Big Fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
The goby is already out of the bottle. Seems to me like a pretty stiff fine.

Reactions: Jay
That does seem a little much of a fine to me! Considering commercial fisherman receive fines less than or equal to that for over harvesting!!....but that's just my two cents on that

:rolleyes: What he did was not right to be sure but come on, you get less for manslaughter!

Stopping the spread of invasives is at the top of the list for the MNR, as well it should be. Gobies in a bait tank is a HUGE deal IMO. I agree that the commercial guys get off too easy for quota and other violations, this being a business, the fine is perfectly justified.

Josh

What a crock of shit!! The gobys are here and he had absolutely nothing to do with that!! You can't pick and choose what your net catches and if he was to take the time to pick that garbage out his target catch would be dead. His bait shop is on the lake erie shore, guaranteed those minnows are not going to say lake ontario or up north to lake nippising so seriously what is the issue? Sorry but there is much more the CO's could be waisting our money on rather then worring if lake erie shit fish are going back into lake erie or not!

I'm not sure of the situation this is just a thought when they net on the beach like I have seen many times how could they possibly control every minnow species that's in the nets not one guy I bet that sells baitfish goes through every fish to make sure what he has in all his tanks are legal I could be wrong but would seem to me it would be very time consuming and next to impossible to sell bait at a reasonable price if u had to carry out this task

Well you do have to carry out this task, and the fine is hefty so that it's not more profitable for you to break the law and pay a $300 fine every once in a while. You guys defending him are all out to lunch. He's not a bad guy. He doesn't deserve any more, or less than his fine, because that's the law. He did something illegal, he pays the fine and everyone goes on with their lives and has hopefully learned something. Ideally, how much punishment is dealt out if a baitshop owner decides his profits outweigh the risks.

Would you defend a commercial outfit that was selling illegal fish in with their catch by saying that it would take too much time to sort them out and he couldn't make money doing it any other way? I sincerely doubt it. Remove yourself and your bias from the situation.

What a crock of shit!! The gobys are here and he had absolutely nothing to do with that!! You can't pick and choose what your net catches and if he was to take the time to pick that garbage out his target catch would be dead. His bait shop is on the lake erie shore, guaranteed those minnows are not going to say lake ontario or up north to lake nippising so seriously what is the issue? Sorry but there is much more the CO's could be waisting our money on rather then worring if lake erie shit fish are going back into lake erie or not!
I'll make this pretty easy and clear. Gobies are in Deer Creek conservation area, which is a reservoir up stream, and up dam from the lake. They weren't there before. They got there, in baitbuckets that were filled at the local shops on the shore of Erie. Clear enough?

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally agree if those where purchased by Erie and used lets say some where up north and then the gobbies started to spread up there that would be the worst thing possible. And yes I know taking live bait from one body of water to another is wrong. Do not forget the company was fined and the harvester.

You must be the biggest dummy on this forum, so I'll make this pretty easy and clear. Gobies are in Deer Creek conservation area, which is a reservoir up stream, and up dam from the lake. They weren't there before. They got there, in baitbuckets that were filled at the local shops on the shore of Erie. Clear enough?

Hmmm... and you somehow know that to be absolute fact do you?

WR ... you know the rules and why they are in place!! R&R knows the rules, they have paid and HAVE received negative advertising. Let it go.

Hmmm... and you somehow know that to be absolute fact do you?
Unfortunately @Wave Runner it is true. Over the years I have talked to many that brought minnows to Deer Creek, Little Lake, Teetervile Pond, Lehmans Dam etc. that where purchased at the lake from bait shops. In the 70's my dad and I regularly used Red and Yellow Bellied Dace from a farm pond south of Otterville. Never thought twice about dumping the water to keep them alive or dumping them to feed the fish when the day was done. Now Deer Creek has Gobie and Zebra Muscles. You can bet the Muscles didn't swim upstream, crawl up 200 ft of concrete to make a new home.

There was 9 days between both inspections....why not make sure the store tank wasn't containing invasives, bass, perch or silversides right after the first on lake inspection? I think he got what he deserved. Unfortunately I won't be using him for a pike charter now.

Lmfao Josh are you stupid? Would u seriously consider buying bait and then driving 5 hours with it? Mite as well go to sobeys and get canned sardines. Idiots such as yourself are ruining this forum. Seriously why not start up a fishing school if u know all?? Get a life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks