Fishing Report Boater Etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both vessels are required to alter course to starboard, right, and pass each other on their port, left, side. but the above wasn't the situation here.

Additionally, if you or both, have boards out, you've quite a distance to move to ensure safe passage.

Last edited:
Both vessels are required to alter course to starboard, right, and pass each other on their port, left, side. but the above wasn't the situation here.
Ok that's what I thought, I asked only so I was thinking the correct thing to do
One more question if other boat approaches from starboard "rigth" side or port " left side " who will have the right of way ?
I been many times in situations where other boat not willing to change course at all and I'm always the one doing circles to avoid them now keep in mind I like to stay away from others at least a 1/2 mile but it gets anoying special when the other boat steers like a drunken sailor and constantly coming at you

@Ticker that's precisely why you'll never find me fishing the pack. I deliberately fish water where I am away from and many times out of sight of other boats.

There's lots of fish out there and they are all over the place. :)
Yes I agree, fish are everywhere and lakes are called the great lakes for a reason, but there are times when as much as I want to get away others seem to find me
Most of the time it's not guys fishing or guys fishing but no rods out yet just going by
And I tell you lots of times they come so close that I can see the gap between his teeth it drives me nuts at times

I have heard both sides and alls I can say is boaters need to be aware of their surroundings at all times. Especially trolling. To many people think oh he will move out of my way and to many people think while auto pilot is on I can not pay attention.

Both are CHARTER BOAT Captains, regardless of boater etiquette one captain is steering his boat and probably knows the other has auto pilot on, out of RESPECT, standing steering captain should of taken evasive action action to avoid what was going to happen. Call on the radio and say hey pay attention. Funny they both knew who each other was. Seems there could be some bad blood that got in the way. Too bad, there is lots of water to fish out at the light. 100 yards right then turn back on track, so simple, IMO

Cut and Paste from Big Dave's FB page with his side of the story:

Edit: go to Facebook to see more details

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL...are you guys referring to the big dave toolbox who use to frequent this site? I must say i am not surprised that he intentionally ran over your board as the guy presented himself as an arrogant pompous asshat.

He runs a charter business you say? My buddy and I sure would make it an interesting trip for this guy. So many angles you could take. We could be the clumsy noobs who drop rods overboard. Being seasick (intentionally) and plastering his boat with barf would be comical. Or we could simply give him some of his own attitude and see how that pans out...

All of us have been out on the water and had another boat either coming at us head to head or coming together ahead at an angle. My strategy is to just steer away from anything close. Some are arrogant....some are just not really functional when it comes to common sense but when on the water...it is MY time to enjoy with a friend or family....so why get upset and create issues when simply steering away and biting your lip solves it all. (Other than Owen Sound where you simply pray and swerve at derby time).
Be well all.

I sure don't get where using an autopilot is any excuse for not keeping a proper watch or thinking it gives anyone the right of way?
Still haven't seen it mentioned which captain had the legal right of way?
Too many facts left out of this post.

Actually the first post said the other boat was approaching from the starboard side of the OP's charter.
To me it makes it looks like the charter captain (too busy tending lines) was negligent in not keeping a proper watch and avoiding an approaching vessel from it's right side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks