Campfire walleye

Josh Roelofsen

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
We eat walleye, panfish, trout and salmon atleast a couple times a week at my place. Tonight we tried something I usually reserve for trout fillets......campfire poached walleye in tinfoil.....we used the biggest fillets from a couple 10lb+ walleye from yesterday's outing. Cut fillets in half, butter, onion flakes, oregano, old bay and lemon pepper and then a big splash of sprite to ad moisture....

Definitely an amazing dinner. I've been learning lately that crispy and fried isn't always better.
IMG_20220322_213007.jpg20220322_214853.jpg20220322_215129.jpg20220322_215137.jpg20220322_215312.jpg

Last edited:
That does look excellent, can almost smell it. My camp gang likes a variation we call fish lasagna, works best with walleye. Layer of walleye in foil, layer of antipasto (preferred, but salsa works too), layer of oldest cheddar cheese available, top layer of fish, wrap. Then onto grate over fire. Its good and easy too.

We eat walleye, panfish, trout and salmon atleast a couple times a week at my place. Tonight we tried something I usually reserve for trout fillets......campfire poached walleye in tinfoil.....we used the biggest fillets from a couple 10lb+ walleye from yesterday's outing. Cut fillets in half, butter, onion flakes, oregano, old bay and lemon pepper and then a big splash of sprite to ad moisture....

Definitely an amazing dinner. I've been learning lately that crispy and fried isn't always better.
View attachment 55910View attachment 55906View attachment 55907View attachment 55908View attachment 55909
@Josh Roelofsen The Sprite is an interesting addition... does it make it sweet too or not enough to change the taste?

Doesn't do alot for flavour, slightly sweet hint of lemon/lime. But it does aid in the steaming and helps keep everything nice and moist. Not unlike a some white wine would do but thats something I rarely have kicking around.

I too have got to take a different approach, the last batch of fried fish just didn't cut it like normal.

Looking through recipes for one that I think will tickle the tastebuds.

Time for change. 🌻

I too have got to take a different approach, the last batch of fried fish just didn't cut it like normal.

Looking through recipes for one that I think will tickle the tastebuds.

Time for change. 🌻

With the larger fillets on the Erie fish, frying doesn't work so well unless you cut the thickness in half. Frying gets old for sure.

We did some more big meaty fillets today. We half cooked bacon fillets while marinating big think chunks of Walleye in sundried tomato and oregano salad dressing. Took out the Walleye and doused with pepper, lemon and lime powder (called real lemon and real lime available available in shakers on amazon they're amazing!) old bay, onion flakes and garlic. Then wrapped the walleye chunks in a slice of bacon and baked at 420f until the bacon was browned and crispy. I put a little smoked habernaro hot sauce on mine, a little BBQ sauce works too. Also a great recipe for the grill 😉
20220326_180312.jpgScreenshot_20220326-224501_Messenger.jpg

@Josh Roelofsen, that powder sounds very interesting. Love fresh lemon, but don't like the bottles of juice. It would be convenient for camping trips etc to have a powder. Is it this one? Thanks

True Citrus, 1 x 100ct Box True Lemon and 1 x 100ct Box True Lime (200 Packets Total)
Here's a recipe I use fairly often with walleye and the whole family loves it. It's a low carb recipe that calls for almond flour but I'm sure it would be just as good if not better with plain old flour or bread crumbs.

This second one is for salmon but I have used it with bass, trout, and walleye and it's just as good. It's a keto recipe that's high in fat(not necessarily a healthier option then frying) but it's easy and will impress the wife. I add a little more parsley then the recipe calls for and adjust cooking time for the type of fish and thickness. Ben

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks