Bows

DST

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Any 1 been out to Delhi or Dover today?

I wasn't able to get out last Sunday. It's probably clear on the *** Creek but ALWAYS worth a shot. It's almost looking like it's going to be an early ice season this year lol. I hope so and hope not. Let me know how it goes if you get out man

Will do
I am going to fish the dam in the morning

Not sure what is going on down here yet. Water is low but the snow might have got them running again

I'm not the most technically sound at this stuff. ...not sure...lol. geen has been the best bet for me this year. Maitland has been dead for me

The geen should fish well for a few more years but since they have stopped the fall and spring transfer of fish to the upper sections of the Beaty to the prime spawning grounds in years to come the numbers will probably decline. Again these are my thoughts and opinions.
I won’t mention this Erie trib but it use to see a very large number or fall fish and there has been a major decline within that run but here’s hoping it turns around.

The geen should fish well for a few more years but since they have stopped the fall and spring transfer of fish to the upper sections of the Beaty to the prime spawning grounds in years to come the numbers will probably decline. Again these are my thoughts and opinions.
I won’t mention this Erie trib but it use to see a very large number or fall fish and there has been a major decline within that run but here’s hoping it turns around.
Do you know why they have stopped transferring them

I believe the agreement was to allow it to happen for 10 years and after that time was up the MNR did not renew the approval.
Just imagine a few hundred spawning steelhead making it to the most prime spawning grounds and if the survival rate was good the numbers of smolts making back out to the lake to grow and return etc.
The one issue the smolts run in to when heading back to the lake is the Maple Hill dam that kills a number of smolts going through the turbines heading down stream.

The spring and fall transfers on the Geen were stopped after the spring of 2016. The lack of transfers hit hard last fall with my numbers dropping about 75% on the Geen

They were transferring 3000 fish upstream (1500 both spring and fall) but the MNR wanted to do 'study' and discontinued it. Apparently the transfers may only been stopped temporarily. We will see....the stocking of 50000+ yearlings still continues but those fish tend to be later run. You rarely see them upriver during the fall. In the past weve noticed only 1/50 to 1/100 fish from sept till New Years would be clippers upstream of Denny's.

Lake Huron numbers overall are way down. Besides the Geen that gets massive plants, days of double digit hookups are few and far between where it use to be the norm for an experienced angler. Although I've been exploring alot of new water this fall I've still fished some usual areas and thus far I've had more days without a hookup this season than I have the past 10yrs combined on the Southern Huron tribs. Not good...

Josh

Ditto on the tough fishing on Huron tribs, despite numerous freshets, haven't had too much success, a few fish here and there, but overall very low numbers.
Regards
KJ

Went 0 for 1 Steelhead on the Maitland yesterday. Nice acrobatics and a fun fight on light line. Good size seeing her in the air. 4hr of searching. At least the water levels have dropped enough and cleared up to make it easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well as much as I hate naming specific tribs in my reports I guess reporting the two brief hookups I had on the mait today won't draw alot of traffic 😄 Despite the lack of action I did have a blast crossing off the Auburn to Wingham stretch of river off my jet boat to do list....

Heres a few vids from a recent tour I took with pops up the Bayfield. Not sure if I posted these here or not 🤔 No rods were taken, just out for a tour. We put in at the lake and ran upstream to the 'Y' above Varna bridge and back...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks