Off Topic Best way to season a new BBQ?

Stick

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
There must be enough gourmets out there, going to invest in a new natural gas unit and need your input. Makes, models and how to get the most out of a good one.

There must be enough gourmets out there, going to invest in a new natural gas unit and need your input. Makes, models and how to get the most out of a good one.
@Stick I can only give you one advice
Keep it away from anything combustible when you heat it up the first time
I did not ? do that and melted my siding at the back of the house ? my wife still calls me a dumb ass for that ? and she is rigth

I second the Weber . Got tired of throwing out rotting bbq's so went to Dodsley's last yr and spent the money on the Weber . 10 yr warranty on every part . Quality is next to none . Love it . I believe for an extra $100 you can get a Bluetooth add on to monitor temps and such on your cell . I don't need that but shows they's up with the times .

Last edited:
Had my Weber for 25 yrs replaced one set of flame spreaders excellent BBQ. Well worth the money..

Charcoal no gas,you’ll never regret it
Agree, have a couple of Weber kettles too, fantastic but won't fire them up for a couple of hot dogs or burgs. Weekends, whole chicken, ribs or pork shoulders, low and slow, booyah.

I have a Napoleon N Gas Grill with infra red side burner and rotisserie back burner. Stellar performer.

A Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5" smoker

A Weber 22.5" Kettle

Waiting to hear from the youngest on how their Treager is working out, might consider adding one of those in future.

Don't go cheap, they don't last, or cook evenly.

I have a Napoleon N Gas Grill with infra red side burner and rotisserie back burner. Stellar performer.

A Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5" smoker

A Weber 22.5" Kettle

Waiting to hear from the youngest on how their Treager is working out, might consider adding one of those in future.

Don't go cheap, they don't last, or cook evenly.
I have a Treager and it works amazingly well.Anything low and slow it’s what I use.

Big green egg. Hands down. I’ve done everything from whole turkeys, a brisket for 24 hours, countless ribs, bread, brownies and everything in between. I have a napolian grill that the kids cook hot dogs on, I never use it now.

WEBER GENESIS II is what we have and i wouldn't trade it for anything,,,well worth the money,,,,oh its also natural gas.....happy BBQing

Wardell's in Hagersville usually runs a great sale on Napoleons in May, bought a nat gas Prestige 500 4 years ago and its been a great bbq. The Prestige line is still made in Barrie. Also run a Louisana Grills kamado from Costco, which actually gets used more than the gasser.

I did not ? do that and melted my siding at the back of the house ? my wife still calls me a dumb ass for that ? and she is rigth
I did that once also way back when I was young and stupid but what's your excuse? :giggle:

As far as a BQ I have a Weber Genesis ll natural gas which is pretty good but no where near the quality of my former Napoleon Prestige 500 NG was. It lasted me for over 20 years of heavy use and produced 300F more temperature which I loved for doing quick burn offs of grilled on crud. On the Weber which only produces 550F at best takes so much longer to do a burn off and not the same result. I only bought the Weber because a new Napoleon Prestige has become way too expensive for me. I've had the Weber for 4 years now so time will tell how long it will last. It's not getting near the use the Napoleon got so I hope it lasts.

I left our first natural gas BBQ on low overnight once a long time ago. Probably 12 hours. Thankfully it was on low and 3 feet from the garage wall. After that I make certain it is off before I sit down to eat and the wife reminds me every time.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Guess I'll be looking at Weber but the Genesis is out of my price range unless I can find a sweet deal somewhere. Keep the advice coming.

How do you guys get it ready to cook? I've always burned off on high for at least an hour and then let it cool off overnight then wash down anything food will touch a second time.

Back