Boy missing @ Turkey Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishing girl pink

Girl missing turkey point. Last seen on a floating raft. I think she is 6 years old. Opp helicopters and police fire are out looking for her. Please keep her and her family in your prayers tonight. 🙏

It is an 8 year old boy. Family is still there but no recovery yet. We were on scene however light ran out. It will be a tough night for the family and the residents around the scene.

The beach is very sandy and safe for swimmers, especially children. There are no life guards posted so parents and guardians must be responsible. The swimming area at the main parking lot is also marked by a buoy line to keep swimmers and boaters at a safe distance from one another.
I really dislike the Ontario (well public service in general) view that beaches and water is safe so we don’t need lifeguards to save a few $$ that would pay to high school and college kids for a summer job.

Population of this province keeps going up. Beaches are busier... Water is not safe. Ever.

https://www.ontarioparks.com/park/turkeypoint/activities

I hope for a miracle and I am so mad the cost saving numpties even think calling a body of water ‘safe’ is ok.

I really dislike the Ontario (well public service in general) view that beaches and water is safe so we don’t need lifeguards to save a few $$ that would pay to high school and college kids for a summer job.

Population of this province keeps going up. Beaches are busier... Water is not safe. Ever.

I hope for a miracle and I am so mad the cost saving numpties even think calling a body of water ‘safe’ is ok.
Unfortunately in this case there was a very strong west wind. The kids were blown out and witnesses say struggled to get in. The decision to leave the device was the wrong decision. There were concerned citizens on shore trying to organize a rescue plan but were delayed in that they did not have their own watercraft. It is a sad sad situation. I spoke with the father and he was mortified that his boy disappeared from in front of the beach so fast. Unfortunately he was looking closer to shore and on the beach for him. I have seen this same scenario in Turkey point many times and have rescued people myself. It boils down to common sense. Knowing the dangers and staying within the designated swimming area which is clearly roped now each year. Safety is "No accident" through better judgement.

Unfortunately in this case there was a very strong west wind. The kids were blown out and witnesses say struggled to get in. The decision to leave the device was the wrong decision. There were concerned citizens on shore trying to organize a rescue plan but were delayed in that they did not have their own watercraft. It is a sad sad situation. I spoke with the father and he was mortified that his boy disappeared from in front of the beach so fast. Unfortunately he was looking closer to shore and on the beach for him. I have seen this same scenario in Turkey point many times and have rescued people myself. It boils down to common sense. Knowing the dangers and staying within the designated swimming area which is clearly roped now each year. Safety is "No accident" through better judgement.
Sad to hear. The wind is a real risk and leaving the device is something a kid might do. I have taught my kids from a young age, if you are holding on to something that floats... don’t let go for any reason. I also wouldn’t let them use ‘floaty’ things on a beach like that. But I grew up on water. That common sense isn’t shared by those that simply have no exposure to big lakes.

If there were life guards there would be equipment on site for limtied rescue attempts. It may not have helped in this case but given the public demand to use these beaches... increase the fee to cover the cost!

Lifeguards or not, kiddie pool or lake, parents must supervise their children and ensure they’re safe. As a parent of 3 under 10 years old I am 100% okay with no lifeguards at the lake. My kids, my responsibility.

Anyways, what a tragic and 100% preventable event that must be brutal on family and those involved. It’s very sad that this poor kid suffered the consequences of seemingly simple mistakes made by whoever was suppose to be supervising him.

Sad to hear. The wind is a real risk and leaving the device is something a kid might do. I have taught my kids from a young age, if you are holding on to something that floats... don’t let go for any reason. I also wouldn’t let them use ‘floaty’ things on a beach like that. But I grew up on water. That common sense isn’t shared by those that simply have no exposure to big lakes.

If there were life guards there would be equipment on site for limtied rescue attempts. It may not have helped in this case but given the public demand to use these beaches... increase the fee to cover the cost!
I agree....it needs to be done now. There is a whole new culture of big city dwellers at this beach now. A different culture not acclimated to the risks involved. Life guards should be implemented and the other areas should have no parking available to utilize the resource. Residential permit parking on all areas not patrolled. The US has been doing it for ever it seems. A sea doo for these such rescue situations. However parents need to be more vigilant when taking their kids to such places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks