Boy missing @ Turkey Point

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree....it needs to be done now. There is a whole new culture of big city dwellers at this beach now. A different culture not acclimated to the risks involved. Life guards should be implemented and the other areas should have no parking available to utilize the resource. Residential permit parking on all areas not patrolled. The US has been doing it for ever it seems. A sea doo for these such rescue situations. However parents need to be more vigilant when taking their kids to such places.
We need crossing guards at all intersections and in between. And “coffee temperature testers” at McDonald’s, a police supervisor in every car that hits the road, etc etc. . The water is dangerous. We were taught that in school.

Reactions: jck
Many years ago camping at Long Point with the kids they had a large tractor tube that got away on them I swam after it and I had to turn back it went out of site in minutes still amazed how fast it went out of site I can see how this happened . My daughter told me today they were searching for a 3 year old at the beach that parents had lost wow now how can this happen ? they found the kid safe but as a parent on the beach that's just wrong

Lifeguards or not, kiddie pool or lake, parents must supervise their children and ensure they’re safe. As a parent of 3 under 10 years old I am 100% okay with no lifeguards at the lake. My kids, my responsibility.

Anyways, what a tragic and 100% preventable event that must be brutal on family and those involved. It’s very sad that this poor kid suffered the consequences of seemingly simple mistakes made by whoever was suppose to be supervising him.
From the sounds of things... they were watching. The body was found just 200yds from shore. They misjudged the wind and how far out the boy was. The boy panicked or whatever and decided to swim for it. His parents watch that happen. Should he have been on that floaty thing on a windy day? Nope. But life guards aren’t just for saving people, they can remind people about safety and help people read the water.

My youngest is 8 — i simply can’t imagine what those parents are going through right now. So very sad.

Condolences to the family and friends
We all make mistakes and no one is perfect and this is a very unfortunate incident.
As mentioned in another post, this is not a good time for a political debate on this and that as there are and will be so many different opinions.
All the best to each and everyone this summer and be careful.

My daughter told me today they were searching for a 3 year old at the beach that parents had lost wow now how can this happen ? they found the kid safe but as a parent on the beach that's just wrong
That happened to me once as a child. My parents were searching for me in the water, I was on land with my uncle. I'll never forget seeing the terror on my mother's face. Kids take off on you so quickly.

Condolences to the family and friends
We all make mistakes and no one is perfect and this is a very unfortunate incident.
As mentioned in another post, this is not a good time for a political debate on this and that as there are and will be so many different opinions.
All the best to each and everyone this summer and be careful.
Life guards are political? I suppose everything is.

We do need to look out for each other more than ever.

From the sounds of things... they were watching. The body was found just 200yds from shore. They misjudged the wind and how far out the boy was. The boy panicked or whatever and decided to swim for it. His parents watch that happen. Should he have been on that floaty thing on a windy day? Nope. But life guards aren’t just for saving people, they can remind people about safety and help people read the water.

My youngest is 8 — i simply can’t imagine what those parents are going through right now. So very sad.
The boy was over 1km from his point of orgin. He was 200 ft from shore but no where near where his family was and where his journey began. This is a huge and unthinkable tradgety. As I spoke to the father last evening it sunk in and hit hard. My son was standing behind me....he could not find his boy😪 may his soul rest in peace and his family find comfort soon.

Definitely a tragedy for sure, I feel for the family alot can't imagine what they're going though. I've been fishing on the water since I've been old enough to walk and was tought early to respect the power of the great lakes at a young age and to never under estimate it as you never truly know the cards it will deal you next. The great lakes can change in the blink of an eye and make things miserable even faster. I'm glad I learned what I did at such a young age because those are some of the things that I'll never forget especially years later as an avid boater and angler.
May the young boy rest in peace and the family eventually rest easier

Floats are for pools. Anything on a lake needs paddles and life jackets..... or tie a rope to them and hold on to supervise.

I still remember the first time I was in an ocean with my Dad teaching me about rip currents in 3-4 FOW, I was hanging on for dear life.

Even now when we're out on the lake swimming from our boat my wife always wears a life jacket and we tie the anchor line to it.... no not the anchor end. It's amazing how fast a current can pull you away even when the water looks calm.

A sad end to a tragic event, thoughts and prayers.

We always had a jacket on my daughter..always...in pools, at the ocean, at the lake. Like others have said, the power and unpredictability of the water is beyond just keeping an eye out. Things happen in a micro second.
Some of the comments might seem political...but I don't think they are. In tragedy comes an opportunity..albeit a costly one..to try and prevent this from happening again. All it takes is a life jacket. If this families loss can prevent a similar tragedy and save another life then help make it mean something.

Condolences to the family, tragedy can strike within split seconds on the water. Does anyone know of a brand of life jacket with a crotch strap for kids 50 to 80 lbs? I have searched and searched but most jackets with crotch straps are for "little kids". Reason being if my kids are out tubing/skiing, I want that crotch strap to make sure the jacket cant come off them if they bail out before we can circle back with the boat to pick them up. Any advice on jackets would be appreciated. Everyone give your kids an extra hug today, Heart goes out to the grieving family.

Condolences to the family, tragedy can strike within split seconds on the water. Does anyone know of a brand of life jacket with a crotch strap for kids 50 to 80 lbs? I have searched and searched but most jackets with crotch straps are for "little kids". Reason being if my kids are out tubing/skiing, I want that crotch strap to make sure the jacket cant come off them if they bail out before we can circle back with the boat to pick them up. Any advice on jackets would be appreciated. Everyone give your kids an extra hug today, Heart goes out to the grieving family.
Otter 2 by Astral. It has leg loops for more security than even the crotch straps

T
Otter 2 by Astral. It has leg loops for more security than even the crotch straps
Thanks for the suggestion, would prefer more chest straps than a zipper....Alot easier to tell if the kids have it done up proper and they havent unzipped it without my knowledge.

It would be easy to get some vests that you like and have someone sew on some crotch straps. I'm surprised there aren't more styles like that.

T

Thanks for the suggestion, would prefer more chest straps than a zipper....Alot easier to tell if the kids have it done up proper and they havent unzipped it without my knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks