catfish report

highhopes

anybody got one I don't fished burwell on sunday and never moved a rod water temp was 49 when we started and 51 when we lift is it ever going to warm up .the river is perfect for them but wth the temps there not moving in yet. oh yea bradfields have minnows in now if anyone is looking

I believe there was an early run in one of the tribs i fish, but they have totally scattered with no back fill of fish making them hard to locate. I would imagine with the rain and steady temps this week the next wave should be on the way in. Very bad year for cats so far. Ive never been skunked twice in April before, including last year when I was off work and likely went 20 times in the month.
Once the major bait schools move in the resident cats will activate and the lake run fish will be right on their tails.

yea its been a crazy spring I fished burwell for 20 plus years now and I don't remember the river beening this cold this time of year but there coming the perch guys are getting them in there nets and the river is nice and high right now.

Slow warm up this year....They haven't had a reason to leave the lake as the temps aren't much warmer in the tribs. Cats have no problem spawning in the lake if trib temps don't draw them in. Concentrate on the first deep hole or two close to the lake in the afternoon/evening this weekend and you may find a good pod of them;)

Speaking for the smaller tribs, Otter, Catfish and other tribs that size, there aren't many true "resident" cats of any size. There are a percentage of fish that will head back to the lake after spawning and some will stick around, particularly in warmer years. If temps drop too much many cats will head back to the warmer lake waters after the spawn, possibly returning if they are again drawn in by increased flows and significantly warmer creek water. On the other hand, larger rivers like the Thames and Grand do have significant resident populations...

Josh

Slow warm up this year....They haven't had a reason to leave the lake as the temps aren't much warmer in the tribs. Cats have no problem spawning in the lake if trib temps don't draw them in. Concentrate on the first deep hole or two close to the lake in the afternoon/evening this weekend and you may find a good pod of them;)

Speaking for the smaller tribs, Otter, Catfish and other tribs that size, there aren't many true "resident" cats of any size. There are a percentage of fish that will head back to the lake after spawning and some will stick around, particularly in warmer years. If temps drop too much many cats will head back to the warmer lake waters after the spawn, possibly returning if they are again drawn in by increased flows and significantly warmer creek water. On the other hand, larger rivers like the Thames and Grand do have significant resident populations...

Josh
Oh trust me, every tactic has been employed in every location. Even used a sonar last time out to graph deeper holes. Some fish around but once you catch a couple from a prime spot they just aren't there in numbers to sustain the fun! They aren't filled in yet that's for sure. Makes working a pool or a run or lay downs frustrating. All those great spots and nothing. The sheep moved in last week and numbers of cats per trip are climbing ever so slightly but it was still a grind to get to 5 with 3 guys in 8 hours on the weekend. We cover water too.
As for resident fish in small tribal I do agree with one caveat - harbour dwellers I call them. There are usually a couple of big ugly girls that take up the primo spots at the mouth, as long as I care to chase them. I've seen the one I have come to know well a couple of times already this year, but she has a new tree crossing her old one and I can't put a bait on her snout anymore. She's here from start to finish (March-July) and if she moves out, I bet it ain't too far. She ain't pretty, like most resident trib fish. Beat up and battle worn.
God I hope that info about spawning in the lake isn't the case. I've fished them in the basin a few times to no avail. It's a lot of water.

Oh trust me, every tactic has been employed in every location. Even used a sonar last time out to graph deeper holes. Some fish around but once you catch a couple from a prime spot they just aren't there in numbers to sustain the fun! They aren't filled in yet that's for sure. Makes working a pool or a run or lay downs frustrating. All those great spots and nothing. The sheep moved in last week and numbers of cats per trip are climbing ever so slightly but it was still a grind to get to 5 with 3 guys in 8 hours on the weekend. We cover water too.
As for resident fish in small tribal I do agree with one caveat - harbour dwellers I call them. There are usually a couple of big ugly girls that take up the primo spots at the mouth, as long as I care to chase them. I've seen the one I have come to know well a couple of times already this year, but she has a new tree crossing her old one and I can't put a bait on her snout anymore. She's here from start to finish (March-July) and if she moves out, I bet it ain't too far. She ain't pretty, like most resident trib fish. Beat up and battle worn.
God I hope that info about spawning in the lake isn't the case. I've fished them in the basin a few times to no avail. It's a lot of water.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks