Burwell Thursday

OMG....if you Perch fish Erie and clean your own fish, an electric knife is a MUST. I've been using the 120v Rapale for about five years and love it. I just couldn't imagine using a regular knife for cleaning 50...100...200 Perch. The rapala 120v gets my vote for value and quality.

Each to their own, I've used and have a elec. The downside you're running the knife threw the shit and body fluids and onto the meat.
I agree its a little faster. In the fish plants they still use a knife. Could it be healthier.

Each to their own, I've used and have a elec. The downside you're running the knife threw the shit and body fluids and onto the meat.
I agree its a little faster. In the fish plants they still use a knife. Could it be healthier.

I don't know if there's a secret to it or not but I hardly ever cut into any organs doing perch or walleye with the electric....I cut with the spine towards me but other than that, pretty much the way the video shows and the knife just seems to slide right by all the gooey parts.

I don't think so
If you wash the fillets that little bit of blood and guts won't be there when you cook it
Process of cooking will kill any bacteria.
Only thing the regular fillet knife is better at in my opinion is removing the skin
And if you want to spend hours filleting 100 fish you might get a few grams more of the meat off
But I know @Wave Runner will argue that once you master the electric knife it is better at getting all the meat off

Agree with @Derkd9 I do not know what I would do without the Rapala. I did 110 fish in just over an hour and a half without help.
The number of guys I've demonstrated that knife to, Rapala should be giving me a couple for my efforts.
Worked great on the smallmouth as well, although I will agree the blade is a bit small for anything bigger then perch. I also agree about over-heating, the cordless one even gets pretty hot. 5 years I think I might be hunting down that yellow one on the prior post at bass pro or maybe even a quick stop in Woodstock this weekend.

Agree with @Derkd9 I do not know what I would do without the Rapala. I did 110 fish in just over an hour and a half without help.
The number of guys I've demonstrated that knife to, Rapala should be giving me a couple for my efforts.
Worked great on the smallmouth as well, although I will agree the blade is a bit small for anything bigger then perch. I also agree about over-heating, the cordless one even gets pretty hot. 5 years I think I might be hunting down that yellow one on the prior post at bass pro or maybe even a quick stop in Woodstock this weekend.

I bought a bigger blade for heavy duty Rapala
Use the small one with perch and the bigger one with bigger fish

If I (the wife) could handle the smell afterwards I would do it inside!
I usually set a plastic table up out back
I don't usually have a ton of water around.
There is a bucket of water that I have close by for any rinsing but it would take a pretty careless act to stick all the electrical parts from the knife into the bucket while still holding onto said knife lol
I need to construct fish cleaning station in my side yard or something put a 15,000 BTU a/c in it or something like that lol

Hey @Derkd9 not much smell at all... I set the cooler up on the table to my left and put newspaper down on the table... take cold fish from cooler and place on a large plastic cutting board to fillet... put fillets in a large plastic bowl and take carcass with skin attached and place in a bucket with plastic kitchen bag that's sitting between my legs... when done filleting I wrap up newspaper and place in the bucket as well... give the table a wipe with soap and water with some bleach in it and leaves no smell at all. ;)

Have been doing it that way seems like forever and get no complaints from my wife at all and she's a clean freak. :D

Hey @Derkd9 not much smell at all... I set the cooler up on the table to my left and put newspaper down on the table... take cold fish from cooler and place on a large plastic cutting board to fillet... put fillets in a large plastic bowl and take carcass with skin attached and place in a bucket with plastic kitchen bag that's sitting between my legs... when done filleting I wrap up newspaper and place in the bucket as well... give the table a wipe with soap and water with some bleach in it and leaves no smell at all. ;)

Have been doing it that way seems like forever and get no complaints from my wife at all and she's a clean freak. :D

I'll give it a try! I'll just watch my back as I bring them inside :whistle:

I pay the 5 bucks and leave the guts at the marina. Nice clean water there to wash with. Cooler and ice blocks are all clean when I get home.

I pay 3 bucks a pound clean. Now all I have to do is find a pound of Perch somewhere in this freshwater ocean!!!!!! Based on what I eventually pay for a pound of fish all in an extra 3 bucks a pound is nothing. I am happy to clean my own Pics , Trout or Salmon. Not much to clean this year, I need to go back to fishing school me thinks.

I pay 3 bucks a pound clean. Now all I have to do is find a pound of Perch somewhere in this freshwater ocean!!!!!! Based on what I eventually pay for a pound of fish all in an extra 3 bucks a pound is nothing. I am happy to clean my own Pics , Trout or Salmon. Not much to clean this year, I need to go back to fishing school me thinks.
let me know when school starts will ya----one yellow off a pier so far and I gave THAT one away:D:p:ROFLMAO:

let me know when school starts will ya----one yellow off a pier so far and I gave THAT one away:D:p:ROFLMAO:

Those minnows this year cost more than the 1 perch I bet. Where are the perch. Heading out in the morning with my wife, she'll find them.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks