Fishing Report Big Inner bay muskie

I have, on 2 occasions had something a lot heavier than a walleye break my lead core during the fight. Not a trout or salmon, suspended 30-40', happened between sand hills and hastings last summer and summer before. I believe I hooked a muskie both times, some speculate a big cat or sturgeon, I don't think so I was not on the bottom. I see no reason for Muskies not to populate the whole lake givin the amount of food they have available.........Niagara river and st Clair are full...why wouldn't they expand their range? Guy posted here last fall a mature Muskie caught in front of Ryerse bass fishing.

Last edited:
A few years back while spring fishing for pike on Rondeau bay, I hooked and brought to the side of my boat a massive muskie. I rough measured it against the boat before it decided to leave, and I would put it at around the 55" mark...and huge across its back. Likely in the 40lb range. No way these fish live in the bay...it was a lake fish in spawning. I have no doubt there is a healthy population of lake musky cruising around getting fat.

In the last few years on the bay more and more muskie have been caught from juveniles to monsters. I have no doubt the population is growing In the bay plenty of food for them feast on.I myself think their just swimming from St Clair down the D past rondeau. If there being caught now in the bay they will or should spawn in the bay.

Why can't there be?

Well for one reason Long Point has never even remotely been considered a musky hotspot let alone for big lunge, at least not in my lifetime. There may be some anglers that do but I don't know of any serious ones who would spend time targeting musky in the bay. LSC is what I call a hotspot where not only big girls can be caught on any given day but sometimes multiple catches of big lunge are possible.

Long Point has always had the potential because it's really perfect habitat for them. The few big ones caught over the last several years certainly gives hope that some day there may be lots of big girls cruising the bay. Although I'm quite sure even they were caught by accident while fishing for an entirely different species.

The mighty muskellunge has been called the fish of 10,000 casts... and I bet it will take at least that many to hook one like in the photo if targeting them in the bay. If you do I suggest you take lots of Tiger Balm for your casting arm. :D

Just because they aren't caught all the time doesn't mean they aren't there

Long Point may not be on the musky hotspot list, but St.Clair wasn't until just a while ago. I caught a 25lb musky years ago off the mouth of the Thames and it was a big deal..I had it mounted. Now musky are a NUISANCE when you're fishing eyes or smallmouth!! Give it time, and ski's could be the top gun on longpoint...

Just because they aren't caught all the time doesn't mean they aren't there

I didn't say they weren't there @Derkd9, just not big ones in significant numbers at least not yet. That could change in the coming years.

Long Point may not be on the musky hotspot list, but St.Clair wasn't until just a while ago

Actually it's been great for a long time not just recently. I've been fishing Lake St. Clair musky for 16 years and know of a Michigan charter boat captain, Don Miller who's fished it for almost 50 years. It has gotten much better in the last 10 years for big girls but musky have been there in big numbers for a long time.

I think there is a lot more musky then people think... I think a lot are caught and kept mistaken for pike... Due to social media and websites they are now being broadcasted... IMO... In all my years fishing LPB I believe I've caught (witnessed caught on my boat) 7...

I should have dated the "a while ago". I've been fishing St.Clair since the late 70's. You're right that it has always had muskies, but the last 10 years or so have gone over the top with quality and #s...ever people like me can catch them....

Beautiful fish out of Lake Erie eh
The ones I've seen come out of smaller lakes don't look as nice lol

Lol
Now for the debate on whether that's a pike or a Musky!
Don't think that's a Barred one?
Or are you just trying to yank his chain?

Most of the musky I have seen have been the clear ones. And they were an older fish looked all banged up lol

Love the spotted ones
I think they look so cool.

Hi, I'm new to the channel. I have came to this website when in need of a fishing update. I made an account just to put my say on this topic :), i beileve that there is a muskie population on the rise. The past couple of years i would find it hard to believe that there is musky in the the bay until recently with all the pictures and reports. We launched our boat for the first time this year from St. Williams a couple weeks back didn't catch anything:banghead:. On our way back to the dock we noticed a large fish floating belly up in the water upon further investigation it was a muskie about 30''. Im not saying that there will be super tankers being caught reguarly but i believe that we are beging to get somewhat of a steady population.:) (y)

Welcome aboard @Kellam17. Your right musky are on the rise in the bay, there's definitely more than I can ever remember.

Back