Big Question

Bent Pole

I have been reading all the fishing reports for quite a few weeks. I would like to give perch or walleye a try but is it really worth the five or 6 hundred dollars for 5 guys to fish and come home empty. This is the way we would have to do it with a charter so I see no reports for the dollars to put forward. Six hundred is an expensive sunburn. I'll keep reading.

I have been reading all the fishing reports for quite a few weeks. I would like to give perch or walleye a try but is it really worth the five or 6 hundred dollars for 5 guys to fish and come home empty. This is the way we would have to do it with a charter so I see no reports for the dollars to put forward. Six hundred is an expensive sunburn. I'll keep reading.
A hundred each for a day is pretty cheap considering all the costs associated with owning and operating a boat set up right for Erie fishing. I say DO IT ! And fish will be a bonus.

That's a deal.

Shrink wrap $225.00
Slip $550.00
Plugs $80.00
Carb cleaner $100.00
New VHF $165,00
2 new fenders $60.00
New " Special" tackle box $90.00
10 new spoons and minnow baits 100.00
Re spool Leadcore $60.00
Hull cleaner $50.00
Hull wax $20.00
Spray 9 $18.00
Armor All, $15.00n

That's just this year.

About a grand in rod's and reels and 2 grand in tackle. 4 cheap rods only.

Plus fuel and oil plus, plus plus, plus. Fuel, oil, 2 plus 4. Now I don't want to add anymore up. It's a great deal for a charter. I really have been thinking about selling and taking 5 or more charters out a year for less.

$100 is nothing.....the cost of a days fishing on the lake can easily put you at that figure if you own a boat! It's more a out the experience than the meat in the freezer;) I can buy fish MUCH cheaper than I can catch them...

If your after tasty walleye then Erie is your best option. If you want a memorable day on the lake consider taking a drive to lake Ontario. The salmon and trout action will more than keep you occupied;) and the smaller ones make great BBQ and smoker fare. Fishing on Lake O's north shore has been very good this season. There is nothing in the great lakes that compares to big open water Chinook for memorable, exciting battles.

If it's not about the meat a St Clair musky charter is worth a thought. It's another amazing fishery that on most days provides steady action for "elusive" Apex predators. The fishing has been very good this year from what I've heard.

Josh

Last edited:
If you wanna give it a try it is well worth it
Three buddys and I fished a charter today out of erieau had a blast got a lot fish,
do some research ,find a good charter you wont regret it,Iam sure you can get some good recommendations on this site

$600 will get you 33.33lbs of walleye at the fishmarket or 30lbs of perch... (Before taxes) There are some charters on fish... Do your homework...

Way back in the day when I didn't have a boat... Me and two buddies took a charter out of owen sound... We landed a salmon and a bow... Was one of my most memorable days fishing ever... Charters sell a experience...

This is getting depressing cost wise ;) but yeah, if all you are going to do is fish and it's less than 10 times in a season on a Great Lake then a charter makes a load of sense. I often wonder why there aren't more charters operating on Lake Erie in nice boats but then I go fall back to my grump about how tourism is not an industry county governments want to help. Those docks next to the coast guard boat in Dover would be neat filled up with charter boats... Or have them dock right in Dover -- kinda like Fish Town on Lake Michigan.

http://www.lelandmi.com/fishtown/

Btw, if you want an amazing experience the charter boats at fishtown all run 30ft+ Tiara's and fish an amazing part of shoreline on Lake Michigan.

Erieau is the sportfishing capital of the north shore of erie...the fishery there is world class...thats where i would charter a boat..i am sure countless others would agree...

Hey @WhatsthePoint ... there is no way i would sell my 2 boats and charter a boat up here on the great lakes...it is worth every dollar to have the luxury of owning your own boat and being your own captain..you can go out when you want... where you want and you my friend call the shots...right or wrong your still the captain!!!...there is nothing more fulfilling on getting on the fish and hammering them...I still live for that!!!..would I charter on the great lakes...absoulutley NOT...I fish for my entertainment...remember when you said you were hooked on catchin your first rainbows..well you accomplished that on your boat with your knowledge and its a memory you will never forget...and there is nothin sweeter then gettin that done...quit complaining about the cost and enjoy the rest of your fishin season and that goes to the rest of you crying the blues about the cost!!!... including the poster!

@mick it's more about my health really not the cost. I.E. this morning, up at 06:00 and I can't put weight on my foot. We were supposed to go out this morning fishing, that isn't happening when I can't walk.

I wasn't crying the Blues, more about accounting. Many people think it would be great to have boat but don't do the math.

I will toss a little fishing report on here went out yesterday filled the boat from half a tank $250 fished all day 2 steel head anyone's guess where 58 feet of water one off top 20 one off the bottom and on the way back boat lost power so thats going to cost $$$?$ so ya 100 bucks for the day well worth it

Erieau is the sportfishing capital of the north shore of erie...the fishery there is world class...thats where i would charter a boat..i am sure countless others would agree...
I agree completely Mick!! Erieau has world class charter boats and capts and you're almost guaranteed fish.
Charters are some of the best value going...for entertainment and for fish for the freezer. $100 for entertainment..that gets sucked up fast ...dinner and a movie will take care of that. At $18/lb, it only takes a couple of fish and you've got your $$ back from the charter. Heaven forbid you get a limit...thats worth its weight in gold!!
Cost of owning your own boat...PRICELESS!! I went without one for about 10 years...sold the boat after my daughter was born as I wasn't using it much. What a mistake. Got the present one 3 years ago and swear I would never go without one again. IMHO there is NOTHING like the feeling of cruising past the pier with the sun coming up, gulls flying, clear the end of the breakwall, point the bow south, get up on plane, wind in your face. Freedom at its best!

They say the 2 best days for a boater is the day you buy it and the day you sell it. I will be heart broken when I sell it, I just can't get out enough to justify my hobby now. It is frustrating to say the least. Besides that amongst my fishing buddies we have too many boats to count. We are always arguing as to what boat to take, a nice problem to have for sure. My 19 footer is the smallest in the Armada.

Hey @WhatsthePoint sorry to hear you had to cancel your fishin trip today...thankfully you were out the other day and caught 3 nice pics and enjoyed the rest of your day with your friends or family eatin fresh pickeral...so i hope your feeling better soon and when you do...get off the couch and get back on the water ...My dad once told me... do it while you can...he is so right...I to suffer from chronic pain and have to limit my activities and cant over do it...i am still recovering from 5 knee surgeries....but I am not letting that stop me...my physiotherapist agrees with me to go fishing...so I better do what she says...lol

Hey @WhatsthePoint sorry to hear you had to cancel your fishin trip today...thankfully you were out the other day and caught 3 nice pics and enjoyed the rest of your day with your friends or family eatin fresh pickeral...so i hope your feeling better soon and when you do...get off the couch and get back on the water ...My dad once told me... do it while you can...he is so right...I to suffer from chronic pain and have to limit my activities and cant over do it...i am still recovering from 5 knee surgeries....but I am not letting that stop me...my physiotherapist agrees with me to go fishing...so I better do what she says...lol

I hear you Sir. We don't even have a couch anymore. Since we got rid of it my back has much better. Every AM it's something new that hurts. They call it Fibro Malaysia with is Latin for "we don't know why you can't go fishing". Something else called Calcium Calcinoses which is Latin for "no fishing or golf for you today old timer".

Then there's something called ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,. Back to the couch we don't own to watch The Canadian Open.

I have spent my whole life running a family business chartering out of port Rowan. People have no idea the cost in time or money to own and run a vessel. The cost for a days fishing on a charter is well worth it. Fishing in any body of water can be unpredictable as to whether how much fish you will bring back. I always told the guys we took out that if you came here just to catch fish, you are missing the whole point of coming out. Spending time with family, friends & co workers on a beautiful body of water being a part of nature and the landscape is priceless.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks