Boat insurance

triggerfish

I just bought a boat that I actually want to have insurance on versus my old tinner and would like to know your thoughts on good low cost insurance in ontario.
Thanks gang.

Call 519-673-6376. Marie Habjan / Anne Jones. they have the sharpest pencil around. trust me, i have spent the better part of a day price shopping. I pay $350yr for $24k value.

Last edited:
My boat insurance is linked through my home insurance, fire theft etc. $119/month is FAR more then I pay, which seems to be the starting point of the above site. I think for $15k in value I pay about $20 a month.

I have insurance thru BayFront Ins. Port Rowan. It is a separate policy with Premier Marine Insurance. Looks like good coverage Hope I don t need to use it. I carry a copy of it with the boat just in case I get stopped. I believe you need ownership and proof of insurance.
Email Lois
llounsbury@brokerlink.ca or call 519586 2762

My boat insurance is linked through my home insurance, fire theft etc. $119/month is FAR more then I pay, which seems to be the starting point of the above site. I think for $15k in value I pay about $20 a month.
Just an fyi, I used above link for 16.5K value and policy with tax was 312$. I think the 119 u r looking at would be for a much costlier boat.

I got quote from April Marine for my 16ft 130HP inboard outboard it was not $119/month it was about $20/month

Regards

I carry a copy of it with the boat just in case I get stopped. I believe you need ownership and proof of insurance.
Email Lois
llounsbury@brokerlink.ca or call 519586 2762

Can someone please confirm this? I've gotten stopped many times in my short boating career and everytime the police or mnr have never EVER asked for proof of ownership or insurance.. just the min required safety equipment.

You are suppose to have proof of ownership

By law you do not need boat insurance.

Just a nice thing to have incase you kill someone with your boat or if it sinks ;)

That was my understanding when I called around to get quotes. And asked if I actually require it before putting in the water
My boat is cheap and old so I'm not too concerned but I've been thinking about getting it.

Can someone please confirm this? I've gotten stopped many times in my short boating career and everytime the police or mnr have never EVER asked for proof of ownership or insurance.. just the min required safety equipment.
Boats land under the oceans Canada act and operators are not required to have valid insurance. Most home owners have a option on thier home policy to add a water beset vessel. Your boat should be covered by your home policy if say it gets destroyed by fire at your residence. It's also covered by your auto policy while towing etc thus alot people are covered for two-thirds of the boating life...storage and travel and take thier chances on the water. I just went trough all of this. 15k value and they wanted $464 too much for just a third of the time you use it. In comparison my new atv similar 15k value is $277 .

I use Northstar insurance. For $60k value of boat I pay $350 plus taxes. The 5 year replacement value for what I paid. My home insurer couldn't even come close, and I have a lot of policies with them. Call Jared at Northstar, I have been very happy with them. +1 (705) 719-7919

I have been stopped before on my 25ft boat(my wife's) and asked to show both ownership and insurance. On my 16ft fishing boat I have been asked for proof of FLARES even though I had them. I am sure no flares are required for under 18 ft !

I pay $ 400 for $24K coverage.

I have been stopped before on my 25ft boat(my wife's) and asked to show both ownership and insurance. On my 16ft fishing boat I have been asked for proof of FLARES even though I had them. I am sure no flares are required for under 18 ft !

I pay $ 400 for $24K coverage.

Hopefully to clear up some misconceptions mentioned in this thread about legal requirements regarding boat insurance and ownership.

Unless someone has information to the contrary but I can find no where in government regulations that stipulates proof of ownership is required or has to be on your person when operating your boat in Ontario. Your vessel license already proves ownership because you can't get one without it. When you sell your boat you must sign the back of your license registration in order to transfer ownership. Ontario does not issue ownership certificates for your boat such as for your car, trailer etc. However, it may be a good idea to carry another form of ownership such as your boat sales receipt if entering U.S. waters as the laws there are probably different.

Also as @jerk bait already mentioned it is not mandatory to have boat insurance in Ontario. That being said, there are certain circumstances when it becomes mandatory, for example, when you finance your boat the bank will want confirmation that the boat is insured for the life of the loan. Also, if you are mooring at a marina, the owner may require you to carry a certain amount of liability insurance. Other than that you do not have to prove you have insurance or have it for that matter but I think your crazy if you don't.

Last edited:
MacDonald marine asks for proof of insurance when mooring. I dock the night before bassmass to avoid the traffic & ramp rage i have witnessed over the years. At least that way I only have to deal with the d-bags plowing through the outer bay parking lot on thier way to pottahawk!

Is it possible to get just liability insurance with an old boat?

I have a 1986 Bayliner 17' CC and when I called my insurance agent they wanted a marine survey. That's $400+ when I checked, so getting pricey. I just want liability, not replacement.

Anyone know about this?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks