Budget friendly fish... 👀

Budget friendly, maybe @jammer . But what about tastebud friendly?

Korean Drama Food GIF by The Swoon

Heh, never seen that before.

I've eaten them before. I read that from cool clear water they are pretty good. Caught a pile from bluffs in May and brought a few home. Was almost like eating perch. The problem is there's so little meat on em it was barely worth it.

I think the problem is I tested it out when there was a perch platter next to it
Yep, I made the same mistake a couple years back. Kept a white perch, and a silver bass just to try'em, and cooked'em up the same time I did a bunch of yellow perch. Knew the difference right away and it ruined the yellow perch meal that night. NEVER again.

Tried them once and never again unless I was starving 🙃. Old guy told me soak in water overnight would help but ill still pass

It's all in how you cook it. I've eaten amazing corse fish in countries where that's all they have. You don't cook sirloin and brisket the same, but if you know how to cook each one properly......

It's all in how you cook it. I've eaten amazing corse fish in countries where that's all they have. You don't cook sirloin and brisket the same, but if you know how to cook each one properly......
I was a professionally trained chef and did it for a living for 12 years of the 15 I worked in restaurants. I know how to cook...and I STILL didn't like'em. Like catfish, muskox, caribou as examples, as well as many other things we eat throughout our lives, they're an acquired taste. There are a lot of things that I know how to cook that I personally won't eat, but I will cook it for others. ;).

Last edited:
Silver bass make good table fare if looked after and prepared a way suitable for the meat texture. Skinless is the only way I have cooked them.But then I like eating pike also. My wife enjoys the pike more than eyes when cooked the same way.

I was a professionally trained chef and did it for a living for 12 years of the 15 I worked in restaurants. I know how to cook...and I STILL didn't like'em. Like catfish, muskox, caribou as examples, as well as many other things we eat throughout our lives, they're an acquired taste. There are a lot of things that I know how to cook that I personally won't eat, but I will cook it for others. ;).
Not to in anyway detract from your skills @Trevor M - I have seen your recipes and some of your meals. Damn fine. I suspect the training you received was reflective of the clients you would be serving, and their tastes. I was in China a few times, as well S working in Hong Kong on asssigment more than once. When i was in China, i visited places where as a 6 foot blond I was such a rare sight that literally people would stop and ask if they could have their picture taken with me because of it. They don't get beef, walleye or our seasonings there. Most meat, including fish has been harvested to the point of extinction, except for things like Carp (hence in part why we have an issue with Asian Carp here - its a mainstay food there, even a delicacy) and I suspect that Carp never showed up on your table? I took an all day cooking lesson in China one day and made several meals including one with a corse fish, not sure which. I ate the same meal in a restaurant and the fish in that meal was a carp. Believe it or not, it was delicious. Preparing it shared almost nothing in common with how I would prepare fish here, except I used a knife. So when I say it depends on how you cook it, I'm talking on a much bigger basis than whether you batter it or steam it. I'll have to see if my wife squirrelled the recipe away somewhere

Not to in anyway detract from your skills @Trevor M - I have seen your recipes and some of your meals. Damn fine. I suspect the training you received was reflective of the clients you would be serving, and their tastes. I was in China a few times, as well S working in Hong Kong on asssigment more than once. When i was in China, i visited places where as a 6 foot blond I was such a rare sight that literally people would stop and ask if they could have their picture taken with me because of it. They don't get beef, walleye or our seasonings there. Most meat, including fish has been harvested to the point of extinction, except for things like Carp (hence in part why we have an issue with Asian Carp here - its a mainstay food there, even a delicacy) and I suspect that Carp never showed up on your table? I took an all day cooking lesson in China one day and made several meals including one with a corse fish, not sure which. I ate the same meal in a restaurant and the fish in that meal was a carp. Believe it or not, it was delicious. Preparing it shared almost nothing in common with how I would prepare fish here, except I used a knife. So when I say it depends on how you cook it, I'm talking on a much bigger basis than whether you batter it or steam it. I'll have to see if my wife squirrelled the recipe away somewhere
No offense was taken. The bigger point was I know how to cook, but there's a lot stuff I know how to cook that I won't eat. My menus now at home are more akin to those I'm feeding than they were when I worked as a chef. Depending on where I was working, the menu reflected what the owners of that restaurant wanted. Some places had more "exotic" menu's, ie the one place in Yellowknife had Muskox, Arctic Char, Caribou and more of the game meats you'd be apt to find in the NWT. While others were more like most any restaurant you'd go to here.

Today tho, the only menu I worry about is the one at home. I know who I'm feeding, so I don't get anywhere near as "fancy" as I could. No point if the people I'm feeding won't eat it. ;)

I apprenticed under a Chinese Chef for 3 of my 12 years in industry. In addition to teaching me how to cook what most of us see on menu's here, the "Canadian" and "American" items, that in actuality, most cuisine commonly found on menus in most restaurants, and what we eat here when we go to those restaurants, is French based. He also taught me how to use the woks and cook what we commonly refer to as "Chinese Food" here. Trust me when I say, what we call "Chinese Food" here, is not. It's been adapted to a more "North American" style because most people here won't eat "authentic" Chinese dishes, and I can attest to that, because he also taught me how to cook several of those "authentic" Chinese dishes and you're absolutely correct. How it's prepared and cooked is completely different than how you might expect here at home and while I know how to cook it, and I did try it as part of my training, when given the choice, ain't no way you're gonna get me to eat it ;):ROFLMAO:

I will steer clear of the silver bass just like I would the "finless brown" that frequent the Kettle Creek just south of the terd farm Trevor. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: 🤣

I will steer clear of the silver bass just like I would the "finless brown" that frequent the Kettle Creek just south of the terd farm Trevor. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: 🤣
Me too. I have a neighbor who likes both the silver bass and the white perch so next year if/when I catch any, I'll keep them to give to that neighbor.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks