Burwell Thursday

meridian

Two guys ,Two scoops of minows, fished off the silver barn, 40 ftw.
7am till we ran out of minnows at 11am, 66perch 9lb of perch after three hours of filleting.
Perfect day on the lake .

Good fishing guys. Hey @meridian just wondering if you use an electric filleting knife? Why I ask is because I can fillet 80 perch in an 1 1/2 hours (that's taking the ribs out myself) and not have a bone left in them using the electric. I started using them years ago and never looked back, incredible difference. I bucked the notion for years before I gave in and tried one. After I kicked myself for being so stubborn about staying with my trusted hand filleting knife. For walleye I use the bigger Mr. Twister Piranha that makes even 10 pounders child's play.

Just trying to save you time and once you get the knack it will produce the best fillets with the least waste. @Way She Goes just beat me to the punch before I could click, but then again I'm older. :)

A couple of photos showing electric filleting results.

Walleye
IMG_0743.JPG

Perch
IMG_1008.JPG

Last edited:
Ok guys I have heard about the electric knives before .... Can you briefly explain how you are filletting with them as I have never seen it done.
Thanks guys
Jeff

Cut down to back bone behind the gill turn and run to the tail along back bone I cut them threw and hold them with punchers to run the blade under the skin like 30 seconds per fish I always work with the back to me 2 guys 1 with the electric and one with sharp knife taking out ribs less then a hr to do 100

I agree with the electric knives
They make cleaning fish easier !
We were out Thursday as well , 3 of us (2 rookies)
Caught well over 150 but kept only 90
I cleaned all 90 myself in 1 hour

Good fishing guys. Hey @meridian just wondering if you use an electric filleting knife? Why I ask is because I can fillet 80 perch in an 1 1/2 hours (that's taking the ribs out myself) and not have a bone left in them using the electric. I started using them years ago and never looked back, incredible difference. I bucked the notion for years before I gave in and tried one. After I kicked myself for being so stubborn about staying with my trusted hand filleting knife. For walleye I use the bigger Mr. Twister Piranha that makes even 10 pounders child's play.

Just trying to save you time and once you get the knack it will produce the best fillets with the least waste. @Way She Goes just beat me to the punch before I could click, but then again I'm older. :)

Walleye
View attachment 3496

Perch
View attachment 3497
awww there you go showing off again:p:D:ROFLMAO:

I was out thur great day went to hastings came in with 80 that's more than enough fish for one day I have one question I can never pick out the silver barn on shore is it silver

I've never figured that one either, every barn I look at seems to be silver. :rolleyes:

Well boys and girls the old silver barn was up last year but this year all but one end of it has slid down toward the lake and the visible end you can see when your on your way in from Hastings. Between Sandhills and Burwell

Hi guys any recommendations on electric knives as what brand to buy and price estimate or any brand to stay AWAY FROM ETC.Thanks.

I have had a number of them and here's my observations:

• The Rapala cordless was pretty decent but the batteries didn't last very long. This was an older model, maybe the new ones are better.
  • The 120V Rapala is a good knife and runs quite fast. I have beat mine up bad for about 5 years and it's still going strong
  • I have a 120V Berkley which is also decent but runs much slower than the Rapala. It isn't as good for hogging the fillets off big fish but it is actually nicer for skinning, ribbing, & doing smaller fish like perch.
I was actually looking at the new Rapala cordless and it looked decent. I will anxiously await some feedback on here before I pull the trigger.

Hi guys any recommendations on electric knives as what brand to buy and price estimate or any brand to stay AWAY FROM ETC.Thanks.

I had a Rapala 110 volt plug-in that burnt out not lasting the season. I now have a Rapala Deluxe cordless which is just OK for smaller perch but like all cordless does not have the power for big fish and overheats easily when doing large batches of perch. I use a 110 volt Mr. Twister Saltwater Piranha with a 9 inch blade for pickerel, salmon and trout and use the smaller blade when doing large batches of perch. It is a brute that has the power to make child's play of the big guys so I highly recommend it for big fish.

If doing lots of fish each year the best by far for perch or smaller pickerel is the #1 rated American Angler Pro (definitely my next knife) but also carries the highest price tag. My second choice would be the heavy duty Rapala which has 2x the torque of the regular model. Both are 110 volt and built to last. I would not buy another cordless model because they lack power in my opinion and precisely why they heat up when heavily worked.

American Angler 32350 Pro Electric Fillet Knife
21cptWSHfQL.jpg

Rapala Heavy Duty Electric Fillet Knife
_7pM9o2xfAfGYol-69fc06dv5i_g40bHpTbQYkwErLayu_4eKWnmZrsXKiKf2lna3g2q_WeBfIjOUnTiaZPXvkpy4Nl8oq0NrapZPrESA7Jhv7agpk9FP3ITVPzAh6k=s0-d-e1-ft

Walleye
View attachment 3496

Perch
View attachment 3497
Nice job.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks