Fishing Report Burwell July 10, 2023

Way She Goes

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Well what a day we had yesterday. Started out in 57 trolled out to 60 where we finally got into some fish dipsies with pink panties settings at 3 85 ft and one setting at 67 ended up getting three fish and three and a half pounds of meat. And then the motor started whining and I had no forward or reverse gear. At 8.2 MI out from Burwell tried to get cell phone help. Cell phone don't work very good out there boys glad I had a VHF. Had the coast guard put out a notice that I needed a tow in and the radio went dead nobody. Before this though I had one fella out of for Bruce by the name of Cloud 9 that responded and said he'd come and get me if I couldn't find somebody thanks to you sir. Ended up getting a tow from somebody at the big Otter Marina took us two and a half hours to get in at 5 miles an hour but we're home safe that's the main thing. On our way home stopped at Jones Marine and he was kind enough to have a look at it for me cuz I do get all my work there. Took the leg off and the whining quit so we think it's in the bottom end so bring out another thousand. Lol

Well what a day we had yesterday. Started out in 57 trolled out to 60 where we finally got into some fish dipsies with pink panties settings at 3 85 ft and one setting at 67 ended up getting three fish and three and a half pounds of meat. And then the motor started whining and I had no forward or reverse gear. At 8.2 MI out from Burwell tried to get cell phone help. Cell phone don't work very good out there boys glad I had a VHF. Had the coast guard put out a notice that I needed a tow in and the radio went dead nobody. Before this though I had one fella out of for Bruce by the name of Cloud 9 that responded and said he'd come and get me if I couldn't find somebody thanks to you sir. Ended up getting a tow from somebody at the big Otter Marina took us two and a half hours to get in at 5 miles an hour but we're home safe that's the main thing. On our way home stopped at Jones Marine and he was kind enough to have a look at it for me cuz I do get all my work there. Took the leg off and the whining quit so we think it's in the bottom end so bring out another thousand. Lol
That sucks
I was listening when your call went out..thought I recognized the name…
we were out in Port Stanley. Glad to hear you got in safe 👍

Good thing you have a VHF radio. I had a similar situation on LO and had to use the VHF to call the Coast Guard for a tow. At least it was a beautiful day and I wasn't concerned about the weather conditions. Everyone fishing on these large lakes should carry a VHF, it's well worth the price and can save your life because you can't rely on cell service.

Way She Goes, I went through the same issue thankfully, however, it was at the shop during a pre-season maint. Noticed excessive heat in the motor during warm up. Coupler let go. 1 "G" note later, all good. Thank the higher powers you came home safe!!! As for the individual who came out to bring you home safe, a huge thank you from the sports angling community!!!
Again, W.S.G., glad you made it home safe brother.

Good thing you have a VHF radio. I had a similar situation on LO and had to use the VHF to call the Coast Guard for a tow. At least it was a beautiful day and I wasn't concerned about the weather conditions. Everyone fishing on these large lakes should carry a VHF, it's well worth the price and can save your life because you can't rely on cell service.
a VHF for sure @Tacklebuster 👍 or even a kicker outboard motor as well,if anyone has ( over a $1,000 to buy a kicker 😉 ),and also the space on the transom of their boat,to mount a kicker outboard motor. I had gotten stranded last year around 15 kilometres offshore,when my main outboard motor caused me problems,( photo with a thumb down 👎 ). My kicker outboard motor got me back to port on that day. 👍🙂 Glad to read @Way She Goes that you made it back safely,with the help from someone at the Big Otter Marina. 👍👍🙂

Attachments

• IMG_4288.jpeg
    IMG_4288.jpeg
    241.6 KB · Views: 15
I strongly believe you should have both a kicker as well as a VHF radio on your boat if you venture out on the Great Lakes. I also believe that there are quite a few so called fisherman/boaters who have no idea of the boating laws. This was proved to me last year when a dozen or so boats just flew by me while I was waving my arms in a distress manner and calling for help on the VHF radio. At last Rick came to my aid and towed me in. The next day I went out and bought a kicker for the Legend.

Attachments

• port rigger.jpg
    port rigger.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I strongly believe you should have both a kicker as well as a VHF radio on your boat if you venture out on the Great Lakes. I also believe that there are quite a few so called fisherman/boaters who have no idea of the coating laws. This was proved to me last year when a dozen or so boats just flew by me while I was waving my arms in a distress manner and calling for help on the VHF radio. At last Rick came to my aid and towed me in. The next day I went out and bought a kicker for the Legend.
I remember that post from you last year @scrimmy and glad that eventually all went well for you from another boater,( Rick ),who had gotten you back to shore. A kicker outboard motor is definitely a “ peace of mind,” and well worth the investment! 🚤🎣🐟👍🙂

Attachments

• IMG_0121.jpeg
    IMG_0121.jpeg
    251.9 KB · Views: 9
Way She Goes and Scrimmy. I feel your pain. Had it happen to me out in Glasgow 5 miles out. Splines on hub all sheared off and left me with no propulsion. North east wind was bringing me 3 to 4 foot waves. Put my Terrova 80 electric down and started making my way towards shore, Ran out of juice on the two 31 class batteries 1 mile from port. Had a couple rogue waves come overboard and turn the gents faces white and the butterflies loose in their stomachs. Luckily we flagged down another angler and got towed into port. From that day on I said never again. Got rid of the inboard /outboard and went with the Legend 18 with a 90 on the back. Also put a 9.9 kicker on as well. The electric in the front will steer us and the flares and radio are there just in case. Too many sad stories on Lake Erie in the last couple of years. Heres to all of ya being safe this year.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks