Buck Fever needed

mick

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Ya I thought I would share were i am at with my fishin and huntin...I have lost the excitment of the thrill of the hunt.. and fish...i don't have the urge and desire anymore to chase the fish and game like i used too..I don't know what its going to take to regain the excitement...I have done a life time of fun...traveled thru over 30 countries...chasin women...down south billfishin numerous times...lots of big game hunts out of province for moose ..and bear too..i am still single at 57 and stayin that way for sure...i need something ultimate...ya i am a snow bird too..and thats comin up again...i don't book my flight until i get a spark on where i am headin tropical on the ocean this winter ...sure wish i could re live some of my buck fever that i use to have..you younger guys pack in the fun on your bucket list while you can..i am glad i did...

57 ah mick, pup? go for a walk real early tomorrow morn, rain or shine, watch our fall season change, smell the fall harvest, think of your first deer hunt, it all comes back, that's why we hunt. cheers

Wow dude ! Throwing in the towel already ? I do both also and hunt with guys 20 years plus or minus me at age 56 ( in under 2 months ) . Can't say I'm as worldly as you but I guess that's why I think and wait all year for the one week of the shotgun hunt , the opening day for bass season , the first day of snow that I have time to go bunny hunting with my dog , the taste of freshly caught pics or perch etc . Even If you don't see , catch or shoot anything , it's a time to unwind from life . A time spent with or without family and friends . I may not get out as much anymore for health reasons or just a lack of effort , but once that weather starts changing and I know the time is close , my mind drifts back to days gone by and the chase is on again regardless of aches and pains (most of the time ) . Probably helps when I got 2 , 20 something pups egging me on . But if you don't change your mind soon Mick , maybe you should sell me some of your guns or at least a Rem. 20 . Oh . P.S Thinking of giving a go at a pheasant farm this year just for shits and giggles if I can get it organized (Budget Thrills ). If not there's always the yotes .

thanks Can't miss..I go for a long walk in the am a few times a week...I might need to get my grizzly 700 out of the garage and take it for a run... that seems to put some wind in my sails...we need a temperature drop...a heavy frost seems a long ways to go yet...I was considerin go catch some browns in the creek at the end of the month..I usually do that once before trout season closes..do you go out for puff balls and wild apples can't miss...i use to..

No magnum I am not packin it in...I guess I am just bored...fishin was good this season...but not to exciting...even hookin 14 rainbows out by myself one day...that was my wow day...I have ate numerous plates of pickeral.. very delicious.. I fried most of mine straight up in butter with a pinch of salt...catchin over my share of dead weight walleye this season sure was not very sporty...no head shakes...very lazy fish this season..but i am thankful for the good numbers..

Ya a pheasant hunt..I looked at the peele hunts years ago but never went...now thats something fun to think about doin...I shot a few wild birds years ago...grouse use to be plentiful too...them coyotes sure have had a negative impact on our wild life
Hey Magnum I have been window shopping alot for a 20 guage ...now I am highly considerin a semi...yep...I want to buy a 20 guage semi...I like huntin small game like ducks and bunnys..can you suggest a high end semi?...price is not an issue...

Anyway my post was really not necessary...I guess I was venting how bored I am with no excitment...I was lookin at a guided elk hunt (rifle) in Alberta
during the rut...I think that would be exciting.......I looked at mountain lion hunting with dogs but that did not look like alot of fun shooting the cat out of the tree...lol...you guys hunt with dogs and I think thats a fun way to hunt...the deer hunt with dogs was really fun...if I didn't go south I would be huntin coyotes...I shoot a .270 WSM for big game and apperently you can use a .270 here in the south...

Mick--I've been in the same space a few times over the last 10 years. I got so bored with fishing Erie and so sick of walleye I sold the boat...luckily I kept all the gear cause I got back into it a few years ago. Saying that, I've only been out a few times this year...lazy, bad weather, other stuff to do...not the drive I had in the 90's with fishing. I still love the lake, and once I'm out, its good.
Hunting...I love bowhunting, in tree stands, watching the world go by, watching the deer every time I'm out vs hurrying a kill...so I still get a bit charge from that. I'm headed up moose hunting after a n 8 year hiatus, looking forward to shooting some birds, hopefully seeing some moose. Blackpowder in Dec is our regular camp, and being with friends, eating well, sleeping well..its fun. One shot hunting is my fav...an extension of bowhunting.
The older I get, the tougher it is to drag my but out of bed at 3am, but once I'm up, I'm good. I guess the NEED to fill a tag or fill a cooler or shoot a limit doesn't drive the hunting and fishing anymore. I'm just happy I CAN still get out and enjoy things.

absoulutely and well said DaveJ..."not the drive it use to be" I am happy you mentioned that..I thought I was going thru some type of depression of old age that I heard...but thats not the case...Hey I got a new spine and a new knee with a good nest egg of cash...so I should be happy right on being able to get out and fish and hunt? Well Anyway... I will find something to hopefully cheer me up...

so I have the boat packed and headin out fishin this afternoon for the evening bite...fresh air therapy on the lake should help...lol
thanks for the replies

There is a good theory called the 5 Stages of a Hunter...but I think it applies to a lot of outdoor sports...

Shooter Stage

Hunters at this stage simply want to do a lot of shooting, be it doves, ducks, squirrels, rabbits or even deer (in which case shooting opportunities are acceptable too). They want to test their shooting abilities, as well as that of their rifle or shotgun. These hunters are beginners and are often young as well.

Limiting-Out Stage

Eventually, simply burning through a lot of ammunition is no longer sufficient. Hunters at this stage still gain a lot of satisfaction from shooting, but now the number of birds or animals bagged becomes important too, and limiting-out, or filling a tag, is the gold standard.

Trophy Stage

Eventually the weight of the game bag becomes less important and the emphasis shifts from quantity to quality. Hunters at this stage gain satisfaction from being selective in taking game, such as a duck hunter who shoots only greenheads, a turkey hunter who only shoots long beards, or a deer hunter who takes only mature bucks. These hunters often travel long distances to hunt trophy animals.

Method Stage

For this hunter, taking game is still important, but more important is how that game is taken. True satisfaction comes from the method used to take game, with particular emphasis on more challenging methods such as archery or muzzleloading. This hunter will spend a lot of time scouting and using trail cameras, studying their quarry and practicing hunting skills such as calling and, in the case of a deer hunter, may even choose to target one specific animal.

Sportsman Stage

After many years in the field, the hunter begins to place the emphasis on the total hunting experience. Being in the outdoors, enjoying the company of friends and family, and seeing nature in all its beauty, now outweigh the need for taking game. These hunters often turn to mentoring other younger hunters for ultimate satisfaction.

I love hunting, and the actual moment of pulling the trigger or letting an arrow fly, or having a rod yanked out of your hand by a hard hit, or a rod popping off in a downrigger and the reel screaming....I still get a massive rush. I've always said the day I don't have my heart in my throat when I shoot a deer is the last time I shoot one. I think its easy to attribute boredom as the reason why we aren't biting at the bit to get to the deer stand or brave 4' swells to get on the fish. For me its more that I've had the experiences of harvesting game, and the actual kill just isn't AS IMPORTANT as it once was. I'm in the woods and on the water because its where I like to be. I'm really unconcerned if I come home empty handed. Just being able to be out there is my reward....

...except a cooler of perch or a fat deer in the shop makes the work pretty OK also....

There is a good theory called the 5 Stages of a Hunter...but I think it applies to a lot of outdoor sports...

Shooter Stage

Hunters at this stage simply want to do a lot of shooting, be it doves, ducks, squirrels, rabbits or even deer (in which case shooting opportunities are acceptable too). They want to test their shooting abilities, as well as that of their rifle or shotgun. These hunters are beginners and are often young as well.

Limiting-Out Stage

Eventually, simply burning through a lot of ammunition is no longer sufficient. Hunters at this stage still gain a lot of satisfaction from shooting, but now the number of birds or animals bagged becomes important too, and limiting-out, or filling a tag, is the gold standard.

Trophy Stage

Eventually the weight of the game bag becomes less important and the emphasis shifts from quantity to quality. Hunters at this stage gain satisfaction from being selective in taking game, such as a duck hunter who shoots only greenheads, a turkey hunter who only shoots long beards, or a deer hunter who takes only mature bucks. These hunters often travel long distances to hunt trophy animals.

Method Stage

For this hunter, taking game is still important, but more important is how that game is taken. True satisfaction comes from the method used to take game, with particular emphasis on more challenging methods such as archery or muzzleloading. This hunter will spend a lot of time scouting and using trail cameras, studying their quarry and practicing hunting skills such as calling and, in the case of a deer hunter, may even choose to target one specific animal.

Sportsman Stage

After many years in the field, the hunter begins to place the emphasis on the total hunting experience. Being in the outdoors, enjoying the company of friends and family, and seeing nature in all its beauty, now outweigh the need for taking game. These hunters often turn to mentoring other younger hunters for ultimate satisfaction.

I love hunting, and the actual moment of pulling the trigger or letting an arrow fly, or having a rod yanked out of your hand by a hard hit, or a rod popping off in a downrigger and the reel screaming....I still get a massive rush. I've always said the day I don't have my heart in my throat when I shoot a deer is the last time I shoot one. I think its easy to attribute boredom as the reason why we aren't biting at the bit to get to the deer stand or brave 4' swells to get on the fish. For me its more that I've had the experiences of harvesting game, and the actual kill just isn't AS IMPORTANT as it once was. I'm in the woods and on the water because its where I like to be. I'm really unconcerned if I come home empty handed. Just being able to be out there is my reward....

...except a cooler of perch or a fat deer in the shop makes the work pretty OK also....

I don't think you could have expressed my thoughts any better.....

Well said!

herefishyfishy

Hey Dave J...I definately can relate to your words of experience being on the water and out in the bush...there is no other place I would rather be...

I have to say headin out on the ocean billfishin is still my ultimate thrill for top water action...

and yes I still get a rush looking thru my scope and squeezing the trigger on the big game...

I always seem to be in the kick it up a notch phase...but not so much bigger and better...

To try and get my excitment and satisfaction ...I leave home and have to go on trips to hunt camp...headin south every winter saltwater fishin is what I throughly enjoy...I have been doin it for many years...there is nothin better...my parents living in Florida got me started and then moving more tropical south to the big blue water fishin...I am now on my 5th passport and I bought the ten year to keep me goin...lol

Last edited:
thanks Can't miss..I go for a long walk in the am a few times a week...I might need to get my grizzly 700 out of the garage and take it for a run... that seems to put some wind in my sails...we need a temperature drop...a heavy frost seems a long ways to go yet...I was considerin go catch some browns in the creek at the end of the month..I usually do that once before trout season closes..do you go out for puff balls and wild apples can't miss...i use to..

No magnum I am not packin it in...I guess I am just bored...fishin was good this season...but not to exciting...even hookin 14 rainbows out by myself one day...that was my wow day...I have ate numerous plates of pickeral.. very delicious.. I fried most of mine straight up in butter with a pinch of salt...catchin over my share of dead weight walleye this season sure was not very sporty...no head shakes...very lazy fish this season..but i am thankful for the good numbers..

Ya a pheasant hunt..I looked at the peele hunts years ago but never went...now thats something fun to think about doin...I shot a few wild birds years ago...grouse use to be plentiful too...them coyotes sure have had a negative impact on our wild life
Hey Magnum I have been window shopping alot for a 20 guage ...now I am highly considerin a semi...yep...I want to buy a 20 guage semi...I like huntin small game like ducks and bunnys..can you suggest a high end semi?...price is not an issue...

Anyway my post was really not necessary...I guess I was venting how bored I am with no excitment...I was lookin at a guided elk hunt (rifle) in Alberta
during the rut...I think that would be exciting.......I looked at mountain lion hunting with dogs but that did not look like alot of fun shooting the cat out of the tree...lol...you guys hunt with dogs and I think thats a fun way to hunt...the deer hunt with dogs was really fun...if I didn't go south I would be huntin coyotes...I shoot a .270 WSM for big game and apperently you can use a .270 here in the south...
All good Mick . As far as the semi goes , you know it's all fit and feel . Some guys don't like inertia , some don't like gas . A few more bucks and I might go back to a semi 20 myself (no real bites on the pump ad yet) . Just everything is getting too dam expensive because of the dollar B.S. and a lot of dealers I follow on sites who , in some cases are still sitting on last years stock just keep jacking prices up . Thing is they can't deny this because to order more will cost more and if you have your stock listed on the web , it is just as beneficial for a dealer to list his goods as it is for the purchaser to see what is sold " Along with pricing increases " . Hint Hint . Either way , do your homework . Oh ... and that Pelee hunt has crossed my mind also , just haven't looked into it enough yet . Thinking local for now . Can't remember the name but there's a place out by you (Aylmer way ) that lets you use their dogs free to , from what I heard .

Last edited:
Hey magnum 3, if you find out where this place is, maybe we can get enough guys together from here to do a days hunt. I know I'd be be really interested.

Mick, I think your a very lucky man to be able to travel all over and fish and hunt. That's a dream for me. Keep your chin up, fall is soon here and hunting is around the corner along with some great fishing action.

Hey magnum 3, if you find out where this place is, maybe we can get enough guys together from here to do a days hunt. I know I'd be be really interested.
Be in touch if and when I do Ingold . I assume you mean the local hunt . Pelee not in the cards this year .

Count me in for that! Always looking for new hunting experiences...it would be nice to put some faces to names on here as well

just to mention ...I have a rifle elk hunt booked with a high end outfitter for Oct 10th...So I am headin out to Alberta east of Grand Prairie..west of Edmonton..to hunt the second rut...I am driving my F150 out for a 36 hour drive to get there...I talked to greg my outfitter at Smoky River Outfitting yesterday. The rifle hunt started sat. 17th and as of yesterday they have tagged 3 bulls and just one more to go...they have had great elk hunting action this week...
I have been walkin up to 2 miles a day along catfish creek tryin to physically get ready...I am huntin the foothills and river bottoms and oil pipelines and fields adjacent to timber..The huntin methods are also mixed ...locating screaming bulls and callin them in to sitting on ambush sites and spot n stalk..sometimes on a herd...so definately different and exciting then hunting my action packed whitetail muzzleloader week here at home...I will have Gregs number one guide assisting me for my hunt. I don't need a babysitter...I have good knowedge of big game hunting and good hunting skills...but this will be my first elk hunt...

So hopefully this will help me with my ...buck fever needed

thanks fellow hunters for that good luck!...hopefully i can post a pic of my first elk when I get back...

I will say the bucks have started ground scrappin..so good luck to the archery hunters.. its comin up in a few days Oct 1.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks