Buyer Beware

Helmut

So in previous post i mentioned buying a 1989 23ft Bayliner Trophy. I was very happy with the deal and the boat. That is until the second trip out when the fuel tank apparently ruptured. Fact is that was the first time i filled it right up.
Likely the previous owner knew about the leak in the upper portion of the tank that is why i got a good deal. $4500 for the boat and 4 cannon electrics and all safety equipment.
Now that very boat sit at Ron Banks marine waiting for a new tank install. The grand total on that is going to be $6100.
Well what does one do here?????? I cannot resell the boat knowing that this potential life threateneing problem exists and if i mention it the sale is likely dead. SO i am fixing it. Bottom line here is I have a 10 grand 1998 boat. Just freekin great.
So my well learned advice to all is get the boat surveyed and mechanically checked. No body is above suspicion so I found out. Rant Over[V]

Wow. 6100 to repair. My tank cracked a few years ago on my boat. I took the tank out and repaired it reinstalled it in about 4 hours. Cost me 30 bucks. You should find another repair shop.

Definately seek another estimate. $6000 is outrageous you'd think the whole boat would have to be taken apart for that.

Hope for the best for you,

Rob

sure its possible the previous owner didn't know but i doubt it. likely a survey would not have spotted it (and i wouldn;t survey a 4500$ boat anyway). even if you had had a sea trial the owner would just put a few litres in to go for a rip. the only way to have noticed this if you can't see the tank itself would be the evidence of leaking fuel in the boat. but all boats smell like gas to some extent.
this would be toiugh to spot, a lesson for future boat buyers. but of course, your post title says it all.

now on to the repair...WHAT THE BLEEEP!!!! ill do it for 6000$. ridiculous. preposterous. does it come with a new engine?? i'm sure it provides fuel (not intended) to the rant to have a crazy high price for repair but now it is time to move on - its not difficult, even if you don't so it yourself get another opinion - or 5.
good luck

Please tell us you havent given the green light to the repairs!! Be interesting to see the detailed "quote" sheet to see just what this job entails.

Feel your pain, awful bitter pill to have to swallow tho.

[img=left]http://www.myfishingpictures.com/img/067096.gif[/img=left]

Unfortunatley the tank alone is 1000. Has to be custom made. Also the entire top of the boat must come off to get to it. To cut open the floor then redo that would be about the same as taking the top off.

Is your boat a 1989 0r a 1998? If it is a 1998 the floor is removable to get at the tank in about 30 seconds

Before going ahead with this repair have the drive inspected and a leak down or compression test on the engine. I would hate to have it need another $5000.00 next year for engine and drive.

I'd likely cut my losses, sell the cannon's and equipment separately, sell the motor and drive seperately, make what I can off it and scrap the boat. You'll never see your money out of it otherwise.

Hi all.

Helmut.

Discouraging news no doubt. The one liner that keeps coming up is....
There are two good days in your life. The day you buy your boat and the day you sell it.
You have been given advice here on the Forum and it is worth sifting through.

The real issue is that you have a problem not who gave it to you.

Let's look at how to fix the problem you have. I hope that is the goal.

Fibre Glass is easy to work with. Cutting into nice finshed Glass and Gel Coat makes my stomach turn. I had to do it. You can to.

I am not an expert and never will be. I can help and I believe other members of this Forum can to.

This isn't a $6000.00 job. It's people you know and in this case you don't that can help.

PM me if you want.

Cheers, Clark

Geeeze thats nasty.But it's nice to see so many people offering suggestions.The 6,000. does sound very high - I would absolutely get a couple more esimates if I was going to proceed along the repair route. But as someone else suggested - I would really consider stripping it down and selling off the gear and equipment if there is enough to recover a decent amount of your cash back - but as far as a paying a 6,000. repair bill, brings to mind the old saying about... " NOT THROWING GOOD MONEY AT THE BAD MONEY " - It sucks either way. I sure hope you can have it repaired, but for much less than 6,000....Is there no way to cut out for an access panel and possibly just repair the tank where it sits (possibly with an epoxy if it's not too bad and in a spot where you can get at it ) and then fabricate a hatch frame and cover panel?..Best of luck - keep us posted!

just another thought-is there an access hole?there usually is to get at the sending unit! most tank leaks ar there ! I would assume ur tank is made of either of s/s or plastic-they dont normally leak unless damaged or at fittings,did u check that out?IT is not a hard job 2 cut floor an replace tank a lot cheaper!!! just my 2 cents worth.

It amazes Me just how many experts come to bat on the internet...not one has seen the boat or the problem but they all can fix it for a grand. Sorry to see that your having this issue with your boat for sure but there are 2 ways of fixing a problem....the right way and every other way that isn't. I am confident that the shop that is handling your problem is not stearing you wrong. Have delt with them extensively in the past and they will always be my "go to" when I want a job done right.

Hope all works out well for you. If you like the boat it is worth spending the money and being sure the problem is fixed properly and guarenteed.

JMHO.

Gar

I had the same problem with a boat, smelled like dryer softenner sheets when i bought it.
after filling tank. spent the night on it and woke up to the smell of gas fumes. Next day, pulled boat out of water, emptied tank, took out galley and fridge, cut hole in floor,( got lucky no skeletons or extra work) and had a good look at tank.
tank had pinholes, so decided to put a bandaid on the situation and brought it to a welding fabricating shop, and they built a tank over the existing tank with aluminum, thereby bypassing putting bevels in the tank.
they had it done in 2 days, ready to reinstall.
fibreglassed floor and carpeted, put galley and fridge back
total labour time with 2 people was 50 hours plus cost of fabricating
thanks to the carpeting, we couldn't really tell what had been done.
so basically it depends on how much work you want to do personally, and feel comfortable about doing the work, and who you hire.
I've dealt with Ron Banks, his work has always been excellent with me and headache free.

I really appreciate all the info guys are throwing out there, After all thats why we post right?
As of right now Ron Banks is doing the job. I hate like hell to pay that price but I do like the boat. Is it throwing good money after bad? You bet it is but, that spart of owning toys.
I have heard nothing but good about that shop so I will see how it goes. He was very good at explaining my options with me.
Can I do the work myself? well I could do all the work including build the tank,But that means time and a lot of it for one guy. SO not really an option(gotta go hunting to you know);)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks