Budget friendly fish... 👀

No offense was taken. The bigger point was I know how to cook, but there's a lot stuff I know how to cook that I won't eat. My menus now at home are more akin to those I'm feeding than they were when I worked as a chef. Depending on where I was working, the menu reflected what the owners of that restaurant wanted. Some places had more "exotic" menu's, ie the one place in Yellowknife had Muskox, Arctic Char, Caribou and more of the game meats you'd be apt to find in the NWT. While others were more like most any restaurant you'd go to here.

Today tho, the only menu I worry about is the one at home. I know who I'm feeding, so I don't get anywhere near as "fancy" as I could. No point if the people I'm feeding won't eat it. ;)

I apprenticed under a Chinese Chef for 3 of my 12 years in industry. In addition to teaching me how to cook what most of us see on menu's here, the "Canadian" and "American" items, that in actuality, most cuisine commonly found on menus in most restaurants, and what we eat here when we go to those restaurants, is French based. He also taught me how to use the woks and cook what we commonly refer to as "Chinese Food" here. Trust me when I say, what we call "Chinese Food" here, is not. It's been adapted to a more "North American" style because most people here won't eat "authentic" Chinese dishes, and I can attest to that, because he also taught me how to cook several of those "authentic" Chinese dishes and you're absolutely correct. How it's prepared and cooked is completely different than how you might expect here at home and while I know how to cook it, and I did try it as part of my training, when given the choice, ain't no way you're gonna get me to eat it ;):ROFLMAO:
Excellent post Trevor
Ive also formally trained a bit, and have over the last 45 years explored the realm of wild game preparation..from the field and water Ive tried most. Most anything if prepared properly can be a delicious offering, but it doesn't mean it will be on my plate. Ive become selective in my harvesting of wild game...reflective I suppose of the amazing selection of offerings we have living here in Ontario...but everyone has their favs. If white bass is on your menu...enjoy!!!!!

I’m not formally trained in anything.

I’m Not eating trash just saying. I put white perch and bass in that category personally.

I hear the arguments culturally however I digress.

Regards

For what this is worth. I don't typically keep silvers or white perch now. I will say, that as a kid I ate a lot of them. The old neighbor, "Papa John" was his handle; would only cook what they would eat that night. Caught, put on ice, filleted, all brown under skin and mudline cut out. Baked with a spicy Italian blend. All I recall from being 12 years old was, don't freeze them or they are mush. In any case, they were not bad at all. I've also tried some smoked carp, that was pretty damn good. Lake Erie caught. I think this shows that prep technique speaks volumes. And the cook as is important as the fisherman!

Too many other superb fish available locally to keep these. From walleye/pickerel to perch to crappie to brook trout . Guess if a guy was starving !!!! To all the guys keeping them ,I think its great, keep up the good work and glad you found a taste for these

Use to get coolers full back in the day in the warm water off the coal plant…..good fresh…but crappy when froze. Seems like ages ago…..oh wait….. it was ages ago…lol

Those where some good times! And all the smallmouths you could catch in afternoon at the start of bass season. A quarter of a dew worm at a time. Some serious cases of bass thumb lol.

Excellent post Trevor
Ive also formally trained a bit, and have over the last 45 years explored the realm of wild game preparation..from the field and water Ive tried most. Most anything if prepared properly can be a delicious offering, but it doesn't mean it will be on my plate. Ive become selective in my harvesting of wild game...reflective I suppose of the amazing selection of offerings we have living here in Ontario...but everyone has their favs. If white bass is on your menu...enjoy!!!!!
It's not on my menu, but as I said, I have a neighbor who specifically asked me to bring any I might catch to her, so earlier this season I did take her some, and I will do so again next year if I catch any but I won't be eating it.

The Neighbour caught a Silver today, first one of 2022 and he commented on how warm it was in his hands.

If I had known @Trevor M , could have provided a "warmup" meal as this one was already partially cooked. 🌻

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks