Boat insurance

Hi Arawak, I am a broker and yes, you can get liability only but may need your agent to push it for you with your homeowners insurance. I always recommend keeping the boat insurance separate with a marine company but if you want liability only your best bet is to extend it from your house policy. I've done it for clients recently but had to push for approval from that company. Hope that helps!

Thanks for your reply. I'm with State Farm, but they were bought by Desjardin since I last asked, so maybe the policy has changed. I'll give it a try. If not, then maybe I'll contact you privately about separate insurance.

If you only need public liability insurance while fishing in your boat why not join the OFAH and get 5 million liability free with your membership. It covers you while engaged in activities such as hunting, fishing, target shooting, conservation work and non-commercial trapping. There are several other free insurance coverages included along with the 5 million liability. Check it out.

https://www.ofah.org/membership/highlights/public-liability-insurance/

Great idea but "This policy provides no coverage for automobiles, boats, motors, ATV’s or snowmobiles, as this is typically provided through a home and/or auto insurance policy."

Great idea but "This policy provides no coverage for automobiles, boats, motors, ATV’s or snowmobiles, as this is typically provided through a home and/or auto insurance policy."
but it provides the liability only part of those modes of transportation

@Arawak doesn't want coverage for the boat, only liability so what the OFAH provides is a good option for him.

I believe their intent is to provide personal liability , motorized vessels are much different.

Northstar ! They will replace your New boat up to 5 years old with No depreciation . Great prices too. You get what you pay for when it comes to insurance.
I'm with North's tar as well & I have 15 year no depreciation & I pay 70$ a month

You don't need boat insurance to be on water but it's a good idea
I was stopped by police in oakville they asked for boat ownership I did not have received a 285 dollar fine so I woukd say you defiantly need ownership

MacDonald marine asks for proof of insurance when mooring. I dock the night before bassmass to avoid the traffic & ramp rage i have witnessed over the years. At least that way I only have to deal with the d-bags plowing through the outer bay parking lot on thier way to pottahawk!
dont fish in the channel

You don't need boat insurance to be on water but it's a good idea. I was stopped by police in oakville they asked for boat ownership I did not have received a 285 dollar fine so I woukd say you defiantly need ownership
I have never carried or ever been asked for proof of ownership in 50 years of boating. It was not easy to find on the government websites but you are right @Duckman1967 about proof of ownership. I stand corrected from my other post as I was confused with the wording regarding proof already established with a pleasure craft vessel license. Not so, legal ownership is only established if the vessel is registered where by proof of ownership is not required in that regard. Vessel registration and pleasure craft licensing (the numbers that are on both sides of your boat) are not the same therefore we all must carry proof of ownership if our pleasure craft is not registered.

From now on I'll be carrying a photo copy of my sales receipt to avoid the $285 fine you received so thanks for pointing that out. I might add, we must also carry the original paper of our pleasure craft license with us as well. Proof of insurance is not needed nor is boat insurance mandatory which is something I'll never quite understand.

Pleasure Craft License:
Does the licence prove the ownership of my pleasure craft?
A license does not prove that you own your pleasure craft. You must carry separate ownership documents with you.

Pleasure Craft Registration:
You may also choose to register in the Canadian Register of Vessels if you wish to have an approved name and port of registry for your vessel, register a mortgage, or show proof of ownership.

My insurance agent replied with

I just checked with my underwriters and they would still require a marine survey to confirm insurability even if just for liability coverage. Both with State Farm and with the upcoming switch to the Desjardins/Certas platform for home insurance, there is only coverage for small boats of not more than 25hp, with a maximum coverage of $1000 for the boat itself.

Ah well.

Maybe OFAH is the best bet for me. It's not very clear what this means:

This policy provides no coverage for automobiles, boats, motors, ATV’s or snowmobiles, as this is typically provided through a home and/or auto insurance policy.

I would assume that it means that you are not covered for the loss of the aforementioned, but you are covered for liability while operating them during OFAh activities.... otherwise it's not particularly useful insurance.

@Arawak... I just chatted with the OFAH to clarify exactly what the Liability insurance covers. I was told that it provides the third party liability coverage of $5 million in the event that you damage someone else's property such as their boat or you injure or kill someone by accident which you are at fault. I understand that as the exact same coverage for third party liability provided by any insurance company.

It does not provide any coverage for damage to your boat etc. but you indicated it wasn't really worth having insurance for. It does fully cover the liability end of it as well as the other coverages listed below. That is what I was told and you should talk with them personally to give yourself peace of mind.
  • $5,000 in accidental death & dismemberment policy while engaged in activities such as hunting, fishing, target shooting, conservation work and/or non-commercial trapping.
  • $3000 Accidental Dental Expense
  • $50 daily hospital cash (up to max. $1,500)
  • $15,000 rehabilitation benefit
  • $15,000 occupational training for spouse of deceased member (all of the above subject to policy wordings, terms and conditions)
  • $15,000 Death Repatriation

Last edited:
Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to do that! That's exactly the info I wanted. Much obliged.

Now I can tell the family what I want for Fathers' Day :)

Guys, be careful, I will call as well but can guarantee OFAH isn't providing liablity insurance for autos, snowmobiles , ATV's and boats just because you are a member. Are you telling me that you can hand your OFAH card to a police officer on the road/trail as proof of insurance ? I don't think so.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks