Bradley or Traeger portable? Which one should go buy?

Wildfire

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
1658070462229.png vs. 1658070525270.png??

Help me out here guys. I'm looking for something easy to use, requires minimal supervision and will hopefully last a long time. I want something small only for smoking fish since I'll still be using the gas grill primarily for BBQing. Needs to be small and somewhat portable since I'd like to put it in the shed when not in use. I know the Bradley hits all the marks but I'm really not super thrilled about being locked into buying the Bradley pucks. With the Trager you can use different fuel sources right, or does it have to be Traeger pellets? Just some noob questions but are the wood pellets the only fuel or does it require charcoal or something as well? Do you have to light it with starter fluid and a lighter or something?

Or am I best considering something else? My only other requirement is no propane.

Thank you!

@Extra Virgin id like to hear more from you about the pit boss tailgate version . been looking for a smoker for awhile just dont want to have to move a bbq sized one back and forth from home to the trailer.

Last edited:
@Extra Virgin like this thing?

View attachment 60680

Will that work similar to the Traeger?

@Extra Virgin id like to hear more from you about the pit boss tailgate version . been looking for a smoker for awhile just dont want to have to move a bbw sized one back and forth from home to the trailer.
I saw that one. Looks very similar to mine, but without the side table or lower rack. Looks similar in price too. Mine retailed for $500 at Walmart and i picked it up on clearance in October for $300 it is great for folding up and rolling into a vehicle for transporting also can be plugged into the cigarette lighter ( you just have to light the firepot manually on 12v compared to the self igniter on 120v)

I'll take some photos next weekend when I'm back to the trailer. Shoot me a PM and you guys can swing by for a beer and check it out at St Williams 🍻

I have had a bradley for 7 years now and a traeger for 2 months. Totally different smokers and both compliment one another IMO.

Bradley for low temp, you can turn the heat off entirely and just smoke, great for smoking cheese!. My bradley struggles to hit 225°, and in the winter don't even think about opening it up until it's done. The smoked fish is amazing. Lightweight, less weight then a bar fridge. One big downside, I would never operate it in the rain.

I see the traeger as an outdoor oven/bbq/smoker. Great for everyday cooking. Everything we have made on it has been good/great. Ribs, chicken, beef, meatloaf, potatoes you name it. I personally don't worry about weather while using it.

Whichever way you go, I'm sure you'll enjoy the results. Ben

Another vote for the Bradley. I have the original model. The only issue with it compared to the digital is you have to fiddle a bit to get he right temperature, after that it's good to go. I do mostly fish and bacon an it works great for those purposes. Plus they don't cost $1000 either. If you need higher temps though a Traeger would be better. TC

I have had a bradley for 7 years now and a traeger for 2 months. Totally different smokers and both compliment one another IMO.

Bradley for low temp, you can turn the heat off entirely and just smoke, great for smoking cheese!. My bradley struggles to hit 225°, and in the winter don't even think about opening it up until it's done. The smoked fish is amazing. Lightweight, less weight then a bar fridge. One big downside, I would never operate it in the rain.

I see the traeger as an outdoor oven/bbq/smoker. Great for everyday cooking. Everything we have made on it has been good/great. Ribs, chicken, beef, meatloaf, potatoes you name it. I personally don't worry about weather while using it.

Whichever way you go, I'm sure you'll enjoy the results. Ben
Have you smoked fish on the Traeger @Crummybun ? I have 4 🌈 soaking in brine and ready to land on the Ironwood.

I had a Bradley for years.
Then I bought a Traeger
After a while, I sold the Bradley realizing I had no use for it anymore.
I smoked fish in the Bradley at 220*F .
I can do the same with the Traeger ( 180 to 220)
The only thing with the Traeger is that I can't cold smoke unless I haven't tried hard enough yet.

I guess the 180 and a big tray of ice

It appears you are. 😁

Verdict? 🌻
Jury is still out @hvyhaul . Ironwood 650 was jammed with 3.5 rainbow. Brined overnight, which may have been too long. Smoked about 4 hours at 225°… turned on Super Smoke for about 40 minutes. Some pieces looked a bit dry and the little bite I had wasn’t lacking for salt.

My key advice: brush some oil on the grill before placing on fish!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks