Boater Rescued off of Long Point on Lake Erie this Evening.

I believe being out on Lake Erie in a canoe at any time is totally irresponsible let alone at this time of year under a caution advisory in 42 degree water full of icebergs. I mean come on @duckman 1967, it's not even remotely comparable to being caught out on the lake in a 20 ft. motorized boat when a freak storm blows up and you know it. Sure we have all made some unwise and sometimes even stupid decisions we've regretted but this goes way beyond stupid. I equate this to sticking your foot under a running lawnmower to see if the blade is turning level of stupidity.

Forget the political correctness baloney WTP, I believe you used a perfectly appropriate term, "IDIOT" when describing this individual and that fact can not be over stated. In fact the guys that risked their own safety to pull him from the water should have stamped it in capital letters on his forehead. :banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
John Troyer and many other original settlers to this area came here in canoes. There is nothing wrong with using a canoe on the lake as long as you do so responsibly. I also know from personal experience canoing the lake; things can change real fast. Storms come without warning. My wife tries to tell me to stay off the lake in my canoe. I tell her if I get in trouble I will hear it on my own pager first. It's important to keep in mind no one has to rescue you. You are responsible for your own decisions. But it's not the government's job to make your decisions for you.

charge him the full cost of the rescue- stupidity like this deserves punishment

If you're going to give boaters the bill for making bad choices, why single out that group when "stupid" costs taxpayers tons of money in many other cases and puts fire, medics, or cops at risk?

When was the last time a drunk driver had to pay for rescue fees when they hit the ditch and rescuers had to scale a steep hill?
How about a speeder causing an accident or someone running a red light resulting in an auto fire and/or risky extraction?
Druggies overdosing (healthcare $$$) and fighting with cops as they try to detain the guy?
People needing rescue from a house after they fell asleep with a smoke in their mouth or a candle burning?
How about when the coast guard have to tow in someone who failed to maintain their boat motor and/or battery?

I could go on for days listing examples where stupid choices cost taxpayers money, strains our healthcare, and puts emergency response teams at risk.

Where would we draw the line with boating? Anything on a great lake in a boat under 17' falls under the "stupid" category and the people in vessels under this size requiring rescue will be sent the bill? Minimum 60 hp and a kicker required? Anyone on the water when waves are over 1 meter is automatically labelled an idiot and faces mandatory rescue fees? No boating allowed when the water temperature is below 50 degrees?

charge him the full cost of the rescue- stupidity like this deserves punishment
It was totally calm guy flipped canoe could have happened in a ten acre pond same result call ems wait till you get in trouble u will be re thinking make him pay this is ludicrous to make them pay where does it end the list would never end
Car accidents to fast,bad roads should no better charge them come on guys

Okay... I'm done trying to use simple common sense here. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :yawn:

I'm going out bungee jumping using a big elastic made in China I purchased from my local dollar store and if it breaks your tax dollars will be used to pay for my retrieval, my medical bills plus lost wages during recovery. Or I just may take a Sports Pal canoe across Lake Superior from Sault St. Marie to Duluth Minnesota... and of course it will be when the lake is full of icebergs! Come on, it just wouldn't be logical to try it at any other time. If the canoe happens to tip over then you can also pay the 200K tab for a helicopter rescue...and don't any of you dare call me stupid!!! :rolleyes:

Of course the guy's still an idiot, I just want to practice the new me, kinder, gentler, understanding and compromising. The guy is still an idiotto.

Paddle Maker, I can't agree with you at all. No canoe belongs on Erie deeper than the canoer is tall. I dumped a canoe here a half mile out. Flat as glass, summer, the more I swam towards shore the further I was pulled out by the current. It was strange and unnerving, 70F water and I was cold after 20 minutes. I had a PFD on, put it on after I went in. Not easy to swim with a jacket on, jeans, shirt, runners, socks and underware. I started cramping up after 10 minutes. Try getting jeans and shirt off while treading water, try it. A neighbor rowed his tinny out. I was spent, done, gassed. If not for the life jacket I would have been in deep shit. If it was 40 F I would have been dead.I was the idiot. I have never been about a boat without a PDF on. I invested the $$ on an inflatable. That's not what this is about. It's about being an idiot in a canoe on Lake Erie. And many voyageurs as well as first nations men and woman drowned. In grade school the history books called it suffering great hardships.

And what do you mean no one has to rescue you, yes they do, it's a first responders job for X sakes. What do you do call 911 and tell them " If I call you again just ignore my cries for help"

@ch312, all t he examples you made should be given a bill for services. We had this discussion last year when a guy on Skugog was given a bill for going through the ice.

@ch312, all t he examples you made should be given a bill for services. We had this discussion last year when a guy on Skugog was given a bill for going through the ice.

On one hand, yes. On the other hand, it would be impossible to determine who should be paying for services due to their own stupidity as what is considered normal and safe for one person might be viewed as a life threatening risk. If "stupid" resulted in hefty service fees, nobody would leave their homes as the huge majority of rescue and police services are required due to someones poor judgement or stupidity...

On one hand, yes. On the other hand, it would be impossible to determine who should be paying for services due to their own stupidity as what is considered normal and safe for one person might be viewed as a life threatening risk. If "stupid" resulted in hefty service fees, nobody would leave their homes as the huge majority of rescue and police services are required due to someones poor judgement or stupidity...

:meh: :yawn::bored:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks