Off Topic Best way to season a new BBQ?

Kinda like signals and vehicles @Stick

It comes with the vehicle, but lots don't get used.

Oh come one now hvhaul. As a former trucker I know that you know the only signal we could ever really count on getting is the one finger salute from people who think we're driving too slow.

Hopefully with what's happening now, that'll change because maybe, just maybe, people have gained a much greater respect and greater appreciation of just how important those trucks really are to every day life.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Guess I'll be looking at Weber but the Genesis is out of my price range unless I can find a sweet deal somewhere. Keep the advice coming.

How do you guys get it ready to cook? I've always burned off on high for at least an hour and then let it cool off overnight then wash down anything food will touch a second time.

Wash the grids and warming rack with mild dish soap and water and then towel dry. do Not air dry. Coat every piece and both sides of racks including hard to reach corners with a high burn temp. oil like Canola. Vegetable works but olive oil is not great as it burns at too low a temp. A rubber sauce brush works pretty good. Fire it up on high and leave it there for about 15 min. then turn down to a more med-high for 20 more minutes. Turn off and leave closed to let COMPLETLY cool. The grids will now have a baked on finish much the same as curing a cast iron pan. Every time I use it afterwards I turn it on high for 10 min. to cook off the crap, scrub with grill brush then spray with spray on Canola oil while still hot, shut the lid and leave it until your next cook and it will always be ready and never have rust start on your grids.

Lots of good info. I had a Vermont Castings for 13 years. Was great. Now have a Napoleon with infrared side burner and love it. Infrared great for cooking deer steaks or searing steaks.
I use a little wood smoke box when indirect slow cooking on grill. Real smoker is out back.
Don't cheap out. Good bbq make you a better chef and want to cook more.

Good bbq make you a better chef and want to cook more.

Having been a chef professionally, while having "top of the line" equipment is always preferable, this is a case where it's not the equipment that makes the difference. The equipment is just a tool. It's the skill and knowledge of the person using it that will make the biggest difference.

Having been a chef professionally, while having "top of the line" equipment is always preferable, this is a case where it's not the equipment that makes the difference. The equipment is just a tool. It's the skill and knowledge of the person using it that will make the biggest difference.
Well said my friend.

"A good carpenter never blames his tools"

Also on my WANT list:

Watch "Blackstone AirFryer Combo IN ACTION!" on YouTube

Broil King made in Barrie 1/2 the price of a Weber, cast grills ,built well. Don't was your extra money on a Weber , you can buy more fishing equipment ,steak with the money you save.If i cooked you a dinner you couldn't tell that steak was cooked on a overpriced Weber. If your a shitty grill master no BBQ can save you .My 2 cents. Broil King Signet model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Broil King made in Barrie 1/2 the price of a Weber, cast grills ,built well. Don't was your extra money on a Weber , you can buy more fishing equipment ,steak with the money you save.If i cooked you a dinner you couldn't tell that steak was cooked on a overpriced Weber. If your a shitty grill master no BBQ can save you .My 2 cents. Broil King Signet model.
I had a Signet and it was a good BBQ. If I hadn't left it on all night it would have lasted a lot longer. (Still got 10 years out of it. Since none of us in this house are working right now money is tight but we need a good BBQ to replace a cheaper propane model that finally rusted away. Looks like its between the Signet and a Weber Spirit E310. Decisions, decisions....

I had a Signet and it was a good BBQ. If I hadn't left it on all night it would have lasted a lot longer. (Still got 10 years out of it. Since none of us in this house are working right now money is tight but we need a good BBQ to replace a cheaper propane model that finally rusted away. Looks like its between the Signet and a Weber Spirit E310. Decisions, decisions....
Got our Broil King from Home Hardware on Dundas St in London, i told him what i wanted to pay for it (not the sticker price), they assemble it and delivered it N/C.

Stick - check Kijiji and/or Facebook marketplace if looking used. Really - you can't afford NOT to buy a Weber or a Genesis even if spending on new. You will only buy once. If stainless steel grate - brush with olive oil before cooking, quick blast of heat when done cooking - 5 or 10 minutes - brush with aluminum brush or wood brush and done. Natural gas is the way to go. Burning off on high heat for an hour - seems a tad excessive. If you oil before cooking, nothing should stick and clean up should be a breeze.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks