boat floor - replacing carpet with vinyl

icefisherman

Thinking of replacing the old carpet in my Lund 1700 with vinyl. Floor and small sections up the walls.
Anyone done that recently? What should I expect cost wise and can you recommend place that does good job at hopefully reasonable cost?
Is it something one can do himself?

Thanks,
Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

I did mine. The process is pretty simple. The vinyl isn’t cheap though. I found mine on Kijiji for a decent price. I replaced the plywood while I was at it. Use exterior plywood and use your old boards for templates. I sealed my plywood with Killz primer then applied the adhesive that you apply with a notch trowel. If you decide to do it yourself PM me and we can go through the process. 3E20630B-5B24-4D76-AA64-B1722F1AAB11.jpeg9B4472D0-101D-4A7B-B60B-005A8899DCB4.jpeg5E13FCF3-5A81-4655-BD61-1155A44CC750.jpegC6417252-2206-4299-B1E7-F026F1BED26E.jpeg

Thinking of replacing the old carpet in my Lund 1700 with vinyl. Floor and small sections up the walls.
Anyone done that recently? What should I expect cost wise and can you recommend place that does good job at hopefully reasonable cost?
Is it something one can do himself?

Thanks,
Cheers,
Ice Fisherman
It's quite easy to do yourself. Just a heads up that the vinyl is not as thick as the carpet and will leave gaps at the joints if you use your existing flooring. If you cut new flooring add an 1/8" to each side to make up the difference. If you use your existing flooring I used 3/8" weather stripping on each edge of the plywood prior to gluing and stapling the vinyl. Also buy stainless staples.

Check out lens mill in dover, some times they have end of the roll. I needed wider than they had. I bought mine from joe dale canvas. His cell 226 919 5649. Love vinyl over carpet. I replaced all wood and used west system marine epoxy on all edges and faces of wood before installing. The epoxy i bought at bridge yachts in port dover. I also got large head aluminum rivets from them. Pretty big job but saved $$ and have pride in it.

Yup been there done that

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    184.1 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0040.JPG
    IMG_0040.JPG
    240.2 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0041.JPG
    IMG_0041.JPG
    224.9 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0042.JPG
    IMG_0042.JPG
    250 KB · Views: 163
Ive read up alot on tinboat.net on this and epoxy is the best sealant.Old Timers recipe of Varsol,linseed oil and varnish takes days to cure but is sworn by also.Never use pressure treated plywood as it eats aluminum..BAD..JTs outdoor products in Barrie has all the vinyl you will need..Good luck!!

I had Proctor Marine do mine last winter... They did a awesome job... Went with vinyl for main floor and new wood and carpet for the rest... It was very reasonable... My 21 year old Crestliner feels like a new boat...new boat.jpg

Last edited:
HEY Jammer looks awesome,, was proctor marine expensive,,,I'm thinking of doing my 18ft Lund....do you mind PM me what it cost I'm trying to get a rough price thx..

Lens Mill in Woodstock had that vinyl a while back. 60" wide for 9.99 a yard. Matched perfectly to the vinyl already in the boat.

I'm in the exact same boat, lol, had to do it, sorry folks.
The carpet in my Lund is so bad, a wet paper towel is stronger.
I keep mulling over doing it myself, not sure if I should go carpet or vinyl, but now that I see the carpet on the deck and vinyl on the main, I think I just made up my mind.

I must say that's a great looking DIY job. How many hours do you estimate that it took you?

Ive read up alot on tinboat.net on this and epoxy is the best sealant.Old Timers recipe of Varsol,linseed oil and varnish takes days to cure but is sworn by also.Never use pressure treated plywood as it eats aluminum..BAD..JTs outdoor products in Barrie has all the vinyl you will need..Good luck!!
I shopped pretty hard for vinyl and JT's had what I needed at a descent price

along with installing the new electric motor I probably had between 20 and 25 hours

I did the main floors in my 03 Lund Alaskan a few years back. The floors around the seat bases rotted where the bolts went through the floor. The plywood used in the flooring was absolute crap..had knots in it so wasnt marine grade, and I dont think it was even sealed.
I replaced with marine grade plywood, epoxy sealed, and ordered new vinyl flooring from Lund...I got it through Maple City Marine in Chatham. I used marine grade flooring adhesive and replaced all the rivets with oversized....which with a hand rivet tool was a workout!
I may have an extra box of the rivets if you want them. Let me know and Ill dig them out.
The vinyl was I think around $200 for enough to do the main floor panels with some leftover. Its not difficult at all, esp if you dont have to replace the flooring..but Id be prepared to do floor panels if you find them rotten..and thats not difficult either. If you need any help let me know..Ive done a few and transoms.

Pete Freeman who lives near Long Point is real good. Fixes all kinds of boats Lunds aluminum and fiberglass . He did a floor and transom in a 16ft for me. Excellent job.
If you want his number email me.

I've recently been planning for my floor replacement and been wondering if I should splash the cash on marine plywood. I have access to 3/4 inch form ply for free so my question is if all proper steps are taken to ensure the plywood is protected from moisture and top it off with vinyl would any members see the added weight being an issue or think of any problems I might run into? The boat is a 16' welded aluminum so she is heavy to begin with. Also wanted to move the centre console ahead by 8 inches but was wondering if that would result in issues. I have to replace everything so not worried about steering cables, wiring etc not being long enough.

Vinyl is better than carpet in high traffic areas. On my last boat I cleaned and vacuumed and brushed the carpet weekly to keep it from matting. Over time obviously its going to wear and crush. Vinyl is durable but hot on the feet and less comfortable. My new boat I didn't want carpet and optioned for the Sea Deck foam. Saw many vendors at the boat show last year promoting it. I'm hoping it is as durable as vinyl and lasts longer than carpet cause it is sure nice to stand on and easy on bare feet. Has anyone looked into this option as i assume it may be costly.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks