Fishing Report Burwell July 25 AM.

fireram

Left home at 5:30, Lines in at 8 at 55 FOW South East of port.
LOTs and lots of smalls, some very small, until 60 FOW, so thats where we stayed most of the morning.
Circled a white pole with red flag marking something out there near 62 FOW, along with a couple other boats.
Thats also where we hooked up with the trout, which by the way, had a belly full of eggs?
Heard reports on the radio that 58 FOW was also producing well,,

Dipsy's down 30 - 45 feet..
One rod, out fished the rest at least 5-1... A Dipsy on a 1 setting, at 88 feet back, with a Pink/Purple/Black spoon.
The one on the bottom of the picture of three, the middle one also did very well.
Lots of checking the rods for surfers, If something looked off, checked and sure enough there be a little guy on there,,
Kept a few smaller than normally would due to badly hooked, but overall some decent fish,,
IMG_8222.jpegIMG_8227.jpeg
Wanted to try some jigging out there but ran into engine issues, so packed it in at Noon...
Wife has never caught so many fish in one day, her arms are done...

I thought so too. I didn’t give it a good look till I got home. But the inside of the mouth was not black. View attachment 77204
@fireram would you mind posting a 👆photo of the tail of that fish above that you had caught,to see if it’s a rainbow or a salmon. For I had caught a rainbow,( spots throughout the tail ),back in July,2019 off Port Bruce,and it was spitting out eggs that day. Thanks in advance 👍🙂

Attachments

• IMG_3419.jpeg
    IMG_3419.jpeg
    693.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3426.jpeg
    IMG_3426.jpeg
    255.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3423.jpeg
    IMG_3423.jpeg
    573.7 KB · Views: 60
We were out as well in the same area, walleye bite was slow but steady. Lots of small stuff went back but still came home with 8 in the 2 - 3 lb. range. We were in 59-60 fow all fish came on Wackm's BB Muffin and Emerald spoons. Nothing on RR fin's, should have tried a worm harness, heard on the dock they have been producing. Very soft bite, several 2+ lb. fish didn't trip the dipsy even after I adjusted it.

@fireram would you mind posting a 👆photo of the tail of that fish above that you had caught,to see if it’s a rainbow or a salmon. For I had caught a rainbow,( spots throughout the tail ),back in July,2019 off Port Bruce,and it was spitting out eggs that day. Thanks in advance 👍🙂
Unfortunately the photo is very washed out in the sunlight, and I took the pic after scraping the scales off. I do remember seeing spots on the whole tale, and you can just make them out in the picture.
Spots on full tail, white inside mouth = Rainbow
Spots just on top of tail, Black inside mouth = Coho

But I could see the debate,, Im not convinced its either, and thankfully it dose not matter as far as the regs go.
Sorry fellers, will make sure I take better pics of the mouth and tail next time, this seams to be an on going debate on this forum..

IMG_8227 (1).jpeg

Coho`s have black lower gums and black tongue .
Chinook have the black gums , white tongue and oversized looking tails .
I`ve always been blown away by these Rainbows on steroids with these big tails on the cam . Now I see they`re not bows .
These are the ones that peel your line out real fast and don`t stop unless you`re lucky .

Attachments

• Rainbow Tail.jpg
    Rainbow Tail.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 44
  • Coho Black Gums and Tongue.jpg
    Coho Black Gums and Tongue.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Chinook Tail.jpg
    Chinook Tail.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Chinook.jpg
    Chinook.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Pair of Chinooks.jpg
    Pair of Chinooks.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 46
Unfortunately the photo is very washed out in the sunlight, and I took the pic after scraping the scales off. I do remember seeing spots on the whole tale, and you can just make them out in the picture.
Spots on full tail, white inside mouth = Rainbow
Spots just on top of tail, Black inside mouth = Coho

But I could see the debate,, Im not convinced its either, and thankfully it dose not matter as far as the regs go.
Sorry fellers, will make sure I take better pics of the mouth and tail next time, this seams to be an on going debate on this forum..

View attachment 77236
An ongoing debate on this forum for sure @fireram . Thanks for your reply back & for your time as well. 👊👊👍🙂

Last edited:
100% coho, the first pic is clear enough to see that. Full of roe for this falls spawn run.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks