Boat Repower

Go with the Suzuki Red. I had a DF140 on my last boat and I loved it. It never once didn’t start for me, and purred like a kitten and wasn’t hard on fuel! If I’m not happy with the motor on my new rig, I’m running straight to the Suzuki dealer and repowering with a DF75. I had to go to the US to get my current boat, and in doing so saved a pile of cash so it won’t hurt me much if I have to do so by the time I factor in trade value etc. Cant go wrong with the Suzuki.
Sounds great & thanks @Porkpie 👍 for your input,and the Suzuki seems to be getting a lot of attention,and I will definitely look at them for sure! 👍 🙂

I was at the Toronto Boat Show Thurs..OMG...amazing but you gotta have at least $50K in your pocket just to get into the game with a 16' aluminum Lund, Crestliner, Starcraft, etc. Move up to an 18,19'..$80K. Glass walkarounds...$150K....so repowing is the way to go if you're happy with the rest of your boat.

Heres a nice Yamaha that would look great on your Lund.....
@DaveJ “Thumbs Up!” back to you,👍 but unfortunately
that 450 V8 Yamaha is way to big for my Lund! lol 😂 It is a beautiful outboard motor for sure! My Lund is only 18.5 foot in length.It’s just crazy on how expensive boat’s,and motors have gotten!! Hopefully you enjoyed the Toronto Boat Show overall,while you were there. 🚤👍🙂

Last edited:
@DaveJ “Thumbs Up!” back to you,👍 but unfortunately
that 450 V8 Yamaha is way to big for my Lund! lol 😂 It is a beautiful outboard motor for sure! My Lund is only 18.5 foot in length.It’s just crazy on how expensive boat’s,and motors have gotten!! Hopefully you enjoyed the Toronto Boat Show overall,while you were there. 🚤👍🙂
Oh I think it would look great on your Lund...and you wouldnt need a bow mount trolling motor any more!!
I didnt check the price but my little Yamaha bag wouldnt be big enough to carry the cash required. Crazy thing is...this wasnt the biggest motor there...the 500s were sooooo sweet, and one boat had 4 on the back.
The T.O boat show is a great day out..but wear comfy shoes cause there is a lot of acreage to cover. Even in my runners, my dogs were sore by the end. Its not a shopping day unless you got something specific...more of a dream outing....but good to see what the market holds. Like I said, you gotta have a wack of pesos to get into the game today. I think Ill just continue to relax in my 22' Trophy Pro knowing its paid for.....although your repowering post has me thinking.... :cool:

Oh I think it would look great on your Lund...and you wouldnt need a bow mount trolling motor any more!!
I didnt check the price but my little Yamaha bag wouldnt be big enough to carry the cash required. Crazy thing is...this wasnt the biggest motor there...the 500s were sooooo sweet, and one boat had 4 on the back.
The T.O boat show is a great day out..but wear comfy shoes cause there is a lot of acreage to cover. Even in my runners, my dogs were sore by the end. Its not a shopping day unless you got something specific...more of a dream outing....but good to see what the market holds. Like I said, you gotta have a wack of pesos to get into the game today. I think Ill just continue to relax in my 22' Trophy Pro knowing its paid for.....although your repowering post has me thinking.... :cool:
@DaveJ in my case,changing my 90 hp Mercury outboard motor,( too many breakdowns ),to perhaps a 90 hp Suzuki outboard motor is my way to go. By today’s boat prices as you had mentioned above,a 18 foot length boat would cost $80,000 plus! I recently had someone text me that I haven’t heard from for around 14 years,wondering if I still had my Lund boat,and wether it I wanted to sell my Lund boat. This individual remembered my boat,and how well I kept it up back then. I will keep this Lund for now,but at the same time I thought about downsizing to a 16 foot boat,because it would be much lower maintenance,because my 18 foot boat is not. I have hydraulic surge brakes on my boat trailer for an example,and they can be quite expensive to maintain. I will make up my decision this Spring,on whether to keep my 18 Lund boat,or downsize to a 16 foot boat,with no brakes on the boat trailer,etc. 🚤🎣🐟👍🙂

@DaveJ in my case,changing my 90 hp Mercury outboard motor,( too many breakdowns ),to perhaps a 90 hp Suzuki outboard motor is my way to go. By today’s boat prices as you had mentioned above,a 18 foot length boat would cost $80,000 plus! I recently had someone text me that I haven’t heard from for around 14 years,wondering if I still had my Lund boat,and wether it I wanted to sell my Lund boat. This individual remembered my boat,and how well I kept it up back then. I will keep this Lund for now,but at the same time I thought about downsizing to a 16 foot boat,because it would be much lower maintenance,because my 18 foot boat is not. I have hydraulic surge brakes on my boat trailer for an example,and they can be quite expensive to maintain. I will make up my decision this Spring,on whether to keep my 18 Lund boat,or downsize to a 16 foot boat,with no brakes on the boat trailer,etc. 🚤🎣🐟👍🙂
Hey Red. When I was at the Boat Show I didn't see anyone buying anything! Boats and Motors have gotten stupid with regards to pricing. Financing rates on new boats is rediculous! 9% was the figure to finance a new Lund. That's Crazy! The dealers win- YOU loose! I would keep with what you have and enjoy it each and every outing. If your just going to Re-Power- Go for it! Good luck Red but if I was you I would not launch your Lund! Just my opinion bud. Cheers. Will talk on the 10th!

When I was looking in Dec the suzuki was actually allot cheaper than Mercury and Yamaha

Then between the time I booked it in and had it installed ....Suzuki Canada offered a promotion
So I saved another 1000$ ....not sure if promo is still on or not ?

2023 suzuki 90 hp
Cabels and controls
Propeller
Installation
In water test drive
Tax
= 16 200 $20231222_122132.jpg

Keep the 18..you want that extra 2' on the big water MIN. You can always disable the hydraulic brakes on the trailer..an 18' aluminum dosnt really need them. I had 19' Superfisherman and 20' Islander Starcrafts with 100/125 hp Mercs, kickers, etc on standard trailers..no problems. My 22' Trophy has surge brakes but its pushing 4000lbs.
Ive also considered going back to an 18-19' aluminum hull for ease of transport, launching solo, fishing smaller waters, etc but as long as I fish big lakes like Erie and Huron, the comfort and security of a bigger hull is my main priority.....plus, after the T.O boat show and the crazy pricing, Ill keep my rig. Repowering is DEFINITELY the way to go.

Keep the 18..you want that extra 2' on the big water MIN. You can always disable the hydraulic brakes on the trailer..an 18' aluminum dosnt really need them. I had 19' Superfisherman and 20' Islander Starcrafts with 100/125 hp Mercs, kickers, etc on standard trailers..no problems. My 22' Trophy has surge brakes but its pushing 4000lbs.
Ive also considered going back to an 18-19' aluminum hull for ease of transport, launching solo, fishing smaller waters, etc but as long as I fish big lakes like Erie and Huron, the comfort and security of a bigger hull is my main priority.....plus, after the T.O boat show and the crazy pricing, Ill keep my rig. Repowering is DEFINITELY the way to go.
Great feedback @DaveJ and much appreciated for your time. 👍 Why back in 2007 when I bought the boat and boat trailer as a package deal,the boat trailer came with surge brakes,and they are nice to have at times,for quick braking,especially on slippery roads. The boat weighs 1,500 lbs.( dry weight ), and it has a 40 gallon gasoline tank in it,which weighs an extra 300 lbs.,when the gasoline tank is full,plus more weight for tackle,etc., but likely no surge brakes needed for my 18 foot boat. I will look into disabling the surge brakes this Spring. Thanks again for your help @DaveJ 👍🙂

I was at the Toronto Boat Show Thurs..OMG...amazing but you gotta have at least $50K in your pocket just to get into the game with a 16' aluminum Lund, Crestliner, Starcraft, etc. Move up to an 18,19'..$80K. Glass walkarounds...$150K....so repowing is the way to go if you're happy with the rest of your boat.

Heres a nice Yamaha that would look great on your Lund.....
Buy a motor like that and that explains why they offer the add on the bag your holding

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks