Burwell to Hastings

Way She Goes

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Went out today with my wife. Great day on the lake BUT couldn't find them in all my favorite spots. Trolled for some eyes on the way in from clear creek to sand hills in 52 feet of water nada. Best part of the day was that I out fished the wife. I got 2 and she only got 1. Just like my handle Way She goes. Got a lunch for tomorrow.

Thanks- always look forward to your reports. Seems like more than a few anglers have struggled of late. Any ideas on why?

Not sure. Deb at the ramp told me today that a guy got 80 of the pier this morning where we power up. And they have been getting some off the rock pile also. Maybe they have moved even closer. Usually there in close to spawn in the spring. Been kinda screwy.

Wow- 80 keepers off a pier is insane. They were in close two weeks ago when I fished Hastings. I was inside a mile from shore.​

i fished the rocks the last couple weeks with a buddie to save on gas ,its bin ok nothing like i remember it was ten years ago...lol...still caught are limits for the most part ,lots of dinks

Heard from a guy from MI that Big Dave has struggled at times lately too. He generally does a good job putting his clients on fish but the fish gods don't discriminate!

Went out today with my wife. Great day on the lake BUT couldn't find them in all my favorite spots. Trolled for some eyes on the way in from clear creek to sand hills in 52 feet of water nada. Best part of the day was that I out fished the wife. I got 2 and she only got 1. Just like my handle Way She goes. Got a lunch for tomorrow.

Well, is the first problem that you took your wife along? lol ...sorry......ducking as the bricks come flying my way! :p

Well, is the first problem that you took your wife along? lol ...sorry......ducking as the bricks come flying my way! :p
If I got left behind there would be hell to pay. If the boat is going out fishing so is this girl. I love it as much as most men. I can be told at 1 am we are going fishing I'm up by 4 packed and ready to leave by 445. So it would be a cold day in hell that I got left behind.

If I got left behind there would be hell to pay. If the boat is going out fishing so is this girl. I love it as much as most men. I can be told at 1 am we are going fishing I'm up by 4 packed and ready to leave by 445. So it would be a cold day in hell that I got left behind.
Fisher Girl My wife is the same way . She is already checking the winds for Saturday !!

I wish I could get my wife out fishing. : ( She can't stand going out if I'm going fishing.

Sucks that the perch population has taken a hit.....loose lips sink ships;) next time they bounce back and limits of 12-13's are easy to find don't advertise ;) guys wonder why lpb doesn't produce the 6-7lb smallies that are so common across the better part of Erie.....cause they're dead! in the dumpster at 2-3lbs;) look at the fish cleaning stations opener....

Hastings "was" the spot for a bit....hey guess what!? The perch supply ISN'T endless....

Sorry for the rant....just my honest opinion

Josh

Don't get me wrong, I won't tell anyone to throw back Erie perch eyes or bows......just don't be surprised when the fishery takes a hit;) everyone seems to think the fish populations are perfectly maintained by the allotted quotas!? Sorry....the MNR officials are NOT as educated as you'd hope.....the potential is there for world class sport fishing on our side of the lake but our government can't see beyond the first tier $$$ generated by the commercial fleet.....the potential tourism industry on our Erie shore could, without a doubt, produce enough revenue to retire the archaic commercial fleet on our North shore....our province reacts to fisheries issues 10yrs too late....nippissing is a perfect example, evidence of an impending crash was there in the 90's;) nothing done.......I sold my rigging boat in '07.....mismanagement of Erie was my reasoning. There is NO excuse for it not being a world class lake.....multiple MILLION pound commercial quotas killed the lake. Think about it.....MILLIONS ;) the lake is productive but not enough so to allow for the stupid harvest we allow...

Josh

Last edited:
@Josh Roelofsen
I'm
No expert but don't you think that if the commercial guys have fished the perch population down to next to nothing they would be pulling in empty fish nets and be going out of business?

Nope, I don't derk....the prices would surely rise. Out of curiousity derk, how long have you been fishing Erie? I'm only 36 but have 25+ yrs of relevant personal experience on Erie...commercial guys won't go out out of business, store prices will rise and make the effort worth their while;)

To think huge nets (up to 1km) long have no effect on the fishery is naive. Erie isn't as big as you may think....allowing a commercial fishery on top of North America's most diverse and productive waters seems counter productive to me!?

And no, I don't have a hate on for the commercial boats. I'd rape the lake too if I owned a boat and had millions of pounds alloted to my quota...they'll be the first to bitch when quotas are dropped and it gets tough to make a living on the lake though;) won't be long.....

Josh

Last edited:
i also agree 100 percent with josh..i dont think the mnr has a real fix on amounts out there.they really only watch the commercial guys to so degree..

Just some food for thought.....lakr Erie is has an area of 9900 square miles. This year's perch quota is 9.2 million pounds. That's 9292 pounds of perch taken from every square mile. And this happens every year! And if you take into account that only about 1/2 the lake is prime perch habitat you can double that number.

The recommended TAC for walleye lake wide is about 5 million fish this year. That works out to about 500 walleye per square mile harvested.

Does this really sound reasonable to anyone!?

Josh

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks