Boater Rescued off of Long Point on Lake Erie this Evening.

oldcutmarina

A Boater was Rescued off of Long Point on Lake Erie this evening from Woodstock Ave. Norfolk Fire and Rescue responded at around 7pm to a distress call. Everyone made it back to shore, Safe and Sound.
IMG_4634_zps8b16811a.jpg
IMG_4624_zpsee2a81c9.jpg
IMG_4626_zpsae578a3e.jpg
IMG_4628_zps73ee221a.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like they were possibly in a canoe, or a very small skiff... lots of ice still floating around!

o_O Someone needs to inform them that the Titanic didn't fair well with icebergs in the water so what ever gave them the idea a canoe would?????

The phrase "You can't fix stupid" has become boring but still rings true.:yawn: I don't about the rest of you but I'm getting a little tired of my tax dollars once again being wasted rescuing people that can't use common sense. :(

And to think I've been hesitant to get out in my kayak off the Causeway to try for pike. And I've got a good floatation suit! I think I'll just chase some turkeys first:) TC

Good on you Jeweller. Can't get enough solid citizens such as your co workers and yourselves to risk your own health and safety to help stupid people. It's part of the deal you signed up for unfortunately.

Here we go again, same story, every time an idiot get's into trouble guys and gals like Jeweller need to risk their own safety to save an idiot in a canoe in 40 something water. I hope the injuries aren't serious, hypothermia is a serious injury, I wish that individual a successful recovery, but they are idiots. Stupidity is something one has no control over. It's a DNA thing, stupid is past down through the gene pool and a person with limited intelligence has to be empathized because it's not their fault. But an idiot or someone ignorant has a semblance of intelligence and refuses to use it.

Small craft on big water. Ice burg dodging might be a new extreme sport. And who pays for these idiots misadventure? Our legislators need to bring forward tougher laws for the exact circumstances such as this. We talked about this at great length this past year and I have already voiced my opinion ad nausium concerning this subject. I will again reiterate we did some absolute stupid things as kids like making an annual event every New Years day skiing down the Hamilton Escarpment where no groomed hills were. It also was an annual event to visit the emergency room at the General Hospital. What's the saying? Young and stupid! Yep that would have been us, admit it we all were at least once or twice. Like slip streaming behind an 18 wheeler in a British sports car to save gas, yes that was me. I think there aren't many among us that wasn't at one point in life that we didn't do something really idiotic. I hear even the Pope was an idiot when a kid in South America.

Now to get back the point (finally John) I personally feel the boaters exam is inadequate. I don't know of anyone that didn't pass the test, online or in a class setting. I attended a seminar at a local marine dealer, it taught me plenty, and we could ask questions to clarify which was fantastic. I find it difficult to ask my computer a question, she like other females in my life don't answer me. It is far better than the qualification needed before the legislation, which was a boat and a motor. Without beating the same dead horse again I strongly feel that there should be a minimum size vessel and power to be any further than a mile out on a large body of water. Yes many bad things can happen 100 yards from shore but a tinny with an electric trolling motor or anything that can not do say 30MPH and remain stable at that speed has no business out on any big lake. We have all seen them out trolling up to or over 10 miles out, and if one spends enough time on a big lake will have the pleasure of towing someone to the dock because the vessel can't safely get back. Just last year we brought a family of 4 onboard to get them in when 1/2 meter waves quickly became 2 meter swells, I find it unnerving in my 19 foot deep V aluminum, it would be a life threatening situation on anything smaller than a 17 foot aluminum. My uncle taught me that you shouldn't be out in anything that can't go faster than the wind can blow and you will be good. Out here you would need a Pete Fountain offshore racer when she's blowing to out run a storm, but it is a good rule of thumb. You can't drive on any road on an electric scooter and the same should hold true for our waterways. There is no way canoes and 14 foot tinnies should be far from shore, no freaking way. All should to have the right to enjoy a beautiful day on the lake, in a bay or within a reasonable distance from the shoreline. Like I said earlier one can't use a disabled scooter on the road and the same holds true for tinnies on a big lake, what's the difference? E bikes aren't allowed on an 80 KPH road, but out here there are a few idiots that do. One guy that lost his license uses his lawnmower to go to the hotel for his fix. When a car comes behind him he uses the shoulder then moves back onto the paved surface.

I know I've kissed the ground a few times after running in with less than 2 meter waves in my 19 footer. I've talked to more than 1 boater that thought they were going to meet their maker 1/2 way across from Erie PA in a 30 foot cruiser. They left when the water was like glass and a storm kicks up that wasn't expected by the weather services.

One wants to risk the safety of themselves is one thing, putting your family in danger as well as our real life hero's like @jeweler and his co workers is another thing.

How many people need to die before something only logical is done about it?

Just my opinion.

John D

Last edited:
Oh yeah @Big Dave, I think we got our limit in May last year (and I'm pretty sure that I caught most of them:LOL:).

This May, after seeing the pictures of all the icebergs out there still, I think the water might be a little cooler.

Oh yeah @Big Dave, I think we got our limit in May last year (and I'm pretty sure that I caught most of them:LOL:).

This May, after seeing the pictures of all the icebergs out there still, I think the water might be a little cooler.
@stomp

Kindly quit robbing threads or I will be forced to report you!:p

Good on you Jeweller. Can't get enough solid citizens such as your co workers and yourselves to risk your own health and safety to help stupid people. It's part of the deal you signed up for unfortunately.

Here we go again, same story, every time an idiot get's into trouble guys and gals like Jeweller need to risk their own safety to save an idiot in a canoe in 40 something water. I hope the injuries aren't serious, hypothermia is a serious injury, I wish that individual a successful recovery, but they are idiots. Stupidity is something one has no control over. It's a DNA thing, stupid is past down through the gene pool and a person with limited intelligence has to be empathized because it's not their fault. But an idiot or someone ignorant has a semblance of intelligence and refuses to use it.

Small craft on big water. Ice burg dodging might be a new extreme sport. And who pays for these idiots misadventure? Our legislators need to bring forward tougher laws for the exact circumstances such as this. We talked about this at great length this past year and I have already voiced my opinion ad nausium concerning this subject. I will again reiterate we did some absolute stupid things as kids like making an annual event every New Years day skiing down the Hamilton Escarpment where no groomed hills were. It also was an annual event to visit the emergency room at the General Hospital. What's the saying? Young and stupid! Yep that would have been us, admit it we all were at least once or twice. Like slip streaming behind an 18 wheeler in a British sports car to save gas, yes that was me. I think there aren't many among us that wasn't at one point in life that we didn't do something really idiotic. I hear even the Pope was an idiot when a kid in South America.

Now to get back the point (finally John) I personally feel the boaters exam is inadequate. I don't know of anyone that didn't pass the test, online or in a class setting. I attended a seminar at a local marine dealer, it taught me plenty, and we could ask questions to clarify which was fantastic. I find it difficult to ask my computer a question, she like other females in my life don't answer me. It is far better than the qualification needed before the legislation, which was a boat and a motor. Without beating the same dead horse again I strongly feel that there should be a minimum size vessel and power to be any further than a mile out on a large body of water. Yes many bad things can happen 100 yards from shore but a tinny with an electric trolling motor or anything that can not do say 30MPH and remain stable at that speed has no business out on any big lake. We have all seen them out trolling up to or over 10 miles out, and if one spends enough time on a big lake will have the pleasure of towing someone to the dock because the vessel can't safely get back. Just last year we brought a family of 4 onboard to get them in when 1/2 meter waves quickly became 2 meter swells, I find it unnerving in my 19 foot deep V aluminum, it would be a life threatening situation on anything smaller than a 17 foot aluminum. My uncle taught me that you shouldn't be out in anything that can't go faster than the wind can blow and you will be good. Out here you would need a Pete Fountain offshore racer when she's blowing to out run a storm, but it is a good rule of thumb. You can't drive on any road on an electric scooter and the same should hold true for our waterways. There is no way canoes and 14 foot tinnies should be far from shore, no freaking way. All should to have the right to enjoy a beautiful day on the lake, in a bay or within a reasonable distance from the shoreline. Like I said earlier one can't use a disabled scooter on the road and the same holds true for tinnies on a big lake, what's the difference? E bikes aren't allowed on an 80 KPH road, but out here there are a few idiots that do. One guy that lost his license uses his lawnmower to go to the hotel for his fix. When a car comes behind him he uses the shoulder then moves back onto the paved surface.

I know I've kissed the ground a few times after running in with less than 2 meter waves in my 19 footer. I've talked to more than 1 boater that thought they were going to meet their maker 1/2 way across from Erie PA in a 30 foot cruiser. They left when the water was like glass and a storm kicks up that wasn't expected by the weather services.

One wants to risk the safety of themselves is one thing, putting your family in danger as well as our real life hero's like @jeweler and his co workers is another thing.

How many people need to die before something only logical is done about it?

Just my opinion.

John D
All very true what's the point and I don't totally disagree but where do we draw the line guys heads out in a a canoe totally calm wind blows up not rough for a 20' boat buy trouble for him weather changed. You head out in your 19' weather looks good u are a great boater but a freak storm rolls in and the freighter out in lake says he is totally safe and you are a nut for being out in the storm same thing should we call you an idiot for being out in the Great Lakes with a 19' boat when Lake Erie can sink a ship. Don't pass judgement on some one going out and things changing it can happen to all of us. I have been out duck hunting in some very nasty storms that people think that I was nuts but to me is a walk in the park but may be trouble to others we are always prepared but other people would be in trouble in the same situation so don't judge them they got in trouble was rescued by the people who are trained to do so and I'm sure to them was not a big thing for them either that is what they are paid to do. Don't get me wrong bad decisions are made all the time by all of us driving on bad roads driving to fast it puts us all in danger this I why we have the great people of the ems to help us when a bad decision puts us in arms way

Point taken @Duckman1967. Idiot may too strong a word here. Perhaps unprepared boater may be the more politically correct term. Whether out 10 miles from Nanticoke here or 1/2 way to the French on Nippissing or on Quinte I'm the person at the wheel it's my responsibility to call the shots to ensure I take all reasonable precautions to ensure the health and safety of those on board my vessel. Constantly looking for wind changes, especially directional shifts, watch the windmills for direction and windspeed, watch the skies for cloud shift and changes, watch the time of day, monitor the marine channels for changes in the reports. Many times I've told the guys and gals onboard to reel them in as we are heading back in small chop and sunny skies. Sometimes not the most popular of guys that day. Sometimes I'm right and by the time we get back in we are pounding the now 6' chop, sometimes I'm right and nothing changes, but as the guy responsible I'm always right.

I still don't think a canoe or tinny has any good reason to be on this lake more than a reasonable distance from shore. And I'm sure the crew of the Tudesac says the same about me in my 19 foot tinny bouncing around in 1 meter chop.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks