Off Topic Battery drill auger question

Fisherboy

Not for me. I like my gas powered Jiffy but I have a buddy that is going to switch over to drill for his 8inch auger.
What drill/battery combo would you suggest.
Also let's just assume there's 10in of ice with a 8in blade. How many holes could you possibly drill with your suggestions.
Thought I would ask people that actually have used them.
Thx

Not for me. I like my gas powered Jiffy but I have a buddy that is going to switch over to drill for his 8inch auger.
Also let's just assume there's 10in of ice with a 8in blade. How many holes could you possibly drill with your suggestions.
Thx
A great question @Fisherboy and I am thinking of making the switch as well,but in my case,from a 8 inch manual ice auger. There should be some of these drill/battery combo ice augers soon somewhere on sale for your buddy and myself,and perhaps some other ice fishermen looking to perhaps buy one.Maybe @Jumbojim might be one of the person that could answer this post ,for he had a pretty good drill/battery combo,when I ice fished with him the last time on February 21/22,on long point bay. Photo’s and a video below of his drill/battery combo. Good luck to your buddy in purchasing the right drill/battery combo. 🎣🐟🐟🐟🐟👍🙂

Attachments

• 12962818-8E7A-4193-8705-D2BFA7BE4743.jpeg
    12962818-8E7A-4193-8705-D2BFA7BE4743.jpeg
    400.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 66A2C4F9-D724-4533-8782-E946F4114667.jpeg
    66A2C4F9-D724-4533-8782-E946F4114667.jpeg
    414.2 KB · Views: 38
  • C5D17128-810E-4826-A4A5-75DA6887DA44.jpeg
    C5D17128-810E-4826-A4A5-75DA6887DA44.jpeg
    405.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2254.MOV
    27 MB
Last edited:
Thx
My milwaukee fuel is unbeatable. 5.0 amp battery can cut 30 to 40 holes easy. Much better then the Dewalt it replaced.

I to use the milwaukee fuel with 5 amp battery with the side handel attachment im only using a 6 inch auger . The most holes i have drilled in a day was around 12 and it hasnt moved off of the full on the battery great drill for ice and around the shop.

A great question @Fisherboy and I am thinking of making the switch as well,but in my case,from a 8 inch manual ice auger. There should be some of these drill/battery combo ice augers soon somewhere on sale for your buddy and myself,and perhaps some other ice fishermen looking to perhaps buy one.Maybe @Jumbojim might be one of the person that could answer this post ,for he had a pretty good drill/battery combo,when I ice fished with him the last time on February 21/22,on long point bay. Photo’s and a video below of his drill/battery combo. Good luck to your buddy in purchasing the right drill/battery combo. 🎣🐟🐟🐟🐟👍🙂
Could anyone verify the video that I sent in this post is viewable,such as working? It is showing O views under my video that I send,and it’s the first time that I send a video here on @stomp Thanks in advance. 👍👍😉🙂

I bought the dewalt flexvolt advantage DCD999 this season. I'm using it with a 6amp flexvolt battery on a clam plate, and no matter how many holes I drilled this season I always went home with 3/3 bars on the battery. The auger is a finbore 3, 6"(new blades last season). I would guess that the most holes I have drilled in 1 trip might be 20, and that day the ice was around 14"-16". It's very fast and doesn't bog down, punches though effortlessly. I also used it up in Sault ste marie and Timmins in -30°c + weather and had no issues with battery or power. The ice up there was thick, close to needing and extension for the auger in some places, 30" maybe? The negatives would be cost. If he's not already using Dewalt or their flexvolt systems he could be into $600+ just to create this setup. If your buddy already has some dewalt batteries/charger laying around it wouldn't be so bad. One other thing I would mention, the outside of the chuck has some surface rust after being exposed to the elements, dont think it will be a problem. Definitely thinking about getting and 8" for next year after seeing how this thing handles a 6".

I bought a swedebore manual auger on sale at CTC , bought the drill bit attachment and used my Dewalt with 5ah battery that I already had. I can't believe how well it works - 20 holes , still a full battery. And don't clean off your auger blades like you do your skates with bare hands.....that's just stupid - trust me.

Jonny Harris Idiot GIF by Murdoch Mysteries

I have an 8 inch nils with dewalt hammer drill 5amp battery. I've drilled almost 30 holes in a day not sure how many more I could gave drilled. I also have a 10 inch nils power auger. Only use the drill one now.

I also have an 18v Milwaukee Fuel with a 6" auger. Probably drilled 30 or so holes this year 12-14" of ice and I still have full bars on the battery. I doubt an 8" auger would make any difference. You can drill through in about 10 seconds with very little effort. I have used the handle attachment but find I can drill just as easily without it. The only problem for me is drilling straight down :rolleyes:

While doing my research on the K - drill
I found that a 8 .5 " auger with 5 ah battery will easily do 400" of ice

I bought the 9.5 k -drill in 2021 ...was all I could find .
I averaged 25 - 30 holes on quinte in 16 " of hard black ice .... but after putting battery back in heated bag it regained power

Make sure you place battery and drill in a bag with some hand warmers . Cold really drains battery and makes drill work harder

I also noticed on quinte that after drilling 15 + holes straight ( 16 " of ice ) my drill and battery was getting hot

I just got back from nipissing although I went through an operator I took my dewalt 20v 5ah drill and clam plate with a 6 inch auger. I had no problem drilling through 30" of ice in a mere few seconds and drilled 20 plus holes and the battery was still fully charged. I will never go back to a gas auger again.

I have a gas auger. It hasn’t seen the light of day in 5 years now. I was already invested in Milwaukee tools, so I had a fuel high output. It’s all been said here already. It’s amazing. I have never been close to running out of bars on a 5ah on a normal day of fishing with an 8 inch auger. My fish finder also runs off of a fuel battery and 12 volt adapter, so if I really needed to cut a few extra holes it would be no problem. I do sometimes take a 9ah battery instead when ice is thick, but again it’s really not needed I just happen to have one. It’s an excellent system buy with confidence!

Clam plate with DeWalt Flexvolt drill on an 8" auger has been flawless this season since I bought it. Light and very fast. Best hundred bucks I ever spent. Super light as a bonus.

Clam plate with DeWalt Flexvolt drill on an 8" auger has been flawless this season since I bought it. Light and very fast. Best hundred bucks I ever spent. Super light as a bonus.
i agree the best thing that i have bought in 40 years of ice fishing
clam plate with 5 amp battery all the way

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks