services St. Thomas, Union, Port Stanley, Port Bruce and the north shore of Erie in the respected corridor. Your service will be limited at best and nothing we (Telus) can do about it unfortunately. That explains 2-3 bars when sitting on my back deck by St. Joe's high school. Derkd9, for this reason you may experience unexplainable service interruptions...weak signal strength. At the end of the conversation, she did concede Bell subscribers will experience better reception then Telus subscribers. But, not to be out done, as I have been a client for too many years, she offered me a complete top of the line premium package, inc. phone, for what I am paying now if I chose to stay with Telus. Hmmmm...try and get that degree of customer service from Rogers. Something I wasn't expecting though, of course, I took her up on the offer as that is a win-win situation across the board ,however, I still need reception on the water so I will venture out this afternoon and pick up a simple Bell package for that purpose alone.
So, again, thanks for the input folks and I hope some of the above information she surrendered can shed light on the reception concerns we are experiencing around here.

cheers!

So they admit the coverage is sub-par in the areas you use it the most. Tell you they have a tower that is nfg for the last 8 years..... and try to smooth talk you back into another contract???

You seem like a very intelligent person and have helped another member here with his boat & the crookedness he dealt with. So I personally would walk away from Telus. Here is a useful video from CBC Marketplace that may help you and other members here lower their bills.

Extra Virgin, Telus rent the towers in Ont. from Bell. Bell dictates what gets fixed and when...not Telus. I have been with Telus for just short of 18 years according to their records and have had outstanding customer service. Back home in the Kootaney's, I have full reception in the valley's between the mountains yet I struggle with connection in SWO at times. Telus own the towers out west and maintain them, therefore, great coverage.
zzguffy901, First thing I thought of was phone issues however, since it worked flawlessly in the mountains and anywhere west of Ont., I flushed that theory down the toilet. The phone works fine.

Had Bell last summer. Port Bruce is a dead zone and worked fine once on the water. Rogers perfect every time.

There are dead spots all over the lake. Doesn't matter which provider you are with. I've been with Telus since they came to Ontario. Bell and Rogers may have more towers but their customer service sucks sh!t. Once you get 10-15+miles off shore there are no guarantees thus the need for a VHF.

I live in rural Ontario, so I know that Bell has the monopoly on the towers. Bell has the most towers in Ontario, and that is how they won the contract for the now defunct high speed Bell Wymax internet. As for the cellular network since they own the monopoly, it only makes sense for them to dictate when their competitors can upgrade on there rented space on Bells towers..... You speak of BC so I am guessing you travel there a lot and use Telus seamlessly. I am not trying to prop up Bell since I have had my fair share of b.s with them. I am just saying that the only dead spot I get with them is in my basement :banghead:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks