Fishing Report Boater Etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winterized

Had a mind blowing experience today at the lighthouse. Was on a charter through work today, with jimmy riggin and a buddy that he gets to help him out. We’re trolling along, scott (the captain) is helping change lures, set poles, all that, while having his boat on auto pilot, and a buddy looks up and yells “that boat is friggin close” we all turn to look and he’s 60 ft from out starboard side heading straight for our planer board. So we all start yelling and waving obviously, “you’re gonna hit our board!!” He replies with “guess I’m gonna hit it then” and proceeds to run our board completely over. Tangles his board with ours, with a very weak attempt to miss it. Never ever seen anything like it. Got the whole lake out there and he decides to run our board over. Anyway was 2 guys in a blue proline, with a topper. Will try to post pictures of the boat. What a piss off. Could have easily ruined our day. Ended the day with 2 eyes, one laker and a rainbow.

Attachments

• 4E5DD2D6-363D-40E3-B2A1-35AC1FA26118.jpeg
    4E5DD2D6-363D-40E3-B2A1-35AC1FA26118.jpeg
    823.7 KB · Views: 461
  • AADF332B-369E-49BD-98AB-40FF2BDA9FCD.jpeg
    AADF332B-369E-49BD-98AB-40FF2BDA9FCD.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 420
  • 6CF04593-1A82-45B8-8867-BEFE6B2F840C.jpeg
    6CF04593-1A82-45B8-8867-BEFE6B2F840C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 367
  • 9286AC2F-B24B-4560-9CDB-DD46F247D89C.jpeg
    9286AC2F-B24B-4560-9CDB-DD46F247D89C.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 355
There are idiots out there. It is a big lake, no reason to be so tight together, especially running boards (as you can't turn quick). It's easy to look a 1/4 mile ahead and adjust your heading early. I think we saw you out there. We were north of you by a half mile or so. Glad you got a few.

Had one of them at nanticoke yesterday. He was not on a set course. Ziggin and zaggin off my bow. Get a grip guys. There is plenty of fish and real estate for everyone.

We had the same thing almost happen to us Wednesday. It’s a big lake, no need to be that close to each other especially when it’s not the Owen Sound Derby.....lol

Should be Captians Etiquete.

Your Charter Captain is a fool and lame for not watching were he was going, autopilot is not for turning your back on your direction and obligations to your passengers and anyone else out there.

Fools just Fools

I feel like this is bias. He was busy tending to his clients. Auto pilot meaning he wasn’t changing course. Same direction the whole time. The other boater was at the steering wheel. Big Dave could have easily slightly gave a small berth. It ultimately caused him is planer and whatever lines we’re attached to it. Also we had 12 lines out and he has max 4. Easily visible and should be easily able to slightly adjust course.

yes you are correct, both captians could both have down a better job.

But in my opinion
If you are on a paying Charter , your Captian better drive his or hers, or there's boat with better care than what happened there today.

And after reading his post he's a looser for purposely coming so close when you weren't watching.

It doesn't really matter who has more lines out or who is steering, there's a stand-on vessel (right of way) and a give-way vessel.

Don't know which of you was which.

Of course having the right of way means nothing if the other party doesn't give it to you.

Paying attention and choosing to stay clear avoids these issues.

It doesn't really matter who has more lines out or who is steering, there's a stand-on vessel (right of way) and a give-way vessel.

Don't know which of you was which.

Of course having the right of way means nothing if the other party doesn't give it to you.

Paying attention and choosing to stay clear avoids these issues.
Don't want to stir the ?
But can you explain to me who has the right of way and who give way in let's say on a head on course to each other
Tx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks